Broadview Apartments

spartanburgh

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the free land concern, but there aren't many of these opportunities, so other lots/buildings will be the only options soon.  The advantages of this site are obviously convenient deck parking and location on the Rail Trail extension (protected bike lane).  And the City will get tax revenue from a lot they get nothing from now.  And more residents on this end of Main will hopefully help support more businesses on East Main (like hopefully restaurants).  I'm going to try to make it to the DRB meeting to see what it looks like.

I figured I'd make a separate thread for this project.  If Spartan or another mod could move the other posts about it here, that'd be great.

I went to the DRB meeting.  The building is actually 5-floors on Kennedy because of the site's slope (4-floors elsewhere).  No retail, but there are two 2-story units which open to the street on Kennedy as well as the primary building entrance to the other apartments.  Renderings and site plan are below.

Long story short, the DRB didn't like the scale/mass of the retaining wall, so they told the architects to come back next month with changes.  There's a water retention system underneath, the site's slope is tricky, it allows for stoops on Kennedy and a tenant gathering space, and it allows them to line up the floors with the parking deck floors for direct access, so those are the practical reasons for it.  I definitely agree that they could make the wall less imposing.  Otherwise I like the modern design; it's something different for Spartanburg.

BVAcorner.thumb.JPG.b712dbf8dae3678f7fb4BVAken.thumb.JPG.4f14a05831b8458c7f646ccBVAconv.thumb.JPG.0903138ac6228073d2db27BVAsite.thumb.JPG.a59f28f7b21a7345d403c0

The project overall is great. The lack of retail in that spot doesn't really bother me since it's not in the core area where retail needs to be. The giant wall on Converse, however, does bother me. Mostly because that "courtyard" will only hold a bocce court. That doesn't seem like a good use of space to me. I also don't care for the aluminum siding that they are showing on the top portion of the building. It's a material combination and choice that is super popular right now, but that will look dated in a relatively short time frame.

Given that we probably have to live with the wall, I would rather them make the sidewalk wider or use a planting strip / tree wells to allow for greater separation of pedestrians from traffic. The current sidewalk is 4-5ft at back of curb which isn't pleasant to walk on.

The retaining wall doesn't really bother me too much depending on how far it is off the road.  The Denny's retaining wall on S converse is much higher that a person's head also.  That being said, if they could terrace it down some and add some water falls then I would really be on board...

• 1 month later...

The DRB approved this project tonight after their concerns were addressed by changes made to the retaining wall to make it slightly less imposing by lowering the brick around the courtyard (particularly the right side) and using more fencing instead.  Also, a built-in bench was included at the corner of Kennedy & Converse.  City Council still needs to approve transferring the land to the developer (and at what price, if any) before work can begin.  Here's the comparison--old on top; new on bottom (sorry for the low-res new one):

BVAsidecomp.thumb.JPG.fd80d608c8f9704140

Archived