The Matthews, NC Thread

SgtCampsalot

15 hours ago, Muggsy01 said:

I’m looking in the Sardis area of southeast Charlotte & Matthews proper. Really the Providence High school zone which covers parts of both. To the newer arrivals how do you like it? Even if I land on the Charlotte side of the line, I’d imagine Matthews will be my closest town center so curious b/c it looks really nice. 

Somewhat related, do you think Char-Meck will ever go the route of Nashville-Davidson & consolidate or partially consolidate?

Downtown Matthews is the best downtown IMO in the area for all-around basic needs being met, with variety. Compact, good bones, several offshoot clusters forming around it. Even some Greenway connections. 

And as an alumnus of Providence HS, I can say be prepared for your kid to be classmates with children from very affluent families and will likely receive a heavily-skewed narrative of college-university's role in their future. I have heard Butler HS is a more pragmatic atmosphere, but I didn't go there myself, though my sibling and some friends did.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

17 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

If you think you're going to find a house in the "wealthy" parts of Charlotte for $350k.... good luck.

Seeing them on the real estate sites and when I go down there for between that & 4. IDK if those are literally the wealthy parts, but they're at least the nice parts where I always read people complaining about the absurdly high housing prices. Unless the real estate sites are wrong, or there's another, much more expensive part of the city I haven't found yet.  I've looked all over southeast Charlotte, bit in Waxhaw but I think that's probably a bit too rural for my taste, Matthews, bit in Weddington but those are quite a bit more expensive, and then a little up in Huntersville & Cornelius. Don't see too much in Davidson in my preferred range either. The other thing about down there is with your low property taxes, the actual mortgage payments are so much lower for obvious reasons. Your taxes down there are less than 1/3 what I pay and from what I can tell, most of your public schools are just as good. 

Going down in August for a few days, going to spend a couple of nights in Pinehurst but then a couple in Charlotte and going to do like a grand tour of the area, every neighborhood we think might fit. Truthfully, prior I've really only been downtown & the area around where the Coliseum was but I haven't been down there since I think 2001. Last time I was downtown was March though.

Edited by Muggsy01

Yeah it really comes down to the ambiguity of what "wealthy" means to a person. You can find plenty of nice homes for $300-400k no problem, but it will vary pretty wildly all over Charlotte as to what you get for that money. Age of house, neighborhood, size, yard etc. There's practically nothing available in "South Charlotte" for <$400k (from a super quick search). I'm sure you can find deals but that's why they get snapped up some quick when something does come along. 

Just now, Matthew.Brendan said:

Yeah it really comes down to the ambiguity of what "wealthy" means to a person. You can find plenty of nice homes for $300-400k no problem, but it will vary pretty wildly all over Charlotte as to what you get for that money. Age of house, neighborhood, size, yard etc. There's practically nothing available in "South Charlotte" for <$400k (from a super quick search). I'm sure you can find deals but that's why they get snapped up some quick when something does come along. 

Okay I wonder if Zillow is wrong then. I found a few between 350-400 in the Sardis area & just over the line in Matthews proper, then a bunch down around Blakeney for even cheaper, 275-350 range. I realize that's not in my dream area but it looks pretty nice. Anything with more than 2 bedrooms  either a deck or front porch & not attached to other houses is a massive upgrade for me. Obviously would care about the safety of the neighborhood & quality of schools but I'm not super picky in terms of size/style of house. 

5 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Right, that's the trade off.... go further out and it gets cheaper :) Still, I understand the huge upgrade it will be coming from NJ. Do you have a time frame yet for your move? I used to live in Matthews btw, off Sam Newell / Margaret Wallace. I regret selling the house, should have kept it.

Yeah, next summer. My wife is a teacher & after next summer she qualifies for her pension as she will have been working for 10 years. So it doesn't make sense to move now. But I have a 2 year old so we want to get him down there for pre-school. We'll start looking for a house in the spring & put ours' on the market. Hope to move July or August at which point I can start working remote. She might go back to work part time once our son is in kindergarten but I'd be fine supporting us on just my salary down there. She has a cert in speech therapy & 1 on 1 therapy with disabled children (she's a special ed teacher) so she could work part time 1 on 1 with students if she wants to. 

That's another reason we wanted to move south, our son. Aside from the cost, frankly, people up here are just assholes. I never realized it growing up but once I started travelling around the country more, outside of Northeast & California, I realized the southeast & midwest are just such nicer environments. 

Edited by Muggsy01
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Muggsy01 said:

It’s crazy the idea of wealthy in different parts of the country. I live now in NJ in a $450k 2 bedroom townhouse with 11k property taxes a year. I look at the homes in the “wealthy,” parts of the CLT area & they’re 75k to 100k cheaper than mine with a real yard & 3 more bedrooms. Those homes would be $2 million in my town. 

Just a bit of what’s for sale in Dilworth and Myers Park this morning...

