Diamond Place at the Proos Site

GVSUChris

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Surprisingly, it looks like they're doing some brick work on the party store at the corner.IMG_4707.thumb.JPG.5631d8064a16289f1a309283567dfdb2.JPG

Kent Companies trucks you see there by the way.

My understanding is that they are removing the green portion of the building and are currently working on separating the two.  This is going to look so bad when completed with that store still there.

On 4/24/2017 at 1:03 PM, WMrapids said:

This thing is going to add so much density...

IMG_4715.thumb.JPG.0eedecf124eeaff50ad83105591ddbae.JPG

The last time I drove by this site they were just framing out the foundation wall, and the thing that really struck me was just how close to the street it will be.  I mean it felt like it was right on top of the street and nothing was even vertical yet. This certainly will go a long way in helping Michigan feel like it's walkable.

12 hours ago, MJLO said:

I'd say i'd be terrified of the x99 comentary if god forbid something brutalist went up.... But he'd probably like it.

As if anyone would be crazy enough ever again to build some hideous brutalist-esque bunker made of raw unfinished concrete... Oh, sorry GRAM.  :P  But I like thinking about what Third Coast has been up to lately even less.  The pastiche of randomly colored siding all mixed up with metal siding that looks like it came off of an airport hanger roof isn't exactly my idea of great design.  Looks like someone hit the jackpot at a siding clearance sale.

• 3 weeks later...

Diamond Place is a $42-million, mixed-use project slated for completion next summer. The project includes more than 100 affordable housing units, plus 22,000 square feet of retail space, anchored by a community grocery store.

The term "community grocery store" brings to mind the Walgreen's community pharmacy up the hill from this development. Don't think it's going to be a chain or have much size to it. 

20 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Only those or a Trader Joes, Fresh Tyme, and Whole Foods would make sense in a location like this.

Any other mainstream grocer will just be competing for the D&W, Family Fare, and Meijer(s) shopper.

Seeing as this development is supposed to have a good level of affordable housing, I do not see high priced "organic" focused groceries being the target here. Also the parking restraints do not fit into the business models of the above companies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived