Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRDadof3

Urban Planet - Grand Rapids going on 10+ years

24 posts in this topic

I was talking with one of the original members of UP - GR last night and we couldn't believe that we both started on this forum back in 2005. We actually met at a meetup at Founders that year. A decade of talking a bunch of BS about city stuff.  :) 

Edited by GRDadof3
1 person likes this

I know. When I found this forum it was basically a guy from Detroit posting articles of GR happenings. A few of us started replying. 10 years later, it has to be one of the busiest forums on UP. Nice job everyone!

joe

This forum is great for helping me keep up with what's happening, even though I now live in California. It's (almost) as if I never left..

I have zero idea how I first found UP, but I remember back when my wife and I would hang out at the old Discussions coffee shop in 2005, with my clunky Dell laptop, using that new wonder called Wi-Fi, I would read the posts on this forum, too afraid to sign up for an account. Then one day I was like "what the heck" and I went for it (GR_Urbanist was like the least goofy name I could come up with).

I still dig through old discussions just to see the progression of not only the city and buildings, but the people too! So many great posters, insider scoops, epic fights, insane speculation, and the infamous "mystery project"!

UPGR is an invaluable history of Grand Rapids in the early 21 century and an awesome resource, not to mention incredibly entertaining!

I joined in 2005 as well.  UP helps keep me up-to-date on happenings in my hometown of GR, and over the last couple of years I have been posting about my new home of Austin.

1 person likes this

I remember one meetup where several of us walked Monroe Center and photo documented all of the vacant and blighted retail spots, and then presented to the (now defunct) Downtown Alliance. I think that's the sole reason why Monroe Center retail is 90% full now. :) 

1 person likes this

I remember seeing an ad for a project called "Icon on Bond" in 2005 and searched for it online and found UP.  I was so excited to see discussion on what was the beginnings of a lot of GR development.  Fun to look back at the projects that never happened and then the many of them that are just part of our landscape now.  Here's to the next ten years!

...and I really enjoyed the Duane Faust project speculation.

Lucky me there's no really, really unlike button on UP.  :)

Edited by The ATX

Info from UP GR was the primary reason I moved here in 2008.

Beer too :)

There should be an anniversary happy hour event.

I would only go to that if X99 was going. :)

That went fast! I joined in April 2005. It's really cool so many have stay connected here for so long.

According to my profile, I joined back in July of 2008. I don't recall how I found UP or why I joined initially, but I didn't make a post until eight months later.

I'd be interested in a happy hour downtown somewhere—it'd be interesting to meet everyone in person.

Been here since Sept. 2005  Thanks all for keeping my curiosity going and for great info.

I would only go to that if X99 was going. :)

Which one of us? ;) 

Edited by x99
2 people like this

Which one of us? ;) 

Oh great, what are you, Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde? :) 

A meetup would be nice, actually.  It's been a long time since we've had one, and some of us have changed quite a bit since then.  As has the city.  It's easy to forget how depressing Monroe Center was 10 years ago.

1 person likes this

I discover/ joined in 2006 during the "mystery project" hoopla, when Wood TV 8 mentioned urban planet.  I'm wondering if anyone else had the same prompt?

1 person likes this

I joined about that same time but not because of that, I was looking for something else and stumbled upon this place.  It was a glorious accident.

I do not post frequently but come here daily. I very much appreciate and thank you all for your contributions. This is a unique and worthy place.

1 person likes this