Tarrants Bay

Ghentite

Aside from this, a huge mixed-use development in fort Norfolk  is making it way up the city approval chain.  It will be located on the water (with a large new marina) behind the Riverview Lofts and the Fort Norfolk Medical Center, next to Plum Point Park along the Elizabeth River Walking Trail.  Keep an eye out for it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I can definitely live with it! lol

I agree with you on the glass buildings downtown. Do you suppose any developments will be built above MacAuthur's Mall?  It appears that the 3rd anchor spot would be a good place for a mixed use residential tower. We can include a large retail anchor at the ground levels.

Fort Norfolk is starting to take off right now! I think we will hear quite a bit more in the next year or so. I am hoping to see a hotel and some residential towers near the waterfront. I would also love to see a mini-TownCenter type development spring up here with a row of nice restaurants and shoppes that offer late night shopping and entertainment.

I like it, but honestly, they need a better land use plan. Add some height to the building, make it skinnier, and then put a park next to it right at the marina. It wouild be the Fort Norfolk version of Town Point Park and would be an excellent gathering place for residents from the other developments. This needs its own thread btw. Don't be surprised to see your posts moved.

• vdogg pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic

On a side note I wonder now if the pilot will print a retraction to that one article claiming there is no actual TOD in the area, not going to hold my breath though. I think this project and Harbos Edge 2 proves that light rail is working for the area. 

When I first saw it, I thought of the Residence Inn off Brambleton, just much wider. I think a "twin tower" setup would look nice. Maybe one tower is apartments, and the other is offices.

Eager to see what kind of shops will go along the ground floor.

It's funny, because this building it going to block the water views in most of the offices in Fort Norfolk Plaza.

Usually I'm one to say taller is better, but since this is being built so close to the water it might need a larger footprint. The ground may need too much pilings and be too expensive.

Overall, the exterior design feels bland.

Exterior is definitely bland. This thing looks exactly like Harbor Heights, just with redder brick. It is very...Norfolk. I think some more glass and some curvier or slanted architecture will do wonders for the building. I really don't see them changing anything though. This is the type of building that sails through design review. It's very safe.

I understand some of the frustration with the architecture and design..I think that we can all agree that we want what's best for the City of Norfolk and we all have invested our time and energy here on urban planet lobbying for more inspiring architectural designs. With that said, I am more than thrilled for the Tarrants' Bay project even if it ends up being built as-is depicted in the rendering.While I agree that this land is invaluable to the city and that the developers should seek to maximize its utility and incorporate uses that are inclusive and accommodating to the community, I also think that Norfolk has plenty of land suitable for development and redevelopment and the added value of additional residences and shops near the urban core and along the transit line is what Norfolk needs more than anything. More than glassy buildings, more than skyscrapers, the city needs more activity in its neighborhoods. Tarrants' Bay and Harbors Edge II are great examples of the trend toward high-rise living in walkable neighborhoods that will continue to revitalize and reinvigorate the urban center of Hampton Roads. I think that projects like this are so crucial because they alter the perception of both locals and visitors and the more densely developed the neighborhoods along the light rail line get the more success we will have in crafting a world-class region. 

Great to see so much happening in Atlantic City/Ft Norfolk. But man is this thing a wall between the neighborhood and the water or what. I'm not familiar with the site but if there are streets perpendicular to the water that end just before this parcel, it would be nice to maintain sight lines to the water and even public access to the water. Would love to see two or three separate buildings instead of this wall. It's very Bronx circa 1970. 

That's just my critique. Again, happy to see more investment in the area. 

I'm honestly a fan of the project. The only view that it will really serve to block is that of the parking garage of Fort Norfolk Plaza, and the walkway down to the pier along the river appears to enliven the area. I'm interested to see what shops the development could attract, and the overall potential increase in foot traffic within the Fort Norfolk and the surrounding areas will be beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

A developer from Northern Virginia plans to build a 17-story residential tower, a marina and a mixed-use building with space for parking and retail shops on vacant property in Fort Norfolk.

Chantilly-based Tarrants Bay LLC outlined plans for the development in a rezoning request, which is expected to be discussed by Norfolk’s Planning Commission on Sept. 24.

The plans for 151 Riverview Ave. include a 500,000-square-foot tower with 450 residential units and parking on the ground floor.

A second building, which would be 256,000 square feet, would have 32 apartment units, a restaurant and 3,200 square feet of commercial and retail space on the first floor.

Parking would be available on each of the building’s five stories.

The marina would include 56 boat slips and a 2,000-square-foot marina store.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/17story-residential-tower-planned-fort-norfolk#_ga=1.101928004.456727445.1440105495

• 2 months later...

Archived