Nashville Olympics Fantasy proposal

UTgrad09

For the fun of it, I'll post the ideas I would have if Nashville was to host the Olympics. Not that I think we should ever push for the Olympics (for a myriad of reasons), but this is purely an exercise in fantasy. Feel free to add your own ideas, but as this is a fantasy proposal, and the Olympics has been discussed before, please don't make it a thread to host the merits of hosting the Olympics (that has been discussed before). But feel free to add your own ideas or critiques. 

-New Olympic Stadium in the current Titans parking lot. The current stadium would be razed in favor of a parking garage that has green space on top (essentially public park land). This would serve the major track and field events as well as soccer matches (and obviously ceremonies)

-Bridgestone Arena would not be razed, but extensively renovated. The location is too valuable. It would obviously serve as the basketball and gymnastics venue.

-Municipal Auditorium would be available for small/medium sized events.

-Centennial Sportsplex would be transformed into a series of large venues for swimming, tennis, field hockey, etc.

-Rather than natural whitewater, an artificial course would be created in the hills of NW Nashville.

-Equestrian would naturally take place at Percy Warner Park.

-Rowing would take place on either Old Hickory or J Percy Priest Lake (not sure which would be better for such).

For the most part, venues would be constructed on existing public property, and either renovating or outright using existing venues. "Olympic Village" would be on the (former) scrapyard site on the east bank. Not only would it have easy access to Olympic Stadium, but could continue after use as an apartment district. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.  Plus...you could have events at certain college venues, if needed.  Like boxing or wrestling at the Curb Events Center or someplace similar (not sure how big the venue needs to be for that.)  If they insisted on white water being on an actual ww river, they could always go back to the Ocoee...which isn't too far away, as far as the Olympics would be concerned.

Marathon would be easy, considering we have one every year.

We'd have to build a velodrome, or whatever it's called, for cycling.

Do they still have Olympic soccer?  How would that work?  That would have to be a different location than Olympic Stadium, right?  Oh...and Olympic stadium...they'd have the track, but then I don't think the Titans would want to use a stadium with a track, afterwards.

since our discussion last week, I have been checking things out, i printed the ioc hosting requirements and am in process of compiling a list of current venues and their seating capacity, I would want to use as much existing infrastructure as possible, AND i would want the entire state involved. With events in all major cities.  

rowing events all require 2k meters,   there is actually enough space for that in memphis between downtown and mud island. depending on width requirements,

reuse ocoee

ut swim center.  

soccer, if still a part could be played state wide as well. 

baseball and softball are being added back in so those sites could also be spread out. 

obviously something would have to be in the ryman, 

honestly let memphis have some first roudn basketball games too.

btw I am taking the jurassic park approach

I am spending all my time figuring out how and if we can do this and not thinking at all if we should, like kevin said this is all in fun.

If they insisted on white water being on an actual ww river, they could always go back to the Ocoee...which isn't too far away, as far as the Olympics would be concerned.

Interestingly the Ocoee has been the only actual river to host an Olympic competition. But even it's not natural, the riverbed in the vicinity of the Whitewater Center was rebuilt specifically for the Games and of course the flow is tightly controlled.

For soccer, don't forget Vanderbilt and Floyd Stadiums. Average attendance at the 2012 Olympics was 37,000; Vanderbilt can hold that and I'm sure MTSU would like to finish off their second deck. It could also utilize a rebuilt and expanded Greer Stadium, complete with guitar scoreboard, because naturally any city that hosts an Olympics can maintain an MLS team. Ditto for First Tennessee Park and the show.

I'm otherwise going to take the no-fun route and say most of the venues should be temporary. But I like the idea of an indoor velodrome (with a versatile infield) and a new aquatic center (with temporary seating) for Centennial, as well as an athletics stadium to replace the Car Hole.

Archived