Buckingham Gulch Tower 38 Floors, 450+ ft., 345 residential units, 4,900 sq. ft. retail

Paramount747

This is a picture I took at 3 o'clock p.m. the Sun is on the side where the building will be but it's a little bit past the site and that's  a shadow on the pool at the Icon coming  from the Icon structure itself, so without the building built at all this already a shadow in the icon pool I'm not sure about the other buildings

20150913_171935.jpg

• Like 2

This is a picture I took at 3 o'clock p.m. the Sun is on the side where the building will be but it's a little bit past the site and that's  a shadow on the pool at the Icon coming  from the Icon structure itself, so without the building built at all this already a shadow in the icon pool I'm not sure about the other buildings

20150913_171935.jpg

Casper couldn't get a tan in that pool.

• Like 4

So let me get this straight, a building is having height restrictions due to a shadow it would cast on a pool? That is absolutely absurd. I don't even understand how or why that would even be considered a legitimate reason to limit development. We are talking about preventing 10-15 floors from being built, which would financially impact the city since more people would be there, because a pool (which provides no benefit to the city) would be in a shadow. 

Wow..... :blink:

Not really, Buckingham has framed their request for more height as a means of limiting shadow and sight line impact to Terrazzo and Icon. The square footage/unit count of the building stays about the same regardless of whether it is ultimately 24-28 or 38 stories because the shorter version has larger floors.

• Like 3

Not really, Buckingham has framed their request for more height as a means of limiting shadow and sight line impact to Terrazzo and Icon. The square footage/unit count of the building stays about the same regardless of whether it is ultimately 24-28 or 38 stories because the shorter version has larger floors.

Leif is correct.  Let's not get this backwards.  The BZA is not limiting height due to shadows.   The height is already limited by current zoning.   Buckingham is requesting a variance to go higher (and narrower) and is giving as one reason the desire to be a good neighbor and limit their shadow effect.   BZA is just confirming that Buckingham's stated rationale holds water.     

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

So let me get this straight, a building is having height restrictions due to a shadow it would cast on a pool? That is absolutely absurd. I don't even understand how or why that would even be considered a legitimate reason to limit development. We are talking about preventing 10-15 floors from being built, which would financially impact the city since more people would be there, because a pool (which provides no benefit to the city) would be in a shadow. 

Wow..... :blink:

The most perfect post I have read in a while. This sums it up beautifully! 

Edited by Paramount747

I think Buckingham was just trying to be forward-thinking by bringing up the fact that their building would cast a shadow on Icon and Terrazzo...thus they brought up the "swimming pool" shadow idea, believing that would be a reason some people might object at an MDHA meeting.  I'm not sure anyone has actually complained about the building's future shadow.

I think Buckingham was just trying to be forward-thinking by bringing up the fact that their building would cast a shadow on Icon and Terrazzo...thus they brought up the "swimming pool" shadow idea, believing that would be a reason some people might object at an MDHA meeting.  I'm not sure anyone has actually complained about the building's future shadow.

I would still hate to see this derailed because of a shadow issue. One moves to the city for convenience and lifestyle, not swimming pools and sundecks. IMHO, swimming pools and sundecks is a suburban lifestyle.

• Like 1

I would still hate to see this derailed because of a shadow issue. One moves to the city for convenience and lifestyle, not swimming pools and sundecks. IMHO, swimming pools and sundecks is a suburban lifestyle.

By framing this as a shadow issue they for the most part avoiding a head on discussion about height. And by having the building architected in a manner that is deferential to the surrounding buildings we get a more interesting glass box which hopefully sets a precedent going forward.

• Like 3

Another article in the Tennessean on the deferral.

From the article

"Last month Metro Council passed an ordinance that would make it more difficult to get a special exception for height in areas within the Downtown Code district, including Buckingham's proposed Gulch project site"

This is first I have heard of this.  I can't believe they are actually making it harder to build taller downtown.  Could we be anymore backward?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/09/17/decision-deferred-38-story-height-gulch-tower/32574665/

From the article

"Last month Metro Council passed an ordinance that would make it more difficult to get a special exception for height in areas within the Downtown Code district, including Buckingham's proposed Gulch project site"

This is first I have heard of this.  I can't believe they are actually making it harder to build taller downtown.  Could we be anymore backward?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/09/17/decision-deferred-38-story-height-gulch-tower/32574665/

I'm interested in this Esa study, never heard about that before this article.

From the article

073d66ff_Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpeg

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

FWIW if I'm processing the change correctly it basically lines up with what a lot of you guys on here want as far as architectural significance. Basically if you want to go higher you better bring something interesting to the table and it'll be a planning commission decision instead of BZA. 

If it has been determined that all reasonable efforts have been made to use the Bonus Height Program, the applicant shall hold a community meeting providing notices to property owners within 300 feet, and the Planning Commission shall review the modification request and may grant additional height for exceptional design, including but not limited to unique architecture, exceptionally strong streetscape, and improvement of the project’s relationship to surrounding properties.

• Like 2

From the article

You have got to be kidding me.

This city is going to choke its growth and cap it unlike everybody else.  What a stupid idea.  

I live in a highrise in Midtown and the pool deck is very important to the people who live here.  I would guess that if it weren't available more of them would be living in the suburbs.  If I were a developer I wouldn't even consider building any significant project without one.  I do agree that they should get the variance and go to 38.  Everyone else around here got theirs.