Diamond Place at the Proos Site

GVSUChris

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I wouldn't even know what to say in such an email. How does one go about directly criticizing someone on their investment while staying respectful? 

By your moniker I assume you're college educated and capable of drafting a quick email.   How about something along the lines of 'I feel your most recent development falls short of the high standards you have established with other developments, and respectfully ask that you reconsider the latest design ...'

Frankly my email to them was a bit less tactful :)

5 minutes ago, arcturus said:

By your moniker I assume you're college educated and capable of drafting a quick email.   How about something along the lines of 'I feel your most recent development falls short of the high standards you have established with other developments, and respectfully ask that you reconsider the latest design ...'

Frankly my email to them was a bit less tactful :)

Fully capable. The written word is my forte. This, however, is new territory. I don't normally go around telling people how they should be spending their money ;) However, this hideous design warrants something said.  

18 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Fully capable. The written word is my forte. This, however, is new territory. I don't normally go around telling people how they should be spending their money ;) However, this hideous design warrants something said.  

I disagree with arcturus. Your email should go to the Planning Commission. They're the ones appointed to make decisions on stuff like this. A personal email to a business owner could erupt into something nasty. 

Imagine you owned a lawncare company and someone was "offended" by your new logo, and sent you an email. Would you change your logo? Get all of your trucks repainted? Doubtful. 

Just be prepared that they may read your email at the PC meeting. I've had my emails read many times at commission meetings and hearings, it's pretty exciting. :) 

1 minute ago, GRDadof3 said:

I disagree with arcturus. Your email should go to the Planning Commission. They're the ones appointed to make decisions on stuff like this. A personal email to a business owner could erupt into something nasty. 

My thought as well and why I was so hesitant to do it. I have zero interest in pissing people off - only expressing my opinion in hopes it makes a difference. I will craft an email to the PC as opposed to them. 

31 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Imagine you owned a lawncare company and someone was "offended" by your new logo, and sent you an email. Would you change your logo? Get all of your trucks repainted? Doubtful. 

Or imagine you put a banner up on a building you're constructing, and people don't like the wording... Oh wait, that really happened. :)

Joe

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

Imagine people taking issue with the owners of a coffee shop franchise called Beaners.  Oh ...

That's totally different. They were looking at expanding into the Southwest where Beaners has a derogatory meaning. This would be some random individual saying they don't like how a building design looks. 

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Or imagine you put a banner up on a building you're constructing, and people don't like the wording... Oh wait, that really happened. :)

Joe

Someone has now spray painted over the banner's "Great Again." 

But that's a good example. How did that protest go? Nowhere. :) 

29 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's totally different. They were looking at expanding into the Southwest where Beaners has a derogatory meaning. This would be some random individual saying they don't like how a building design looks. 

Someone has now spray painted over the banner's "Great Again." 

But that's a good example. How did that protest go? Nowhere. :) 

Color me shocked :rolleyes:

There is no reason why you can't send an email to both. Sometimes you need to make someone feel a little bit uncomfortable with their decisions. That way they will think twice about it the next time and if on the edge things may go in your favor. Sort of like a coach yelling at a ref. They know the ref isn't going to change the call but maybe next time they will be a little slower to blow the whistle or maybe gone you a make up call the other way. 

Of of course I really doubt that your email will get anyone at third coast  to do anything with this project. I would agree that an email to the PC would be much more powerful in that regard. 

I would also also agree that this is probably the biggest pile of crap that I've seen. I'm usually pretty lenient and I thought that the stuff at the end of union was bad but this is much worse. At leas t the stuff at the end of union has a theme, even if it is "dark metal box with holes cut in the side"

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

No different if the landscape logo was a raised middle finger ...  that's exactly what this horrible plan revision throws in our face.  For all this 'randomness' there's certainly a uniformity of negative opinion.

14 hours ago, jas49503 said:

There is no reason why you can't send an email to both. Sometimes you need to make someone feel a little bit uncomfortable with their decisions.

Yes, I prefer to go through normal channels but in this case the changes are so egregious that the developer needs to have a shot across the bow from more than just an oversight commission.  'Spare the rod ...' :)

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

No different if the landscape logo was a raised middle finger ...  that's exactly what this horrible plan revision throws in our face.  For all this 'randomness' there's certainly a uniformity of negative opinion.

Yes, I prefer to go through normal channels but in this case the changes are so egregious that the developer needs to have a shot across the bow from more than just an oversight commission.  'Spare the rod ...' :)

Do whatever you want, lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

Not sure if that party store on the corner is getting work done on it as well or someone screwed up and tried to start taking part of the siding off of it...

I noticed the fencing covered up the side of the party store along Michigan.  I figured it was just to close off the sidewalk along that block, but one can hope!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

Kahasay: "My lawyers told me the store was worth $850,000, They offered $600,000."

Brad Rosely: "They said they wanted $1.8 Million."

Seems like a bit of discrepancy in the stories being told. I feel like if Third Coast came in at 600k and they wanted 850k, they could have made it work. That isn't that far off. 

Archived