Midtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

I see why Greensboro is always considered boring, lack vision. Everytime there are businesses or or something that will give Gbo a edge, you have the same people being a Debbie Downer about it.  From development downtown  or the shut down of Trader Joe a few years ago that ended up in Winston Salem.  Some people didn't want the Tanger Performing Arts Center, some people bashed Fed X from coming or the Airport expansion, the Beltway. We could have had a Baseball Team over 20 years ago. Greensboro is a city over 300,000 inside a county of over 550,000. Not to mention how many folks commute from Danville,  Martinsville, Va, Eden, Reidsville, Madison, and other surrounding cites or counties. Many realize there are needs to to keep up with city growing, a choices. However, we have some that just want trees, jogging paths and keep it like a Mayberry or Petticoat Junction. While Winston Salem, Charlotte, Cary, Durham, Raleigh, Matthews and other cites in the Tidewater area of VA......We have negative people wanting to stay put and not grow.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2022 at 8:19 PM, P.SAUNDERS said:

I see why Greensboro is always considered boring, lack vision. Everytime there are businesses or or something that will give Gbo a edge, you have the same people being a Debbie Downer about it.  From development downtown  or the shut down of Trader Joe a few years ago that ended up in Winston Salem.  Some people didn't want the Tanger Performing Arts Center, some people bashed Fed X from coming or the Airport expansion, the Beltway. We could have had a Baseball Team over 20 years ago. Greensboro is a city over 300,000 inside a county of over 550,000. Not to mention how many folks commute from Danville,  Martinsville, Va, Eden, Reidsville, Madison, and other surrounding cites or counties. Many realize there are needs to to keep up with city growing, a choices. However, we have some that just want trees, jogging paths and keep it like a Mayberry or Petticoat Junction. While Winston Salem, Charlotte, Cary, Durham, Raleigh, Matthews and other cites in the Tidewater area of VA......We have negative people wanting to stay put and not grow.

Welcome to UP, @P.SAUNDERS. Would love to hear more of your thoughts on what good growth and leadership looks like. We need more voices in the Triad forum!

On 1/19/2022 at 8:19 PM, P.SAUNDERS said:

Welcome! I can tell you that Tidewater (or Hampton Roads... or Coastal VA... or whatever they're calling themselves now) is little better. In fact, I'd say it's worse. I lived there most of my life (my handle is a play on the dreaded HRBT and my alma mater, VT). It seems all the time there people are naysayers this and that... they've been talking about a new arena for like 15 years now and are no closer than they were when they started.

Point is, the negativity is everywhere. Greensboro is starting to emerge from a lot of that. At the same time, you don't want to overbuild with amenities that are not cost-effective or will dilute the amenities already in place (hence my aversion to a 5k seat arena but openness to a 7k seat arena). 

I'm getting more optimistic about Greensboro (and Winston-Salem). Assuming Toyota, Boom, and Publix come along that's a heck of an employment infusion that the city should be able to parlay into smart growth.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...