Rural King

MSA North & East - Montgomery, Sumner, and Wilson Counties

It also screams for more retail within the city. I am tired of the same ol' chain restaurants, Kroger and Food Lion as the only grocery options, 4 Wal-marts and a line of 12 cars at the Starbucks drive thru.

Thoughts? With studies like this coming out every year naming Clarksville, where do you think the city and county are headed? Do these numbers continue to encourage Clarksville as a separate entity from Nashville?

4 Wal-Marts but only one Starbucks? Demographics are weird, we have 3 Starbucks in Jackson and only two Wally-Worlds - albeit the downtown Starbucks is getting the axe with the recent cut-back in stores by corporate.Over here we can also relate to the lack in grocery chains - 4 Krogers - 1 Food Giant owned Market Place - and one substantial independent "Camps" makes one want at least another option - Schnucks, Publix, etc. - even if all the Krogers are well-ran and offer great variety.

As for thoughts. I think that moving forward with merging the city and county is something that should happen, but the benefits of consolidating governments will have to be sold and re-inforced to county residents for some time to come. As the city grows as the ever larger percentage of the county's population I think it will become easier to sell to the the county residents.

I would wager that this growth will help re-inforce and maintain the seperate identity of Clarksville from Nashville.

4 Wal-Marts but only one Starbucks? Demographics are weird, we have 3 Starbucks in Jackson and only two Wally-Worlds - albeit the downtown Starbucks is getting the axe with the recent cut-back in stores by corporate.

We have two Starbucks in the city and one on post. It just seems like everyone in town goes for coffee at the same time as me!

^ LOL Gotcha - I was thinking you were saying the city only had one Starbucks which seemed weird for the population, so I just chalked it up to different demographics. Maybe your Starbucks is the better one, thus the reason for the long lines ;).

I am surprised no one posted this.

Clarksville is ion the running for a new Dow Corning plant that could employee 4000. This will be a huge boost to the areas economy if built. This is 4 times the number of jobs that the VW plant will bring.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=61741

I heard ECD Commissioner Matt Kisber had been working on something for Clarksville but the Nashville Post article I saw referenced of course is for subscribers only.....so I figured it was only a matter of time before another media outlet would pick up the story and divulge it for free....thus leading it here. LOL

This would be HUGE! I so hope Clarksville lands this chemical plant. The economic benefits such a plant and employment boost could have on the city could be staggering. The direct payroll and that from subsidary contract work for local businesses (tool & die, commercial supplies, etc) would tremedously boost the ability of the city draw in new retail, dining, and commercial businesses. Not to mention the shot in the arm to the residential construction in the city.

The tax base of the city would of course also go up, which would hopefully enable the city to operate without raising taxes and still have extra funds for new enhancement and infrastructure projects.This simply would be great for Clarksville and the State of Tennessee.

Matt Kisber for Governor if he pulls this off after landing VW - not the mention the countless other smaller plants and businesses that have come to or expanded in TN under his tenure as ECD Commissioner.

I am surprised no one posted this.

Clarksville is ion the running for a new Dow Corning plant that could employee 4000. This will be a huge boost to the areas economy if built. This is 4 times the number of jobs that the VW plant will bring.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=61741

I read an article which stated the plant could employ 4,000 or 400. Haha, I don't think it is very clear how many would be employed. I would like to see Clarksville get this project much, MUCH more than I would have liked them to get the VW plant. Also, I'm not sure but I do believe the land being eyed is the certified megasite.

I read an article which stated the plant could employ 4,000 or 400. Haha, I don't think it is very clear how many would be employed. I would like to see Clarksville get this project much, MUCH more than I would have liked them to get the VW plant. Also, I'm not sure but I do believe the land being eyed is the certified megasite.

I think you are correct about the mega site. There could be a lot of industry come to Clarksville because of this.

Here is a link to the mega site announcement.

http://www.clarksville.tn.us/news-html/2007/01/news0075.html

Yes. The land in question is the Commerce Park megasite off of I-24, Exit 4. We have heard rumors of this for quite a while now. I hope it becomes a finalized deal.

