Spartan

Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

225 posts in this topic

A friend sent me these. The rezoning for the monstrosity that will replace the Common Market block of Camden is in but isn't up on the City's rezoning website yet. I'm sure it will hit the fan quickly for so many reasons. Apparently it's being called "DC Charlotte Plaza." This makes me so sick I almost can't stand to look at it.

This will be considered a win for those that love contemporary suburban office architecture, large blank walls, and excessive lobby space on supposed retail corridors.

DC_CLT_Plaza_1.JPG

DC_CLT_Plaza_2.JPG

DC_CLT_Plaza_3.JPG

DC_CLT_Plaza_4.JPG

DC_CLT_Plaza_5.JPG

DC_CLT_Plaza_6.JPG

DC_CLT_Plaza_7.JPG

Edited by Spartan
changed title of thread

Looks like Gateway 2.0, which isn't surprising given those involved. I'm 50:50 on this. But it mostly sucks, and I defended this project for a while. 

That, literally, will be the straw that breaks the camel's back: South End will officially become, with this project, Uptown Charlotte.

2 people like this

I was thinking "Gateway" too when I saw it. I might be supportive of this project there, or on Morehead perhaps; it has a few interesting details and as plazas go this one is not too bad.
BUT this is so incredibly wrong for Camden, wrong for South End, and is the death of any hope of maintaining a semblance of charm in the area. 

This project sucks so much.  Kill it with fire.

1 person likes this

Duda Paine designed portions of Gateway

Edited by archiham04
Misspelling

THAT!?   Good god, it's like they don't even know what the street looks like now to try to fit in.   Make it 20 stories and keep the old buildings for the retail!

BOH (back of house)... and structured parking on TRYON Street.  Sorry Tryon street is not a back alley.  this project has three prominent streets to address. and they are not doing it.

1 person likes this

Yeah, this is pretty terrible.

I wouldn't hate it somewhere else, but for this spot, it's really bad. If there was more retail on Tryon in the bottom of the parking garage, it might be mildly palatable. 

Edited by Niner National

I am usually agnostic on issues of architecture but this makes me nauseous.

Duda Paine designed portions of Gateway

I tried to raise the alarm as soon as they were announced. And their Gateway projects are their MOST urban. 

Question: look how much space is left over at this corner....why in the F couldn't they incorporate the existing buildings?

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 5.30.46 PM.png

Question: look how much space is left over at this corner....why in the F couldn't they incorporate the existing buildings?

"Because the construction would put those existing businesses out of business."

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 5.30.46 PM.png

And this is the first time I noticed the F$#*ing planting strips. WHY!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this

It would take away the character of the suburban style monstrosity..

2 people like this

I think it's time to start organizing a sit in.  Operation UP Tailgate.

hey hey, ho ho, urbanplaneteers lets go

If they just went twice the height, the new office building could fit on the food truck lot and keep all the other buildings on the block.  Granted, they may also need to then lose the grand stairs and all the plazas.

2 people like this

I think its time this Puppy gets its own thread. That way we can all gang up and march on the city.

Who can we write too that is in a position to possibly influence this?  Will their be a public meeting at some point too?

Who can we write too that is in a position to possibly influence this?  Will their be a public meeting at some point too?

Per the agenda article this morning 

What can we do?
Well this happens to be a unique opportunity where this hasn’t gone for rezoning review yet. I urge folks to contact the representative for the area (LaWana Mayfield, [email protected]), contact Dimensional, contact Cousins, and contact anyone with power who will listen. The state took away our right to protest petition, but that didn’t take away our right to be loud and stand up for what matters.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/20746/this-is-whats-coming-to-the-food-truck-friday-lot-in-south-end-and-its-bad/

1 person likes this

Yeah, this is pretty terrible.

I wouldn't hate it somewhere else, but for this spot, it's really bad. If there was more retail on Tryon in the bottom of the parking garage, it might be mildly palatable.

Agreed on this sentiment.  I don't understand why they pursued this parcel.  I assumed they had a really specific design to take advantage of the acute angles, but they really ignored that, and could put this design anywhere.  Also, the planting strips are horrific.  At least give us sidewalks to back of curb with tree wells. 

That said, that is wood, not brick, and I actually think it will be an attractive building, but this clearly doesn't address the site well at all.  There is a 120' height limit for non UMUD parcels, so going twice the height  on this site would have been a hard sell given the proximity to single-family residential, just a matter of not setting precendence.