Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

Welcome to the new Clarksville Urban Discussion Thread! This thread is here for everyone interested in posting and discussing news and urban developments for Tennessee's 5th largest city.

New Members are encouraged to join and participate in this thread to help foster the traffic and interest in Clarksville related urban discussions. The more members we have from and/or discussing Clarksville will help enable UP to one day potentially establish a dedicated sub-forum for the city. So participation on a regular basis is vital! :)

Enjoy!!!

Welcome to the new Franklin / Williamson County Urban Discussion Thread! This thread is established as a location for the discussion of urban related topics for the City of Franklin and Williamson County.

New members are encouraged to join and participate in this thread in order to foster an increased interest and discussion of Franklin and Williamson County here on UP. The more members we have from and/or discussing Franklin and Williamson County will help enable UP to one day potentially establish a dedicated sub-forum. So participation on a regular basis is vital! :)

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

Here is your first post guys. Work on Harlinsdale Farm Park is ready to start. This is great news for you guys down there. At least some of the land is not going to be developed. This is going to be a 200 acre park. A good investment for Franklin. Here is the article from the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../802130316/1177

post #2. I will get the scoop on what's going on in the government board room discussions recently when I see my buddy this weekend. Last I heard the discussions recently were infastructure related such as new sewer systems etc. Franklin rd is set to be widened just past concord rd all the way to moors ln. I beleve it will be a 4 lane road. The city is also getting a new massive fire station that apparently caused commotion in the votes because it will be somewhat tall by franklins standards (5 stories I beleve) and will be pretty close to downtown.

As of two weeks ago the discussion was on how to make the downtown area more friendly to semi's so they can pass through. Some ideas were tossed around but I don't know what the verdict was. I'll get back to you this weekend with the latest.

P.S. The meetings I'm talking about are the government board meetings. All of the top dogs of franklin are there including the mayor so they're not BS meetings.

Did anyone see in the paper the thing on the redevelopment of City Hall? It's horrendous! It's a modernist monstrosity that's landed in our sweet, classicist town, and I think I'm going to die if Crosland wins the competition. I think that if it was approved it would kill DT Franklin. I wish I could post the photos, but the Tennessean only posted one of them on the website, and it was a good-looking one; not the picture of a big, glass beast lurking over the square.

Here is your first post guys. Work on Harlinsdale Farm Park is ready to start. This is great news for you guys down there. At least some of the land is not going to be developed. This is going to be a 200 acre park. A good investment for Franklin. Here is the article from the Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../802130316/1177

A 200 acre park for the city of Franklin. What a great asset that will be! Definitely good news for Franklin residents.

Two medical related firms have announced a new 22,000 sq/ft joint facility neat the new Medical District in Clarksville. Renderings and more information are contained within the Leaf-Chronical article that can be read by clicking here.

The article's rendering shows a nice clean modern two story structure that should fit in well with the sort of modern medical facilities and offices probably aslo destined to locate in that area as infill starts to develop around the new hospital. It would be great if some locals could elaborate on what is going on out there with the new medical distirct, hospital, etc., as I know absolutely no specifics of what's planned for the area.

Ironically, Clarksville is in the middle of a re-branding campaign right now. So, "Gateway" may be replaced with a new slogan soon.

Have any alternatives been mentioned as possible replacements?

It would be great if some locals could elaborate on what is going on out there with the new medical distirct, hospital, etc., as I know absolutely no specifics of what's planned for the area.

The new Gateway Medical Center is set to open in April with two adjacent five story medical office buildings to be completed by year's end.

construction_future.jpg

Also, a mix of apartment/condo residential and doctor's offices/pharmacies are already starting to sprout around the area. This is the area both east and west of Ted Crozier Blvd and between the mall area and I-24. This area has been deemed a capital improvements district, with incentives from the city for builders.

Have any alternatives been mentioned as possible replacements?

I am not sure as to what the final campaign will be. I know an agency out of Nashville is handling it.

The new Gateway Medical Center is set to open in April with two adjacent five story medical office buildings to be completed by year's end.

construction_future.jpg

Sorry, but that design is so uninspiring, even for a hospital built twenty years ago, much less for a brand new one.

If someone can dig up a pic of the Sutter Roseville (CA) Medical Center, you will see that hospitals can -- and I argue, should -- be designed in innovative and inspiring ways. Things like skylights throughout, and corridors that run at angles, and curves at interesting focal points, and well you get the idea. I'm no architect, but I'm like most people who can appreciate when a hospital doesn't look like a hospital.

The best I could find, but it shows only the front canopy. It's designed in a prairie style (with some Spanish mission undertones)...

http://sutterroseville.org/about/directions.html#2

Clarksville has never been a mecca for modern architectural design. However, I am at least glad that we are building for our population finally.

If I can get some photos of some of our new medical office clusters popping up around the area, I will post. Their designs are much more pleasing to the eye.

Anyone have a link to the story and/or renderings for the proposed new Franklin CityHall(Municipal Building?) that has been mentioned as controversial.

Would that be different from the Franklin Police HQ? I have seen links to that from the Tennessean website (Williamson Co. Section). Don't know if it is still posted. However, it's a large building of about 90K sq.ft. and has the classic mid-20th century municipal building look to it. All brick and 3 stories (I think). It looks urban.

^ Not sure. I was getting the impression that a new municipal building was in the works for city services, but perhaps their are seperate city hall, police, and fire projects in the works. Perhaps a local could clear that up for me.

I'll go dig around the Williamson County page on the Tennessean in the meantime and see if I can find any links.

Yeah the hospital is definitley a plain jane utilitarian structure, but like miami1855 said it's principle purpose is what matters at the end of the day and it's is good news that Clarksville is getting a new hospital facility to serve it's rapidly growing population needs.

I would definitely like to see some pics from out in that area of the city if you can take some miami1855. :)

Any news on any new projects downtown as far redevelopment of existing structures, lots, or infrastructure assets?

With the new hospital nearby, are there any updates planned for Govorner's Square Mall? It has looked the same since it was built in the 80's.....

The mall has become the place "not to go" in Clarksville. Gangs and violence are pretty rampant in and around the mall area.

There was talk about building an entirely new mall nearby, but I don't think that was much more than talk.

Is Governor's Place Mall really that bad? Or is it more of an impression have developed not entirely based around facts on the ground, but rather on a few high profile incidents and/or hear-say. I find many malls seem to get bad raps, esp. older ones, but often the case is much different from the bleak and scary impression one might get from some folks.

Is Governor's Place Mall really that bad? Or is it more of an impression have developed not entirely based around facts on the ground, but rather on a few high profile incidents and/or hear-say. I find many malls seem to get bad raps, esp. older ones, but often the case is much different from the bleak and scary impression one might get from some folks.

Gov. Sq. is difficult to navigate. It's like a big dark maze on halloween night with all the "goths", "rednecks" and "ruffnecks". It's too bad that the "Sango development" never materialized.

There is a good mix of stores at GSM. However, the mall is very outdated and somewhat difficult to navigate. There is no planned flow for traffic to navigate the mall, instead you drive "to" the mall and not around it, persay. Clarksville deserves better than this. The Sango area is gaining attention and even though the other mall did not materialize, there's bound to be something there. I just hope it's different from the many open air malls that are going up nowadays.