Buckingham Gulch Tower 38 Floors, 450+ ft., 345 residential units, 4,900 sq. ft. retail

Paramount747

The base seems to be parking, so not much excavation! This could go up fast!

Ahhh....fond memories of the Adult Bookstore........just kidding. Well..... went in there once...maybe twice..... It was very nicely done. Clean, modern, a bit sophisticated, and brightly lit. Oh well, The old adult bookstores are gone forever:( THANK YOU INTERNET!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

Ye old Madem X.

Edited by smeagolsfree

I miss the XXX stores...so historic Nashville feeling

Surprised to read you say that, Lexy, but then you're simply being facetious, so I should know better than to take it literally.  They did, though, make for an interesting cityscape dichotomy, but the zone concentrations of the past killed them.  Green Hills seems to have mastered the art of the "store-front laundry" enterprising (although not always successfully). -_-
-==-

• Like 1

I like the design a lot. Even though it is a box it's a nice box lol.  The cladding looks interesting and I think this will be a vey imposing building for not being in the CBD or SoBro.  I'd think the elevation of the land would make it seem larger than it is.  

• Like 1

They need to fix up the Division Street Bridge over I-40 with some wider sidewalks, decorative lighting...maybe a three lane 'complete street' look. Then, that stroll down Division from the Roundabout, past the Crescent Apartments and now the Buckingham would be nice! 

Is that bridge part of the bridge work being done on the weekends? Sorry I haven't been home in a while and wasn't sure of the exact location of all the bridge work. 

When examining the diagrams, it looks like it will be more than 38 stories: 34 stories in the primary living space, 1 very tall first floor, the garage is the equivalent of 6 stories of living space, and then the crown at top is equivalent of 2 of the living area stories.  Grand total of 43 stories. I'm thinking the whole thing will be in the 450' range. And if the primary color scheme has a gold tinge to it, that will be a nice change of pace from so many blue/green structures.  However, it might blind some drivers on the interstate at sunrise/sunset depending on the time of year.  ; )

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

I would hope they could widen it just a bit as a starter to capping the whole canyonized portion of 40.  Those little barriers are not much more than knee-high, it's scary and noisy to cross.  Extremely uninviting in its current state.

...Tell me about it.  Same as with the nearby 12th Ave bridge.  Last fall I hiked to work for about a week between Green Hills and Capitol Hill (instead of doing the bus), and I realized the very same issue, not to mention some chunks of missing concrete on the deck itself, some of these neglected cavities being partially obscured by hearty weeds.  All these I-40 DT bridges are of an old design and are in dire need of updating, to better accommodate safe traversing by foot.  For me it was a balancing act between walking too close to traffic or too close to the low balustrade rail, let alone sometimes having to steeply up or down to or from the bridge walkways, with no transition.  Don't let me have to walk on those bridges edgewise when passing an opposed-bound pedestrian pulling a personal cart.
-==-

...Tell me about it.  Same as with the nearby 12th Ave bridge.  Last fall I hiked to work for about a week between Green Hills and Capitol Hill (instead of doing the bus), and I realized the very same issue, not to mention some chunks of missing concrete on the deck itself, some of these neglected cavities being partially obscured by hearty weeds.  All these I-40 DT bridges are of an old design and are in dire need of updating, to better accommodate safe traversing by foot.  For me it was a balancing act between walking too close to traffic or too close to the low balustrade rail, let alone sometimes having to steeply up or down to or from the bridge walkways, with no transition.  Don't let me have to walk on those bridges edgewise when passing an opposed-bound pedestrian pulling a personal cart.-==-

Why weren't the interstate overpass bridges to the east of Charlotte included in the Fast Fix 8 project?  Are they newer and in better shape, despite not being in great shape from the pedestrian standpoint, as you noted?  Is it just wishful thinking on my part, or could there be someone with some foresight at TDOT trying to lay the groundwork for a potential interstate capping project in the future?  

Edited by ruraljuror

Okay... I'll be the first to go out on a limb and say it first... if built as rendered, this building will exceed 500'.  Not wishful thinking, just counting the levels and estimating a spread of 12' per floor. Some may use an 11' estimate, which would put it at around 470'. Please note, I said "built as rendered".  

I think the reason is number one they were the original bridges and number two the concrete was falling on the streets below. With the other bridges going over the interstates, that is not the case. Those bridges do not get the amount of traffic and fast traffic on them. 

I do do have a feeling they may be next and are probably on the list to be replaced but are unfounded at this point. The two reasons they would have to be replace are number one again, I think but do not know for sure, these are the. Original bridges and the height of the the bridges are not in compliance with the newer Interstate standards. I do know that several bridges have been hit by idiot truck drivers not paying attention to the width or height of the truck.

Pete will know for sure as these are just guesses.

• Like 1

I think the reason is number one they were the original bridges and number two the concrete was falling on the streets below. With the other bridges going over the interstates, that is not the case. Those bridges do not get the amount of traffic and fast traffic on them. 

I do do have a feeling they may be next and are probably on the list to be replaced but are unfounded at this point. The two reasons they would have to be replace are number one again, I think but do not know for sure, these are the. Original bridges and the height of the the bridges are not in compliance with the newer Interstate standards. I do know that several bridges have been hit by idiot truck drivers not paying attention to the width or height of the truck.

Pete will know for sure as these are just guesses.

Exactly. These bridges were built in the 1960's and to my knowledge, have not been rebuilt, ever.

One bridge, the Silliman Evans bridge over the Cumberland River on the Southeast corner of the loop was rebuilt in the 70's after a horrific auto accident killed 8 or 9 people when it hit a curb, vaulted into the air over the railing and off the bridge down 50 ft to the Avco parking lot. The bridge was shut down for most of the year to rebuild from scratch and was most notably used during the shutdown to stage a multi-car crash scene for the movie, "NASHVILLE".

The entire loop was designed in the 60's also when Nashville's population was 150,000 City, 400,000 MSA. Although the primary planners, Clark Rapauno and Associates in Chicago, recommended up to 12 lanes on the Interstate, the FHWA demanded no more than six lanes (three in each direction) be built. So that is why we have what we have today.

• Like 1