Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathan_in_DC

Google MapMaker

7 posts in this topic

In case any of you aren't familiar, Google allows users the opportunity to edit and update Google Maps using their own local knowledge. Yeah, it's kind of like giving free information to Google, but it's also (in my opinion) providing a public service to the community since the vast majority of people rely on Maps on a day to day basis, especially visitors and tourists. Many of you may have participated in the past, but it was shut down a few months ago because of spam and abuse edits (for instance, a park shaped like a Google Android relieving itself on an Apple). They've since revamped the program, with more admins and better filters, and reopened it for use in a few countries (including the US). I am a US Regional Lead for the program, meaning I have what amounts to "super user" powers for reviewing edits and creating new edits.

Anyway, if you're interested in improving maps in your area, hop on to http://mapmaker.google.com and edit away. If you need anything reviewed or need help, pop me a link here (or in PM) and I'll get to it. Also, FYI, it's a little buggy right now, with a number of edits coming back with errors that keep them from being published. Google is working to improve stability right now, I believe.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
Damn my propensity to type HTTPS instead of HTTP!
2 people like this

Your URL, for example, results in a 404 error. ;)

I love maps and I'm a level 3 editor on Waze... Was offered an area manager post, but I didn't feel I had the time to dedicate to the practice. Glad we have someone with this kind of access on board!

1 person likes this

Your URL, for example, results in a 404 error. ;)

I love maps and I'm a level 3 editor on Waze... Was offered an area manager post, but I didn't feel I had the time to dedicate to the practice. Glad we have someone with this kind of access on board!

There, fixed, ya whiner.

I am a US Regional Lead for the program

Does that come with an expense account? 

1 person likes this

Does that come with an expense account? 

I WISH. Unfortuantely, it's just a "Hey, you did a lot of edits. Now you can have more power in  your reviews. Thanks for playing."

Not sure if you're able to pass feedback up the chain any better than someone like me... 

I have tried to make several edits over the past several years and have always found the UI to be disorganized and slow. It's hard to select things and be sure you're working on the right one (especially "buildings"). Plus, the moderation is often just plain wrong and rejects legitimate edits that are 100% correct (yourself notwithstanding).

More recently, I get a variety of some random nondescript error messages in a red bar across the top when I attempt to save pretty much anything--and this is only after I've spent 20-30 minutes double-checking to be sure everything is right. The error messages never give any detail about how to fix the problem and I finally end up throwing the changes in the trash and walking away in frustration.

C'mon, Google!

The nondescript error messages are something I've been running in to a LOT lately (to the point that I've told them I'm not going to be reviewing or editing until they fix it).

As for moderation, that has hopefully been fixed with the new Regional Leads program. Fewer random Google reviewers in California or India denying legitimate edits.