Vertis Green Hills, 19 stories, 301 apartments, 67,000 sq. ft. retail/office, $125 million

dmillsphoto

I hope they slap an extra 10 stories on it and tell those NIMBYs to go do something useful for once. 

Well, they are going with 16, but I concede your point. I prefer the shorter height myself, but this group, like the Anti-AMP people, offer no alternative. They just complain.

Edited by Urban Architecture

• 1 month later...

Here is the article announcing the "scaling back" of this project. Back to 16 stories,

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/02/southern-land-files-new-plans-for.html

slc-1401-hillsboro-hi-res*600.jpg

This looks great, actually this render makes the project look more impressive and it seems to address the street nicely, although it's always hard to tell from a render.

This proposal is so gorgeous, please let it be built.

This one will happen. Crews were taking down one of the billboards a few days ago.

I feel sorry for all the NIMBYs who will have to eat crow when this attractive project is done. Whosoever stands in the way of progress to save a gas station, old burger king, and a bunch of crappy billboards- shame on you.

• Like 4

If the final height is 14-16, than that is fine. That is not too out of scale. What is more offensive is the traffic, a sprawling mall, a non pedestrian culture, and a conceited attitude of many in the area.

This is an area of town I avoid at all costs. The last time I went to buy a winter coat on sale, it took me almost an hour to get there on 21st Avenue/Hillsboro Road. What I saved on a coat, cost me in time,  and idle fuel burning by sitting in traffic. Why people put up with this I have no idea...oh that's right, public transportation is for poor people or the 47% which are the takers.

• Like 2

If the final height is 14-16, than that is fine. That is not too out of scale. What is more offensive is the traffic, a sprawling mall, a non pedestrian culture, and a conceited attitude of many in the area.

This is an area of town I avoid at all costs. The last time I went to buy a winter coat on sale, it took me almost an hour to get there on 21st Avenue/Hillsboro Road. What I saved on a coat, cost me in time,  and idle fuel burning by sitting in traffic. Why people put up with this I have no idea...oh that's right, public transportation is for poor people or the 47% which are the takers.

Other than travel to my company's main headquarters on Burton Hills, I avoid Green Hills as much as I can.  I wish that Parnassus Books would move out of the back of one of those strip centers and into a place that is more accessible.

This project will do much to increase walkability in Green Hills. it will bring new modern sidewalks, better crosswalks, and new possibilities. Residents will not have to drive into green hills and park two or three times to stop at the grocery store, the book store, pull into the gas station, etc... they will be able to just cross the street. Likewise, the office workers of this building will be able to commute in the morning, park once, and then accomplish most daily errands - grabbing lunch or whatever- on foot.

I fail to see how a gas station and a drive through coffee shop with cracked or nonexistent sidewalks ever encouraged pedestrian culture. Can you give me an example of what you mean by that?

This project will do much to increase walkability in Green Hills. it will bring new modern sidewalks, better crosswalks, and new possibilities. Residents will not have to drive into green hills and park two or three times to stop at the grocery store, the book store, pull into the gas station, etc... they will be able to just cross the street. Likewise, the office workers of this building will be able to commute in the morning, park once, and then accomplish most daily errands - grabbing lunch or whatever- on foot.

I fail to see how a gas station and a drive through coffee shop with cracked or nonexistent sidewalks ever encouraged pedestrian culture. Can you give me an example of what you mean by that?

Chelovek, I hope you are right! That is the goal of the building, but will the rest of Green Hills participate? From their recent horrid attempts of development, I think not. Everything built in the past 20 years with the exception of Hill Center, is designed for the automobile. As some of Green Hills have demonstrated, they don't want new ideas.

• 2 months later...

Apparently no fuss over the mall expanding, though, which seems hypocritical if traffic is your main beef.

I agree, if Saks or Neimans came in and wanted to build a 5 story dept store, there would be absolutely no opposition.

I think having a 16-story mixed use tower over several 2-3 story apartment buildings spread out over acres and acres(which is what we have at Hillsboro and Woodmont) is better for traffic. Not to mention all of the 2-3 story office complexes and suites.

I hate that The Southern Land Company is having such a hard time getting this great addition to the Green Hills area started but, it should be a cautionary note to future developers anything other than retail and maybe hotels will make " traffic problems" worse and to stay away from any proposal for apartments or condo towers. That is perfectly fine with me if zero new buildings were built south or west of 440, let them just live in there 1982 world. The urban core is where it's at anyway the HELL with them who cares.

I hate that The Southern Land Company is having such a hard time getting this great addition to the Green Hills area started but, it should be a cautionary note to future developers anything other than retail and maybe hotels will make " traffic problems" worse and to stay away from any proposal for apartments or condo towers. That is perfectly fine with me if zero new buildings were built south or west of 440, let them just live in there 1982 world. The urban core is where it's at anyway the HELL with them who cares.

I would love to have this in town anyway, but the residents are simply avoiding the inevitable.

Charlotte Cooper, president of the neighbor's group opposed to what would be Green Hills' tallest building, said most residents don't want to see "Green Hills turn into a sea of skyscrapers."

While Nashville is having a modest highrise boom, I find this viewpoint to be a bit baffling. First of all, I would hardly describe a 16-17 story building as a "skyscraper". But even if you do, the odds of Green Hills becoming a "sea of skyscrapers" is far fetched. I guess the fears are born out of what Buckhead has become, and I suppose you could draw a few parallels between what Buckhead is to Atlanta, and what Green Hills is to Nashville. But even the Gulch has managed just 3 highrises, with a few more on the way, in about a decade. And the Gulch is pretty much designed to be a high density neighborhood of highrises and midrises. Green Hills? Not so much. I could see a handful of highrises being built there. A "sea" of them, though? Yeah. Maybe when the Gulch, Downtown, Midtown, and SoBro fill up, then we'll see skyscrapers take over Green Hills. 

I wouldn't hold my breath, though, lady.

• Like 2