Haven't had much traffic around here lately. So, I thought I would post something.

Clarksville's Legion Street/Strawberry Alley project has been completed. It was voted the best public works project in Tennessee for 2008. The final piece to the project was a 22 feet statue dedicated to the children of the area. You can see the story below.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs....D=2008811260331

I think Clarksville has really come a long way in revitalizing our downtown area since the tornado, which will be ten years removed in January 2009.

Edited by miami1855

Haven't had much traffic around here lately. So, I thought I would post something.

Clarksville's Legion Street/Strawberry Alley project has been completed. It was voted the best public works project in Tennessee for 2008. The final piece to the project was a 22 feet statue dedicated to the children of the area. You can see the story below.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs....D=2008811260331

I think Clarksville has really come a long way in revitalizing our downtown area since the tornado, which will be ten years removed in January 2009.

That's very nice. I think that is a great way to revitalize an urban historic area. What's going on around the new hospital? Are all the mobile homes still accross from it? What about the old hospital? Was'nt it to be demolished for a major retail development?

That's very nice. I think that is a great way to revitalize an urban historic area. What's going on around the new hospital? Are all the mobile homes still across from it? What about the old hospital? Wasn't it to be demolished for a major retail development?

As far as the area around the new hospital, there is a mix of small and large-scale office buildings being developed...only one completed at this point. The new Physicians Office Building 1, which ties into the hospital, is move-in ready now I believe. Also, they are pushing a large corporate office/retail park directly across from the hospital, but I do not believe it has gotten off the ground as of yet.

As far as the old hospital, the Atlanta-based company that was to develop the area with retail has backed out. However, I believe a Brentwood-based company has entered into an agreement to develop the area. Parts of the hospital are still being used until early next year...physician offices and the Lifelight helipad. Lifelight will be moving out to Outlaw Field, where they have built a new hanger, early next year. Some of the physicians have been waiting to move into the new Physicians Building 1, which should now be finished.

Also, we keep hearing rumors of all kinds of big box retail coming out to the Sango area. However, I believe they are all waiting for the 41-A widening project to begin, which has been pushed off due to the state's budget problems.

Dow Corn Refinery will open a new plant in Clarksville. The plant will be located near Rossview Rd. and will impact the area substantially as Volkswagen will do for Chattanooga. This is truly wonderful for Clarksville and the Middle Tennessee area. An official announcement will be made on Monday.

Dow Corn Refinery will open a new plant in Clarksville. The plant will be located near Rossview Rd. and will impact the area substantially as Volkswagen will do for Chattanooga. This is truly wonderful for Clarksville and the Middle Tennessee area. An official announcement will be made on Monday.

Lots of new money in this area of Clarksville too. Have you seen some of the nice homes popping up out there???

As far as the area around the new hospital, there is a mix of small and large-scale office buildings being developed...only one completed at this point. The new Physicians Office Building 1, which ties into the hospital, is move-in ready now I believe. Also, they are pushing a large corporate office/retail park directly across from the hospital, but I do not believe it has gotten off the ground as of yet.

As far as the old hospital, the Atlanta-based company that was to develop the area with retail has backed out. However, I believe a Brentwood-based company has entered into an agreement to develop the area. Parts of the hospital are still being used until early next year...physician offices and the Lifelight helipad. Lifelight will be moving out to Outlaw Field, where they have built a new hanger, early next year. Some of the physicians have been waiting to move into the new Physicians Building 1, which should now be finished.

Also, we keep hearing rumors of all kinds of big box retail coming out to the Sango area. However, I believe they are all waiting for the 41-A widening project to begin, which has been pushed off due to the state's budget problems.

Im going to try to get some photos of the Strawberry Alley project and also the new office building going up across from Gateway Medical Center. I think the new office building looks very nice and is certainly an upgrade on the majority of what has been built in St. B.

I'm excited about the Dow Corning project which is supposed to be announced by Gov. Bredeson on Monday. I don't think it will be employing a tremendous amount of local people but I do think this mega-investment (said to be the largest industrial investment in Tennessee history including the VW plant in Chattanooga) could possibly bring in other businesses.

