Diamond Place at the Proos Site

GVSUChris

They have a craigslist add up for new units already.  http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/apa/5235938157.html  Is this indicative of them being serious?  Or do you think they are trying to get a feel for the market?

They've been working on this project for a while. I heard rumors about it from the city maybe 2 years ago? It may be closer to starting than we think. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked with the owners of the liquor store and asked what was going on. They said the store is staying, they are keeping the part of the building they're in, the rest will be removed for the diamond place apartment project. 

Guess i won't get my little grocery store as the renderings showed

I talked with the owners of the liquor store and asked what was going on. They said the store is staying, they are keeping the part of the building they're in, the rest will be removed for the diamond place apartment project. 

Guess i won't get my little grocery store as the renderings showed

:(

• 4 months later...

http://mibiz.com/news/real-estate/item/23315-diamond-place-to-increase-retail,-housing-options-along-gr%E2%80%99s-michigan-street-corridor

"GRAND RAPIDS — With more than 530 new apartments and at least $115 million in new investment, the pipeline for mixed-use development remains strong along the Michigan Street corridor east of the Medical Mile.  The newest proposal for the area comes from Grand Rapids-based Third Coast Development LLC, whose principals plan a mixed-income and mixed-use $42 million project called Diamond Place on the north side of Michigan Street, just east of Diamond Avenue.  Included in those plans: Attracting an urban grocery user to the ground floor of the development.  “Grocery is something we’ve always wanted to bring to the corridor and would set us apart if we had a new urban grocer,” said Third Coast principal Max Benedict, who added that the firm is in talks with an unnamed grocery tenant to occupy the approximately 15,000-square-foot space. "

Nice to see an additional grocery option as Michigan Street's population is going to blow up soon, It's just that we really need one down on Wealthy or State St. too (hint).

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

http://mibiz.com/news/real-estate/item/23315-diamond-place-to-increase-retail,-housing-options-along-gr%E2%80%99s-michigan-street-corridor

"GRAND RAPIDS — With more than 530 new apartments and at least $115 million in new investment, the pipeline for mixed-use development remains strong along the Michigan Street corridor east of the Medical Mile.  The newest proposal for the area comes from Grand Rapids-based Third Coast Development LLC, whose principals plan a mixed-income and mixed-use $42 million project called Diamond Place on the north side of Michigan Street, just east of Diamond Avenue.  Included in those plans: Attracting an urban grocery user to the ground floor of the development.  “Grocery is something we’ve always wanted to bring to the corridor and would set us apart if we had a new urban grocer,” said Third Coast principal Max Benedict, who added that the firm is in talks with an unnamed grocery tenant to occupy the approximately 15,000-square-foot space. "

Nice to see an additional grocery option as Michigan Street's population is going to blow up soon, It's just that we really need one down on Wealthy or State St. too (hint).

I actually had a similar thought when reading the article: when people say they want a grocery store downtown, they really mean "one on every corner." This one way down on Michigan Street would serve Midtown pretty well, but everyone else has to drive there. Unless you want to walk there from Plaza Towers, on icy sidewalks for 4 months out of the year. 

And as soon as they see prices will be higher than Meijer, they'll probably go back to Meijer, since they have to drive anyway. 

When I spent some time in Germany, we had 3 large grocery stores (family fare sized) in a area about 2 miles by a half mile. Not to mention all the other smaller shops sprinkled throughout town.  Of course the density of the village was probably much higher than any neighborhood in GR. 

11 hours ago, jas49503 said:

When I spent some time in Germany, we had 3 large grocery stores (family fare sized) in a area about 2 miles by a half mile. Not to mention all the other smaller shops sprinkled throughout town.  Of course the density of the village was probably much higher than any neighborhood in GR. 

There actually ARE grocery stores in many quadrants of near downtown GR now. People just think they're not nice enough to shop at. 

57 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

There actually ARE grocery stores in many quadrants of near downtown GR now. People just think they're not nice enough to shop at.

That is certainly true for the lower Westside (LoWe?, I couldn't help but jump on the South Park train). Duthler's is a mess but is a fully stocked grocery store and National Supermercado #2 rounds out the selection. I know this isn't the same for the Michigan St corridor/Midtown, so a small scale but fully stocked grocery store would kill over there. When I lived in Midtown circa 2007 there was a Duthler's on Michigan and Fuller and it served the same purpose.

• 3 months later...

Reminds me in similar news that Display Pack is going to town on their new plant up in Cedar Springs, sits right next to the White Pine Trail. Display Pack is that company on Monroe that will be vacating their plant for the new Franklin Partners project..

I should probably put this note in that thread as well.

On 5/27/2016 at 2:12 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Reminds me in similar news that Display Pack is going to town on their new plant up in Cedar Springs, sits right next to the White Pine Trail. Display Pack is that company on Monroe that will be vacating their plant for the new Franklin Partners project..

I should probably put this note in that thread as well.

I was just wondering about this project riding down the White Pine Trail. Their current building is so large, it will be interesting to see what happens with the initial plans. 

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Have we seen these? I stumbled upon them on Progessive's site- http://www.progressiveae.com/portfolio/diamond-place/

Don't recall them.  Looks to me like yet another Progressive AE "we don't really give a s---" so let's just sprinkle some corrugated steel or whatever else is on sale on top of some badly done brickwork design.  Meh.  New tagline suggestion:  "Promehssive AE.  Mediocrity Is Our New Specialty!"  Next, please!  :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Did someone already post that there's a Pioneer Const trailer on site now? 

20160812_110342.jpg

yep, back in May.  progress has been pretty slow although you would have to think that they are working behind the scenes and would hopefully be starting soon.  there were some issues with the utilities that they were trying to resolve. they have to be moved across the street and either buried or if the property owners can be convinced, keep them above ground.  I don't know if this would hold up starting construction or not.

Archived