Midtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

An area along Battleground Ave just northwest of downtown (extending to Westover Terrace) which includes a multiplex theater, retail and restaurants is starting to be called midtown Greensboro. Friendly Center and affluent neighborhoods are nearby. The most recent development news is a large street side retail project fronting Battleground Ave next to RED Cinemas movie theater. While this is not new news (was reported in July) I did get a scoop on what is planned for phase 2 which would include a residential or maybe even a hotel component. I just recently heard that a 10-story tower could be going up next to the movie theater.

There was a hint in the article below

"Phase two of the project would be to the right side of the theater. That phase could be another 20,000-square-foot building with a similar investment, or it could be something bigger"

Kotis plans big streetside retail project in front of cinema - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

• 2 weeks later...

• 7 months later...

Marty Kotis just purchased additional property adjacent to the theater going towards downtown. Kotis says the additional property would help his mid-rise project grow in size and scope. The new property could be the site of a high-rise hotel.

• 3 months later...

Looks like the massive midtown mid rise residential development may include a 10 story Aloft Hotel. 

https://www.facebook.com/KotisProperties/?pnref=story

14231260_10153669519730881_6100100896651

14195913_10153669519800881_4304145557538

The residential and retail portion next door. The residential portion will be built behind the current Red Cinemas movie theater. According to their Facebook page,  the hotel, retail and restaurants would be a part of the first phase. The apartments would be built in the following phase

34717835.jpg?t=1460807940

kotis4.jpg

kotis3_1.jpg

Edited by cityboi

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Downtown has Roy Carroll and now Midtown has Marty Kotis. 

WFMY did a news clip on midtown developments

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local/greensboros-growing-welcome-to-midtown/434808436

Also here is an updated flythrough of the retail, theater,  8 story condos, 10 story hotel development. Kotis says construction on the retail portion around the theater will begin this year. 

Developer Marty Kotis is working with a large upscale grocery store to come to midtown. I hope its Wegmans. Everything will be linked by the greenway which will link to the downtown greenway. Kotis wants midtown to blend in with downtown like Atlanta. 

Also the large upscale grocery store Kotis is in talks with for Midtown could be Wegmans. Sources say the chain is looking at site in Greensboro for the Triad's first Wegmans

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2016/11/02/wegmans-ramps-up-north-carolina-expansion-picks.amp.html&ved=0ahUKEwjm97yYpdHTAhXEOiYKHb7xCskQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNECcxd3JrlZJlGjhQ40BYSi47gWFQ&sig2=48xPzdVYLaYdMNTVp1rukg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

^ I misspoke, was thinking of the open pockets along Benjamin, so am having trouble placing this now, the article says the developer owns 45 acres, bounded by Benjamin Pkwy, Cornwallis and Battleground, thats a massive triangle that is all residential, and far more than 45 acres, where exactly is this being proposed?

4 hours ago, nowensone said:

^ I misspoke, was thinking of the open pockets along Benjamin, so am having trouble placing this now, the article says the developer owns 45 acres, bounded by Benjamin Pkwy, Cornwallis and Battleground, thats a massive triangle that is all residential, and far more than 45 acres, where exactly is this being proposed?

It being proposed just south of Wendover Avenue around Red Cinemas 

• 1 year later...

Some midtown art and development. The work of developer Marty Kotis.

20190203_092843.jpg

20190203_093000.jpg

20190203_093030.jpg

20190203_093209.jpg

20190203_093233.jpg

20190203_093320.jpg

20190203_093345.jpg

20190203_093421.jpg

20190203_093503.jpg

20190203_093538.jpg

20190203_093603.jpg

20190203_093631.jpg

20190203_093740.jpg

20190203_094113.jpg

20190203_094142.jpg

Planned Publix with parking deck 

20190203_094251.jpg

20190203_094315.jpg

First phase of midtown theater development ( retail being built around RED Cinemas)

20190203_094343.jpg

Second phase (hotel)

20190203_094405.jpg

Third phase  (residential)

20190203_094435.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

New hotel planned at the corner of Westover Terrace and Enterprise Street:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/03/24/group-buy-land-in-greensboro-for-hotel.html

7-story, 117-room Residence Inn by Marriott. This location is across the street from the Hotel Denim (formerly Battleground Inn), and opposite from the strip with Hops, Elizabeth's, etc. The planned extension of the A&Y Greenway will be directly across Westover from the hotel.

I think this area has big potential, even though it is currently an automotive sewer. Perhaps this development, the greenway, and other new developments can nudge the area towards becoming a more pedestrian-friendly district.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, jthomas said:

Interesting news regarding the former Women's Hospital on Green Valley Road. Cone Health recently completed a property swap with Deep River Partners. Cone received the office building at 706 Green Valley Road, as well as an adjacent empty parcel. In return, Deep River received the Women's Hospital building and property. According the the TBJ, Deep River is in the early phases of planning a mixed-use development with residential, office, and retail uses, guided by New Urbanist principles of walkable placemaking. The hospital building would be torn down.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/09/07/new-urbanism-at-former-hospital-site.html

While there are no concrete details at this point, this has the potential to be a very exciting development. The Green Valley office park is currently a relic of 1960s style planning, and is a huge dead waste of land in a very prime location. The Friendly Center - Green Valley area is actually the rough geographical center of Greensboro and is surrounded by desirable neighborhoods. If (and I would call it a big if at this point) this development succeeds at creating a desirable urban neighborhood, it could spur the redevelopment of a lot of underutilized land in the area.

Sounds like a great project. We need more infill development.

• 4 months later...

Really not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this. The site plan is horrible. The developer touts the location along the new greenway, but then the greenway frontage consists of - a blank wall and a loading dock? I think that squanders the potential of what an urban trail can be (look at Charlotte's Rail Trail - the new development there has active uses fronting directly onto the trail). And as if a 2-story parking deck wasn't enough, the building is also surrounded by a moat of surface parking. The entire design is centered around the needs of motor vehicles, while the destination for actual human beings is perched precariously on top. But hey, at least it has nice brick?

Again, I'm not trying to be harsh, but I want better for my hometown. 

• Like 1

Really not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about this. The site plan is horrible. The developer touts the location along the new greenway, but then the greenway frontage consists of - a blank wall and a loading dock? I think that squanders the potential of what an urban trail can be (look at Charlotte's Rail Trail - the new development there has active uses fronting directly onto the trail). And as if a 2-story parking deck wasn't enough, the building is also surrounded by a moat of surface parking. The entire design is centered around the needs of motor vehicles, while the destination for actual human beings is perched precariously on top. But hey, at least it has nice brick?
Again, I'm not trying to be harsh, but I want better for my hometown. 

I agree with that about the greenway but maybe the art around midtown will will make this project more vibrant like what he has down the the movie theater and other buildings around midtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, GSOstrong said:

I agree with that about the greenway but maybe the art around midtown will will make this project more vibrant like what he has down the the movie theater and other buildings around midtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but this section of trail will feel like an industrial back alley, lined by the backside of buildings. Murals and Christmas lights won't fix that. You can't do much about existing buildings, but new development can be better. At the very least, the building could have been sited differently to allow room for future development along the trail. In fact, the developer has done this very thing at another property along the trail (the Texas Roadhouse on Battleground). The design of this building does not address any of the public frontages (Westover Terrace, Mill Street, greenway), and the way that it is plopped in the middle of the site makes it difficult to do so with any future phase of development.

• Like 1