Calder Plaza Building to get makeover

GRDadof3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

I dont get it. Why make one sleek modern corner? Glass skin the whole building and make it taller. Add a skywalk to the devos place and a hotel for Convention goers!

So you want it taller, all glass, converted to a hotel (bad size for a hotel. Too wide), and a skywal?. Anything else? 40 story Ferris Wheel on the roof? ;)

i do think the building would look fantastic all transparent glass, but they're trying to breathe life into an underutilized building. I'm sure they probably have a budget and profit target. LOL. 

Joe

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

So you want it taller, all glass, converted to a hotel (bad size for a hotel. Too wide), and a skywal?. Anything else? 40 story Ferris Wheel on the roof? ;)

i do think the building would look fantastic all transparent glass, but they're trying to breathe life into an underutilized building. I'm sure they probably have a budget and profit target. LOL. 

Joe

I was thinking the same. Just trying to compete with the other buildings recently updated, but not make it too expensive so the rents are uncompetitive. 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Prankster said:

Bank of America just signed on as an anchor tenant for 40,000 sf. I don't see where they had an office in downtown before, so this would be a net gain for downtown. 

They were in the 40 Pearl a few years ago, just a branch I believe

4 hours ago, Prankster said:

Bank of America just signed on as an anchor tenant for 40,000 sf. I don't see where they had an office in downtown before, so this would be a net gain for downtown. 

They were here (where Huntington is located), then left the market, then came back and said this would be a regional center. Always found that odd. 40,000 sq. ft is a lot of space. Was there an announcement?

the Calder Plaza building lobby is really cool. I don't think the Mlive pictures captured how nice it really looks. Interested to see what they do with space on the north and south side of the building (which used to be the outside of the building). 

Joe

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

They were here (where Huntington is located), then left the market, then came back and said this would be a regional center. Always found that odd. 40,000 sq. ft is a lot of space. Was there an announcement?

the Calder Plaza building lobby is really cool. I don't think the Mlive pictures captured how nice it really looks. Interested to see what they do with space on the north and south side of the building (which used to be the outside of the building). 

Joe

If you call an article in the seldom read business journal an announcement:  :P

http://www.grbj.com/articles/87340-bank-signs-lease-to-anchor-downtown-landmark

19 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

They were in the 40 Pearl a few years ago, just a branch I believe

Not just a branch.  They took up four floors.  BofA absorbed LaSalle, which had absorbed Standard Federal, which in turn had absorbed Michigan National Bank.  There were employees in the main floor branch who had been there 30-40 years.  Then, BofA decided West Michigan was a loser, and slowly shut down all of their operations except for a handful of branches.  They're a non-player now, and they used to be huge.  They just gave it all away.

By and large, this is still somewhat of a delayed space swap.  Huntington took over BofA's space, and no one took over Huntington's space which was converted into a hotel.  BofA really has not been gone all that long, and their intention to come back happened maybe a year after they left?  It did not take them long to realize they blew it in a big way. Whether they can rebuild what they had, I doubt it.  Not without being very aggressive.  

1 minute ago, x99 said:

Not just a branch.  They took up four floors.  BofA absorbed LaSalle, which had absorbed Standard Federal, which I believe in turn had absorbed some other local bank.

That local bank was Michigan based, Michigan National Bank.  They used to take up much of the 13 story building, of what is now called,  77 Monroe Center. Going a little off topic my Grandma worked for MNB at 77 Monroe for at least 40 years.  When we would pick her up for lunch (Hong Kong Inn) back in the late 70's and early 80's they still had elevator operators in that building.

Glad to see BofA make a comeback in downtown GR.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was driving east on 196 the other day and noticed that the Calder Plaza Building really adds a lot of light to the cityscape with the new windows. I was surprise at how much it stuck out in the “skyline” 

Joe

Yeah, when you're upstairs in the hall at Devos Place looking across the street at night, it looks really cool. So does the Exhibitors Building from the skywalk (I has a picture). 

Archived