The Height Thread....Time to discuss again....

Paramount747

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

It's a board to discuss the built environment.  I would imagine every single person on here loves Nashville.  We all root for this city...and we also root for it to always keep improving on what is already a beautiful city.

Not sure exactly where you are seeing people who are distraught, upset, angry and unhappy.  It's just a discussion.

Agreed.  People are critical BECAUSE they love Nashville and care about it's built environment.  Plus, like you said, it's a hobby for most of us too.  When I'm watching the Bulls play basketball, I yell at my TV and swear like a lunatic when Pau Gasol travels with the basketball, but nobody would ever take that as a sign that I'm depressed and unhappy with life.  What a bizarre thing to suggest.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ingram said:

People and companies build what they want to build at the height they deem best for there financial interest. It seems that is very hard for many people on this forum to understand. This is not a sporting event between cities. Especially for the developers. 

Its funny in a way, but it is also very sad in another way. Business people come here and like the city. Conventioneers come here and like the city. Tourists come here and like the city. Almost all of them love the way the buildings in downtown Nashville look. They also like how eclectic the buildings are and that they all differ one another in looks. Downtown was even used as a background in movies like the matrix and the 6th day. Looking at One Nashville, AT & T, Pinnacle, the arena, and the convention center you can see why. 

You have so many people moving here that people call Nashville the "hottest city in the country". Those people would not be coming here if Nashville was as unattractive that many on this forum make it out to be? 

I have to throw some cold water and ask, why is this forum so filled with daily unhappiness, caterwauling, and negativity? Is it a form of therapy? I ask because most people who are happy stay away from things that make them unhappy. From reading the posts on this forum one has no other alternative than to come to the conclusion that a lot of people on this forum are unhappy. So why make yourself distraught, upset, angry, and unhappy with daily and weekly negativity?

I get exactly what you are saying, and agree with much of it....but as others have stated, I think you're missing a key point here. This is a board, not only of avid followers of development, but enthusiasts, junkies, dreamers....whatever you want to call us. I totally get the pragmatic side of things....the side that says, "hey, look what we've got! Most cities envy us right now!"

But the flip side of that is that we're not just satisfied with whatever is shoved our way. We can be appreciative and critical at the same time. Nashville has an incredible amount of development underway, but we don't want that development to be just what any other city can get. We at least want some of it to be exceptional (whether in terms of height, architecture, or both). What bragging rights do we have if we have the most....utilitarian buildings under construction. We might as well be a Soviet city!

All kidding aside, please don't mistake people being critical or venting their frustrations with redesigns or whatnot with true unhappiness. I doubt many here (especially that live here) would trade their position right now to be elsewhere. Nashville in the 2010s is a special place to be. Sometimes I want to blast people for being negative (I made my positions clear earlier in the thread)....but even I have to remember that some people are just venting their frustrations over Nashville not reaching their expectations. Is it really a bad thing to have people that care enough to hold the city to a higher than normal standard? I personally think that's why we're currently in the place we are. 

In any case, I encourage you to join us in discussion, especially at a forum meet. I think you'll get a much different perspective of folks when you meet them in person. A lot of the "negativity" is either in jest or actually out of love for the city.

On 2/5/2016 at 3:59 PM, MLBrumby said:

Perhaps Mayor Barry might strike up a trade... what? in exchange for Devon?  Would you guys give up Low Bro?  What about The Gulch?  How about Germantown?  Salemtown?   Okay... I'd offer Alex Palmer's hole (that is the one on West End)... and I'd consider throwing Alex himself into the deal.  Whatchathink? 

If Mayor Barry wants to trade anything, maybe send a couple of smaller companies to Cool Springs in exchange for Nissan's North American HQ. Nissan would've been a big-time signature tower for downtown. Pipe dream, I know, but it's nice to imagine.

Archived