Vertis Green Hills, 19 stories, 301 apartments, 67,000 sq. ft. retail/office, $125 million

dmillsphoto

As others have said, the only real concern I have about this one is whether or not the residential tower is facing the street or not.  I fear that it isn't, given the fact that it is diagonal, but it's just so difficult to get a sense of proper perspective in renderings sometimes. 

As others have said, the only real concern I have about this one is whether or not the residential tower is facing the street or not.  I fear that it isn't, given the fact that it is diagonal, but it's just so difficult to get a sense of proper perspective in renderings sometimes. 

Oh, it will be 'facing' the street...haha. It won't be fronting it, though. I can say that with relative certainty.

I'm not super concerned about that. Green Hills isn't an urban hood. While they might develop more of an urban approach in certain areas, make no mistake, this is not the old core. There aren't any design standards that will ruin an urban neighborhood. You could redevelop the entire commercial district and you would still be surrounded by what is more or less suburbia.

As long as the building and site itself are a good use of the land area (which it appears they are), I will be fine with it. People looking to live/work in Green Hills aren't exactly the same as those looking to live/work in, say, The Gulch.

A Crate & Barrel would be ideal for this location.  It would really remind me of the Crate & Barrel on Michigan Ave in Chicago.  Just like that one it could be 3 or 4 floors with big windows overlooking the road and sidewalk.  The timing seems to be working out perfectly....C&B opens up a pop up store (which will be successful) and as it is closing for the season this building will begin rising. Then they will announce that its the first retail tenant.  

I agree about it's diagonal-ness. Considering we are all probably thinking about addressing the street, who cares in this case? Is Richard Jones Rd really the next major up-and-coming area? Nah, didn't think so. I like it,

Well of course it's not, but to me it's the principle of the matter.  You're right that given it's location, it's not exactly the end of the world if it's not built right up to the street.  In fact, it might look a bit awkward in that location if it was. 

However, just because this particular area doesn't have a history of being urban and isn't currently a 'hip' neighborhood doesn't mean that design standards should just be thrown out the window.  People are acting as if this is in the middle of nowhere, so it doesn't matter, but Hillsboro Village is a little over a mile up the road, not to mention the fact that Green Hills as a whole is beginning to urbanize in it's own right. 

I'm not saying that the fact that the tower is diagonal is an automatic problem, and I agree that it could be interesting if done right, but there are many scales of gray that can be achieved that would still be appropriate to the area, I think, that we should strive for.  I don't agree with, nor do I understand the notion that because this isn't smack in the middle of the inner city that an 'anything goes' attitude in regards to development will suffice.  I mean, I wouldn't be okay with it if it were surrounding by surface parking, would you? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I agree about it's diagonal-ness. Considering we are all probably thinking about addressing the street, who cares in this case? Is Richard Jones Rd really the next major up-and-coming area? Nah, didn't think so. I like it,

I like it, too. I'm not criticising, I'm just interested in what will be between the building and Richard Jones Rd. I am imagining a fairly nice green space.

We all talk about how Green Hills needs more cross-connection streets. Well, Richard Jones will never be that, but it is one of the more prominent Ts, and the more development that happens along these T streets, particularly between Hillsboro and Lone Oak, the more Green Hills will start to fill out east-to-west and not just north-south. I'm not sure if/how/when that Abbott Martin connection to Lone Oak will happen, but this type of infill is a good start in the mean time. Reading the Planning staff analysis on a few other Green Hills infill projects, I note that they are starting to recommend that new infill developments make room for sidewalks and other pedestrian amentities. All of this is a great start.

And Green Hills may not be hipsterville, but this building will be the envy of many hipsters because it is directly across the street from Trader Joe's.

Here comes the NIMBY parade.

Well I mean come on, there are so many things that a tall tower would distract you from in Green Hills. The lovely bumper to bumper traffic. Your cell phone while driving. The beautiful surface lots and parking garages of Green Hills mall. Keep Green Hill's history alive!

• Like 3

Well I mean come on, there are so many things that a tall tower would distract you from in Green Hills. The lovely bumper to bumper traffic. Your cell phone while driving. The beautiful surface lots and parking garages of Green Hills mall. Keep Green Hill's history alive!

How about talking on the phone while putting on makeup including eyeliner while driving in the bumper-to-bumper traffic from one surface lot to the other to purchase more makeup?  It's the Real Housewives of Green Hills!

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten that they would be relocating their offices to this tower.  That's a major success for Nashville to lure them into the city and out of the suburbs.  I don't know how many employees they have, but I would assume it would be at least a 50-100. One more piece of evidence that the tide has turned on the flight from the city to the 'burbs for companies and people. 

• Like 1

It's going to be an impressive tower for sure, at least height wise! It will be interesting to see how this impacts the surrounding Green Hills neighborhood. And by Green Hills, I am referring to the viable "commerical" space around the mall area and not the individual housing neighborhoods, per se.

• Like 1

Now where did I hear/read that S-L does not need any rezoning at this site?  It looks like the zoning allows the 22-story building, based on the setback requirements. It's the reason it sits so far back from the street.  Reading one of the quotes in this article, I expect we'll see the 14-story building get built here.  I appears to be their strategy to propose the 22-story building, and then "settle" on the 14-story plan as part of a compromise.  

I swear, some people just like complaining to complain. That, or they are terrified of any change ever. This would be a gigantic boost to their neighborhood, but theyd rather stick with the old gas station and parking lot because useful development might add a few more cars to the street. Tough cookies.