Diamond Place at the Proos Site

GVSUChris

I think it’s a pretty sweet get...big national chain based locally. Looks like they are really trying to be more grocery store than “place to buy meatballs for your open house” and restaurant supply. Anybody been in the new prototype store yet?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/03/how_gordon_food_service_is_mak.html

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was from the lady that works at party cooler. I think she is the owner with her husband so I'd imagine her info is pretty reliable. I had hoped for a Ken's or Aldi at least but oh well I guess I will just use the Meijer on bridge instead. Also party cooler is looking a lot nicer inside. The women said they are looking into having a window on the wall facing Diamond, which would make it look great!

51 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

https://gfsstore.com/

A little underwhelming if true. Maybe they'll pull a Meijer and make a slightly upscale version because it is in the city. But it is basically a smaller version of a costco/sams club, a lot of bulk discount foods.

Looking at the photos of their store's interior, it looks decent enough. They seem to carry the right products people will generally want, and have clean and bright interiors. If they make a good appearance (tap back a bit on the spartan food supplier warehouse look), they  could totally be a welcome middle addition to the Family Fare to the East and Meijer to the west

I always think meatballs and restaurant supplies, but if you read the article in this thread, it definitely looks like they’re going with more fresh produce and a neighborhood market feel. Could be a really good fit (and a good test store for GFS). 

Joe

1 hour ago, mgreven said:

I think it’s a pretty sweet get...big national chain based locally. Looks like they are really trying to be more grocery store than “place to buy meatballs for your open house” and restaurant supply. Anybody been in the new prototype store yet?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/03/how_gordon_food_service_is_mak.html

If they can make it compete with the "new-look" Aldi stores I think they'll have a hit. Thanks for sharing the article, don't think I had seen that yet.

19 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Do those new GFS stores sell beer/wine, etc.?  If they don't, then the Party Cooler (especially fixed up) could make quite a killing and be a nice companion.  Maybe he was smart to stay put...

GFS does not and will not ever sell alcohol. It is owned by a very conservative family that doesn't even allow alcohol at corporate events. I was just talking about this with someone the other day and so from that standpoint, it is a great match for Party Cooler to be next door. 

6 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

GFS does not and will not ever sell alcohol. It is owned by a very conservative family that doesn't even allow alcohol at corporate events. I was just talking about this with someone the other day and so from that standpoint, it is a great match for Party Cooler to be next door. 

I was also told that I was not allowed to have liquor to-go for sale in the same area that has income restricted housing through the state. I have no idea if there is ANY truth to this as I heard customers talking about it while at the party cooler. Either way I don't have a problem going next door! The one on 28th look  great, and at least its not a dollar general "market" ha.  

4 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

I was also told that I was not allowed to have liquor to-go for sale in the same area that has income restricted housing through the state. I have no idea if there is ANY truth to this as I heard customers talking about it while at the party cooler. Either way I don't have a problem going next door! The one on 28th look  great, and at least its not a dollar general "market" ha.  

If that is the case, the Party Cooler is sitting on a goldmine. :)

Joe

15 hours ago, HavingAhoot said:

That's pretty fascinating. That might be exactly why Party Cooler held out. 

Just read on another site that Gordon's Marketplace is opening on East Jefferson in Detroit. Appears to be in a strip mall though but definitely an urban location. Will be interesting to see how they incorporate their new "identity" into a ground floor retail space.

A small intimate setting is what people want to shop today.

“We’re not going to be your stock up store.

Reminds me of the grocery store I visited in Seattle called "Kress IGA Supermarket".

AF1QipNPzCWL45l4dzbGRgwswaAl7F_vi8jCmkVP

Not a D&W sized grocery, but more than a Martha's Vinyard.

It isnt going to appeal  to Meijer fans nor current residents in the single-family homes on either side of Michigan. So maybe Gordon's is banking on more dense development on Michigan in the future to the tune of a few thousand more units? Right now the area isnt a heavily pedestrian corridor like the grocery in Seattle enjoys, so  I hope they are in for the long-haul, and dont close after one year.

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Reminds me of the grocery store I visited in Seattle called "Kress IGA Supermarket".

AF1QipNPzCWL45l4dzbGRgwswaAl7F_vi8jCmkVP

Not a D&W sized grocery, but more than a Martha's Vinyard.

It isnt going to appeal  to Meijer fans nor current residents in the single-family homes on either side of Michigan. So maybe Gordon's is banking on more dense development on Michigan in the future to the tune of a few thousand more units? Right now the area isnt a heavily pedestrian corridor like the grocery in Seattle enjoys, so  I hope they are in for the long-haul, and dont close after one year.

Remember Gordon Foods, while they've been trying to appeal to retail customers at their stores, is primarily a wholesale distributor to restaurants and to institutional food services such as hospitals and colleges.  Considering all the downtown restaurants along with Spectrum and other institutions, I'm guessing that this is a good location for a cash and carry store to serve their traditional wholesale customers.  Any retail neighborhood customers that happen in will just be gravy and at the same time this helps Third Coast meet their tax credit requirement of providing a grocery store.  A win win win for everyone as they say.  I bet they are getting a really good deal on their rent.         

2 hours ago, organsnyder said:

They're already in the process of rolling this model out at many of their stores: http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/03/how_gordon_food_service_is_mak.html

Seems to me like they're in danger of diluting their brand, but they know a lot more about the business landscape than I do.

It also signifies a lack of cohesive strategy. The majority of the industry is moving away from physical stores and investing capital into on demand delivery services. Sure, physical locations must exist now as the technology isn't fully proliferated, but it's hard to imagine people going to physical locations to shop for groceries in the next 5-10 years. And if they do, places like Martha's Vineyard can serve that purpose. 

Hmm,...Maybe I'm an oddball here but I love this idea. I'm the type of person to decide what I want for dinner midway through my day or even 20 mins before and then I go get that thing from a butcher, or a marthas and start cooking.  I hate going to big stores with their savey save cards and self check-outs. This is my exact thing I'm looking for (i think) where i can bop down the street grand a baguette a tenderloin and some produce cook it up be done and not have to worry about what I've bought and whats going to waste. I think prices should be okay since its a GFS. Glad they are trying to cater the stores to fit a location.

And to think I was hoping and praying it would be anything better than a dollar store grocer 

• 1 month later...

Archived