To clarify, the corporation coming to Clarksville is Hemlock Semiconductor Corporation, a division of Dow Corning. The company will produce silicone-based semiconductors for use on things like cell phones, video games, solar panels and many other industrial uses. It is said that they will employ a minimum of 500 people when they first begin production in 2011 or so. Their investment in this venture is said to be upwards of $1.1 billion, more than Volkswagen's investment in Chattanooga.

Im going to try to get some photos of the Strawberry Alley project and also the new office building going up across from Gateway Medical Center. I think the new office building looks very nice and is certainly an upgrade on the majority of what has been built in St. B.

I'm excited about the Dow Corning project which is supposed to be announced by Gov. Bredeson on Monday. I don't think it will be employing a tremendous amount of local people but I do think this mega-investment (said to be the largest industrial investment in Tennessee history including the VW plant in Chattanooga) could possibly bring in other businesses.

Some pics taken this weekend. The first is the new office building being constructed across from the new Gateway Hospital.

3110965106_bcd58e7e93.jpg

Below is the new Gateway Hospital (Rear Side)

3110965404_0c68c1bf22.jpg

Below are some shots of the refurbished Legion Street now known as Strawberry Alley. This was really an eyesore before with electrical lines all over the place and dumpsters on the street. It is now a one way street with wide sidewalks and a new 22 foot fountain.

3110133863_104b4da255.jpg

3110134631_64160fc078.jpg

3110134197_29fc3ab110.jpg

Hemlock made the official announcment today.

They are indeed investing upwards of 1 billion and will bring 900 jobs. Once built, this will be the single largest investment in Tennessee history. Austin Peay State University will also be recieving millions to start a program to train students for work in the facility.

Production should start in 2012.

With all the jobs being lost lately with the economy, this is certainly a breath of fresh air.

Great shots. Too bad the city and CDE did not make the initial investment to bury those power lines.

Also, I wonder when construction of the second medical office building will begin? Once finished, this will be a massive complex.

Below is the new Gateway Hospital (Rear Side)

3110965404_0c68c1bf22.jpg

Edited by miami1855

Great shots. Too bad the city and CDE did not make the initial investment to bury those power lines.

Also, I wonder when construction of the second medical office building will begin? Once finished, this will be a massive complex.

I agree about the powerlines especially since I enjoy taking photographs. Power lines will ruin a picture every time! Grrrrrr.

I wasn't aware there was going to be a second office building. Cool. It's good to see Clarksville getting some of these.

You know...I wonder why "they" put this new hospital right behind Governor's Square Mall? Everything about the mall and surroundings are so dated late 80's ?

You know...I wonder why "they" put this new hospital right behind Governor's Square Mall? Everything about the mall and surroundings are so dated late 80's ?

There was some initial talk about re-building Governor's Square over in this area and turning the old mall into some updated retail.

There was some initial talk about re-building Governor's Square over in this area and turning the old mall into some updated retail.

What ever bacame of the the Marina that was supposed to be built on the river at Riverside drive hwy 48 area and the revival of the Two Rivers mall? Wasn't Belk returning to this mall as a second Clarks-vegas location?

What ever bacame of the the Marina that was supposed to be built on the river at Riverside drive hwy 48 area and the revival of the Two Rivers mall? Wasn't Belk returning to this mall as a second Clarks-vegas location?

I don't know anything about Two Rivers but I believe funding has just been approved for the Marina and water park.

I don't know anything about Two Rivers but I believe funding has just been approved for the Marina and water park.

Yes. The marina will begin demolition and construction at Fairgrounds Park in April or May and is slated to be completed by the late 2010.

As far as Two Rivers, it has been remodeled into an open air "mall." There is Hooters, Casa Blanca, Surplus Warehouse, Citi Trends, Harbor Freight Tools, Cheeseburger Charley's and Kickers Night Club. It is not an upscale place by any means, but a major upgrade from the old empty indoor mall.