D0E02324-5B90-42E2-A4F4-A25EA3CCC6B9.thumb.jpeg.a3edf9e1dd299f7145abde3be640d48e.jpeg

We do, however, have many terrific neighborhoods that represent great value, and you should be able to find a great home in a community that you enjoy.

• Like 4

I haven't even looked up there tbh. Really below Pineville-Matthews road is where I've looked. Providence & Ardrey Kell school zones as well as Matthews & a bit in Weddington & Waxhaw like I said. But preference is Charlotte below Pineville-Matthews Rd or town of Matthews. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muggsy01 said:

I haven't even looked up there tbh. Really below Pineville-Matthews road is where I've looked. Providence & Ardrey Kell school zones as well as Matthews & a bit in Weddington & Waxhaw like I said. But preference is Charlotte below Pineville-Matthews Rd or town of Matthews. 

If that area is your preference, I think you will have a lot of choices.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

If that area is your preference, I think you will have a lot of choices.  

Okay cool. I think maybe I misjudged what people consider to be the "wealthy" part of the city. I really don't need to be up in the SouthPark or Myers Park area at all. I'm fine being on the southern fringes of the city or in some of the actual suburbs like Matthews. Maybe I'll regret it if I get a job locally but at least for the beginning I'll be working from home. Can't imagine I'll go downtown/uptown except to go to Hornets & probably some Knights games on weekends. Checking them out next month when I'm there actually, first Knights game. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Muggsy01 said:

Okay cool. I think maybe I misjudged what people consider to be the "wealthy" part of the city. I really don't need to be up in the SouthPark or Myers Park area at all. I'm fine being on the southern fringes of the city or in some of the actual suburbs like Matthews. Maybe I'll regret it if I get a job locally but at least for the beginning I'll be working from home. Can't imagine I'll go downtown/uptown except to go to Hornets & probably some Knights games on weekends. Checking them out next month when I'm there actually, first Knights game. 

I live in Atlanta and my main regret of living here is only going to 1 or 2 Panthers and Hornets games in Charlotte per year. I see more Hornets games in Atlanta than Charlotte :tw_weary:

22 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I live in Atlanta and my main regret of living here is only going to 1 or 2 Panthers and Hornets games in Charlotte per year. I see more Hornets games in Atlanta than Charlotte :tw_weary:

Once I’m down there I’m probably gonna get a partial season ticket plan. Like a weekend package or something, need to check what they offer. Wanna hit up 2 games a month regardless. First team I ever chose on my own when I was like 6 yo. I’m not huge on the NFL, in terms of a specific team, mostly watch RedZone so I can see myself adopting the Panthers. I love Cam, prob my fav QB. Hornets are my childhood though, love that NBA came out with the Team Pass now

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

I drive by that place a lot and somehow didn't notice they were working on it until last week. I was surprised at how much the building changed.  I thought it was still a Pharmacy... I guess I'm not the most observant. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

Novant breaks ground on hospital expansion!

Novant Health breaks ground on $169M project adding more beds at Matthews Medical Center

Jun 8, 2022, 2:28pm EDT
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/12279289/img1853*304xx3584-2389-0-150.jpg
CAROLINE HUDSON/CBJ

Novant Health broke ground on a new bed tower on June 8.

Novant Health broke ground today on a new bed tower at Matthews Medical Center.

The project, a $169 million investment, involves a 150,000-square-foot expansion, plus renovations to another 50,000 square feet of existing space. It will add 20 licensed beds, bringing the hospital's total to 177 beds. The tower will house surgical services, including seven operating rooms, three endoscopy suites, three cardiac-procedure rooms, a post-anesthesia unit, an expanded intensive care unit and ambulatory care space.

"A lot has changed. There's been a lot of growth, and we are excited about bringing the medical center to continue to grow with the community," said Jason Bernd, president and chief operating officer at the hospital. "Our desire is to create a space to help keep people in their communities for care."

Regulators first approved Novant's application in early 2020 to add 20 beds and one operating room to the Matthews hospital. The project received full approval last summer.

The new tower was designed with efficiency in mind, Bernd said. Vertical expansion cuts down on additional walking time for providers and patients. Novant is moving all cardiac services to one floor. It is also doubling the size of the surgical space to accommodate recovering patients. Crews will install a ventilation system with more flexibility to allow larger areas to have advanced filtration, he said.

Future capacity was another big consideration. The foundation will be able to support an additional floor, if needed. It has the space to eventually support up to about 275 beds, essentially adding two more units, Bernd said. Building for more capacity now is more cost effective for Novant.

"There are 30 patients this morning in our emergency department that are waiting for the process of somebody (getting) discharged through upstairs," Bernd said. "We do anticipate that we'll be adding another unit almost as soon as this opens."

A medical-surgical unit is slated to open in 2024, with all construction wrapping in 2025.

Vannoy Construction is the general contractor for the project. McCulloch England Associates is the architect.

• Like 3