GVSUChris

Diamond Place at the Proos Site

As someone who lives around the corner from this development I seriously hope its not a Duthler's. I have been secretly hoping for another Ken's but i think the fire at their store probably set them back a bit from future expansion.

• Like 1

I must admit this building was coming a long nicer than I expected. After the horrendous buildings on union and Michigan my expectations were not very high though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonrapley said:

I must admit this building was coming a long nicer than I expected. After the horrendous buildings on union and Michigan my expectations were not very high though.

It doesn't look bad but it looks institutional like a medical building. Maybe that's the look they're going for. 

Like the HHS building on Franklin:

HERO-christman-Franklin-SW-Corner-Elevat

6 hours ago, GRLaker said:

10001483532277.jpg?resize=518,345&ssl=1

.27500.jpg

It reminds me of a college dorm.

There are two potential options for these buildings:   1)  The designer had untreated schizophrenia.  2) They bought random materials from the clearance bin and switched to something else when they ran out.  

The third option, that someone did this intentionally and purposefully, is too depressing to consider.  If they were going for something that looks like a pure, unadulterated s--tfest, that thumbs its nose at good taste, that mocks all that is good and decent in this world, they nailed it like a boss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wingbert said:

Well, they did get a nice solid row in place and the whole fourth floor disappeared.

tetris-670x335.jpg

I like the little touch of cutting the 4th floor brick into about a 1/3 of a floor. I mean some of the new projects around town have the top floor as metal siding and the other floors are brick, but NOOOO, this architect decided to go halfsies!! Like organsnyder said, it looks like they ran out of brick. 

B18421AF-97C2-4799-83D5-E325BA9D2444.thu

Has anyone heard anything on news about the grocery/market still going in on the west end of this building?

On 5/4/2018 at 1:31 PM, HavingAhoot said:

Has anyone heard anything on news about the grocery/market still going in on the west end of this building?

I saw something in the commercial permit activity report. 

All the way to the bottom:

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Report/ShowReport.aspx?module=Permits&reportID=224&reportType=LINK_REPORT_LIST

• Like 1

They have been listing the Grocery Store as a "National Chain"

"Brand new mixed use development located on Michigan St. between Diamond and Fuller. Anchored by a national grocery store."

I tried digging but can't find any info more.

15 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

"Brand new mixed use development located on Michigan St. between Diamond and Fuller. Anchored by a national grocery store."

Whaddyawannabet that the "national grocery store" is something like Dollar General.  :P

3 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Or it could be a Walmart Neighborhood Market, like this defunct location that was a block from my office. 

Walmart-Chicago-Loop-Neighborhood-Market-Flickr-Rogers-320x214.jpg

24 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

A luckys would be cool

I've actually heard that they're entering the market but not downtown... 

19 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Or it could be a Walmart Neighborhood Market, like this defunct location that was a block from my office. 

Walmart-Chicago-Loop-Neighborhood-Market-Flickr-Rogers-320x214.jpg

That seems like the only other reasonable possibility other than a discount chain.  It seems unlikely that a "national chain" that has no presence in the area would suddenly decide it wanted to send trucks and everything else to service a rather small store in an untested location.  

With a Meijer just "down the road", I wouldn't be shocked if it was a Walmart.

Considering the alternatives, I hope that it is at least something from an upper-tier retailer and not a Save-A-Lot or an Aldi.

A bonus if it is a major player is that it may just light a fire under the Family Fare on E. Fulton to do a major rebuild or renovation of their store.

3 hours ago, iK1NkY said:

I think an Aldi would be great for the neighborhood(:

Agreed. I would love an ALDI there.

• Like 2

If I can buy reasonably priced paper towel, etc.. there then I am great with whoever it is.  I already have butcher, a bakery, and Martha's now has produce that is pretty competitive [and better quality] with Family Fare.  The gap I experience is paper products, can good, etc...  And my needs are not complex or brand specific.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 8:34 PM, GVSUChris said:

I've actually heard that they're entering the market but not downtown... 

We already have a Lucky's downtown...anyways. :tw_glasses:

• Like 1

So I was talking to the women in Party Cooler and she said the grocery store next door is going to be a Gordon Food service like the one on 28th Street? (Not too familiar with it so idk if that is the right street or not)