Buckingham Gulch Tower 38 Floors, 450+ ft., 345 residential units, 4,900 sq. ft. retail

Paramount747

Exactly. These bridges were built in the 1960's and to my knowledge, have not been rebuilt, ever.

One bridge, the Silliman Evans bridge over the Cumberland River on the Southeast corner of the loop was rebuilt in the 70's after a horrific auto accident killed 8 or 9 people when it hit a curb, vaulted into the air over the railing and off the bridge down 50 ft to the Avco parking lot. The bridge was shut down for most of the year to rebuild from scratch and was most notably used during the shutdown to stage a multi-car crash scene for the movie, "NASHVILLE".

The entire loop was designed in the 60's also when Nashville's population was 150,000 City, 400,000 MSA. Although the primary planners, Clark Rapauno and Associates in Chicago, recommended up to 12 lanes on the Interstate, the FHWA demanded no more than six lanes (three in each direction) be built. So that is why we have what we have today.

love their progressive thinking back then.  FHWA FTW!

Why weren't the interstate overpass bridges to the east of Charlotte included in the Fast Fix 8 project?  Are they newer and in better shape, despite not being in great shape from the pedestrian standpoint, as you noted?  Is it just wishful thinking on my part, or could there be someone with some foresight at TDOT trying to lay the groundwork for a potential interstate capping project in the future?  

I think the reason is number one they were the original bridges and number two the concrete was falling on the streets below. With the other bridges going over the interstates, that is not the case. Those bridges do not get the amount of traffic and fast traffic on them. 

I do do have a feeling they may be next and are probably on the list to be replaced but are unfounded at this point. The two reasons they would have to be replace are number one again, I think but do not know for sure, these are the. Original bridges and the height of the the bridges are not in compliance with the newer Interstate standards. I do know that several bridges have been hit by idiot truck drivers not paying attention to the width or height of the truck.

Pete will know for sure as these are just guesses.

Exactly. These bridges were built in the 1960's and to my knowledge, have not been rebuilt, ever.

One bridge, the Silliman Evans bridge over the Cumberland River on the Southeast corner of the loop was rebuilt in the 70's after a horrific auto accident killed 8 or 9 people when it hit a curb, vaulted into the air over the railing and off the bridge down 50 ft to the Avco parking lot. The bridge was shut down for most of the year to rebuild from scratch and was most notably used during the shutdown to stage a multi-car crash scene for the movie, "NASHVILLE".

The entire loop was designed in the 60's also when Nashville's population was 150,000 City, 400,000 MSA. Although the primary planners, Clark Rapauno and Associates in Chicago, recommended up to 12 lanes on the Interstate, the FHWA demanded no more than six lanes (three in each direction) be built. So that is why we have what we have today.

Adding a bit to this, Interstate bridge decks undergo exponentially much more stress, than do,say the bridges over I-40 at Church, B'way, Demonbreun, 12th and D.B.Todd (18th Ave N, north of Fisk U's Crosthwaite's Hall) ─ literally a half century of perpetual hi-speed pounding moments of shear forces, and most of them momentum impulses.  Coupled with thermal changes, metal fatigue, and permeability vs corrosion resistance, and winter roadway salts, these Interstate underpasses become some of earth's man-made most tortured structures.  Ironically, railroad bridges, such as NYC's Hell Gate bridge (opened 1916) were built with a huge margin of engineering overkill, which would be intolerably senseless today for highway or street designs.  The same applies to Nashville's crusty CSX center-swing moveable-span bridge in DT Nashville, was built a hundred years ago, and even now takes a whooping with millions of tons traversing it almost daily, although at much slower speeds (even though the load stresses on such are dissipated much differently from those of rubber-tire roadway decks).  Even with the combined railroad-highway bridges such as the Huey P. Long bridge (orig, opened in 1935) in Jefferson Parish Louisiana for a railroad in center and highway US-90 opposing lanes on either side, the railroad portion almost always was built to outlast the railroad, so to speak. The highway portions of that bridge, which originally had been girder decks cantilevered from the center railroad portion (cantilevered through-truss) and all with separate approaches, were totally replaced and opened for traffic in 2013, while the railroad portion did not undergo any major structural replacement.

Many older Interstate bridges have become generally fracture-critical, as they were erected in the 1950s to '70s, during the greatest concentrated period of Interstate highway construction.  Because of acceptable standard engineering designs which allowed them to be relatively cheap and easy to build, they also have approached or even exceeded their designed life expectancy, while still performing their purpose.
-==-

Hell Gate Bridge - overly-beefy construction

Hellgate.thumb.jpg.fc31018e862fdebf48b51

Hellgate2.thumb.jpg.52199c3b1433a854d80a

hellgatebridge.thumb.jpg.e6577a867f8bdb1

Huey P. Long Bridge - as originally built 1935-2006

hueyplongbridge-sunsetlimited.thumb.jpg.

Huey P. Long Bridge - expansion, completed 2013

HueyPLong-expanded.thumb.jpg.b632f464805

• Like 2

I'd like to see some actual thought put into the bridges over the interstate canyon here.  Hell, if Franklin can have a nice Interstate bridge welcoming souls to their faux-urban suburban utopia, then we can have some that welcome you to a real urban utopia and central city of the MSA!

I'd like to see some actual thought put into the bridges over the interstate canyon here.  Hell, if Franklin can have a nice Interstate bridge welcoming souls to their faux-urban suburban utopia, then we can have some that welcome you to a real urban utopia and central city of the MSA!

Lexy, have you seen the bridges over I-40 in downtown Knoxville?  They're are quite elaborate, and certainly more than was needed there. Image result for I-40 bridges in Knoxville, tn

• Like 2

Did two threads get merged by mistake? This was the Gulch Tower thread, and now it's a page and a half on bridges.

I'm for having my 2-cents knocked over to the Trans thread.  Prompts related to my bridge response(s) also might be moved, if they are associated.

-==-

This building will be very prominent. Given that this land sits 20-30ft higher than ICON does the top of Icon may actually be shorter than the amenity deck on the Buckingham building. 

I would be interested in what the opinion of the residents of Icon and Terazzo are. I would think some are going to be concerned about the loss of their views, but I would also think owners are going to understand that this will also lead to more demand for amenities as well as likely raise the value of their condos as well. 

I went to the meeting today. We will have to see what happen. In the story, and this is from James Weaver, they can go 20 stories right now and block the sun over the Terrazzo swimming pool. However, if they go tall and slender, the summer sun will not be blocked. With that being said, I would think the residents would be for the increased height, otherwise they will not have the sun on their pool except in the mid afternoon.

The developers are going to be meeting with the HOA's and get input and comments. As far as I am concerned, they are the only ones that should have a say. If the ding dongs from Bellevue or Green Hills show up to fight the height....well to bad....they can  continue to cry like babies.

Edited by smeagolsfree
  • Like 1

I went to the meeting today. We will have to see what happen. In the story, and this is from James Weaver, they can go 20 stories right now and block the sun over the Terrazzo swimming pool. However, if they go tall and slender, the summer sun will not be blocked. With that being said, I would think the residents would be for the increased height, otherwise they will not have the sun on their pool except in the mid afternoon.

The developers are going to be meeting with the HOA's and get input and comments. As far as I am concerned, they are the only ones that should have a say. If the ding dongs from Bellevue or Green Hills show up to fight the height....well to bad....they can  continue to cry like babies.

Would be shocked if this did not go through. This is a tower that will define the Gulch.

• Like 1