Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

Spartan

Agreed on this sentiment.  I don't understand why they pursued this parcel.  I assumed they had a really specific design to take advantage of the acute angles, but they really ignored that, and could put this design anywhere.  Also, the planting strips are horrific.  At least give us sidewalks to back of curb with tree wells. 

That said, that is wood, not brick, and I actually think it will be an attractive building, but this clearly doesn't address the site well at all.  There is a 120' height limit for non UMUD parcels, so going twice the height  on this site would have been a hard sell given the proximity to single-family residential, just a matter of not setting precendence.

I thought the exact same thing. It makes no sense that they are paying what they are for this parcel with a design like that. I HATE the Camden Road treatment 110%. There's not one good thing  about it. I was one of the people that originally was behind this project despite losing CM and the buildings fronting Camden, but I really thought we'd get a signature building that would be an asset to the neighborhood. I may not formally protest this, but I won't be cleaning up after my dog when we walk through the plaza park on Camden. 

• Like 3

What a revolting project.  And what a slap in the face it is for DFA to say they care about the neighborhood and then replace a favorite local gathering spot and a litany of interesting historical buildings with this suburban monstrosity.  

For once I actually wish that SC would come along, give this company an incentives package they can't refuse, and sweep them and their crappy building right into York County where something of this caliber actually fits.

#Savecommonmarket #thisbelongselsewhere

Edit: I imagine at some point SC likely will make a play for DFA and Charlotte will have no DFA...just a crummy building.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

Ely just posted an article about it on the Observer:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article38062173.html

I didn't expect him to be knee-jerk furious about it, and I suppose it's not an opinion piece, but I do wish he had made a note to mention...something...anything...about the complete lack of interest in making this a project that fits into HISTORIC South End.  He's the most visible voice in Charlotte regarding planning and development.  I guess I understand.  But....sigh.

• Like 1

Ely just posted an article about it on the Observer:  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article38062173.html

I didn't expect him to be knee-jerk furious about it, and I suppose it's not an opinion piece, but I do wish he had made a note to mention...something...anything...about the complete lack of interest in making this a project that fits into HISTORIC South End.  He's the most visible voice in Charlotte regarding planning and development.  I guess I understand.  But....sigh.

Trust me, he hates it, we've spoken at length. But his job is to inform, not opine. 

Just send an email to Mayfield venting my frustrations.  I really encourage all of you to do the same, especially since there still seems to be time.  As you all have said, this building could be more thoughtfully integrated into the neighborhood in so many ways.  Developers pull this crap because this city allows them to do so...gag!

• Like 1

About the Plaza. The retail is really stuck in there and who likes to walk up into a plaza like that? It's very uninviting

and that big blank circular thing could have a mural or something on it.

this should've been in Levineland or South Blvd. 

About the Plaza. The retail is really stuck in there and who likes to walk up into a plaza like that? It's very uninviting

and that big blank circular thing could have a mural or something on it.

this should've been in Levineland or South Blvd. 

They threw retail in there to attempt to appease people that want retail in South end.  their way around actually having real foot traffic was to bury it back away from the sidewalk behind a plaza.  They are totally uninviting spaces that either end up being empty or filled with a sundries shop or a Quiznos that'll be open from 8am - 5pm when office workers are in the building.  it's a complete horsecrap move to meet whatever minute zoning regulations the city does have.

You're basically going to end up with this empty dead-zone that looks like a zombie apocalypse after 3pm everyday.

Capture.thumb.PNG.c2de766a8d06f84351c5e8

• Like 1

Admittedly I only apprenticed for an architect in my teens, and then decided I was too punk rock for Architecture my second year in college, and focused on graphic design/advertising, but this is what I'd do for the ground floor, in order to save the buildings.

DFA.thumb.jpg.6e474107bea311424122392811

This is the First Office Level (Level 3)

DFA-Office.thumb.jpg.d3f8f39bee263d03e80

Edited by Guest

The thing that drives me crazy is that there are soooo many other places in South End DFA could locate if they absolutely can't stomach being in Uptown, SouthPark, or Ballantyne.  As some have mentioned, the building isn't the absolute worst we've seen (I'm talking to you AvidXchange), but it just has no place in the heart of the South End stroll district.  I know there are issues with building/land owners and tenants, but there are many underutilized parcels within a few blocks where this building could be built.  And DFA's employees could then walk to Common Market for lunch or stay for Food Truck Fridays after work!  And why does DFA have to be in South End anyway?  Their corporate headquarters building is off a major highway in the Austin equivalent of Ballantyne, and now they have to build their East Cost headquarters in our version of South Congress?  WTF?

Rant over......for now.

Some emails/alerts are already going around the South End, Wilmore and Dilworth community social sites and email lists about this project. For our urban design experts, what specific enhancements do we need to push for in order to get this project to where it needs to be?

I learned everything I know about urban planning by reading this forum, so feel free to add to or modify the following bullets, but I just wanted to help get us started with some simple talking points.

• Integrate existing buildings and businesses into the development, such as Common Market, that have been vital to the neighborhood fabric and redevelopment of South End.
  • Re-orient ground retail structures to the street, particularly on Camden Ave, to fit in with the overall fabric of the Camden Ave stroll district.
  • Develop all ground floor structures at a ceiling height where ground floor exterior can be retroactively reconfigured to meet future demand for retail as South End continues to become more dense.

This hasn't been mentioned before on this, but the height that they are seeking is 12 feet taller than the ashton, 157 feet, 37 feet higher than what the current zoning allows. Personally I'd like to see them push this to 170-200 feet and decrease the footprint that the building requires.

CBJ has an article on it now: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/10/cousins-files-plans-for-office-development-at.html

There is a quote in there from the developer's lawyer that's rather interesting:

“We’ve had some positive conversations with folks who have an interest in the South End area,” he says. “Obviously change is something that takes a little while for people to gravitate to, but the early indications have been positive.”

Uh... What crackhead thinks this development in its current form is positive? Other than maybe positively horrible.

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

So here is my advice... BEWARE OF THE SMOKESCREEN...  Developers are not idiots and there is a lot of money riding on this (and any) rezoning.  Take the six foot reduction on Kings drive as an example.  Everyone was so focused on this height issue, all other issues appear to have been ignored. Choose your battles wisely, establish your priorities and make sure that ALL of them are addressed.

Just send an email to Mayfield venting my frustrations.  I really encourage all of you to do the same, especially since there still seems to be time.  As you all have said, this building could be more thoughtfully integrated into the neighborhood in so many ways.  Developers pull this crap because this city allows them to do so...gag!

I did this as well this morning and got a bit off basis response to what I was writing about.  She did copy two folks from City Center Partners on her response to me.  When I responded back I reiterated my points and its not that I oppose the development in general.

Good morning and Thank you for your e-mail,

I do listen to the concerns of the residents and I also have concerns regarding the impact of this development. I am working closely with Chuck and Tobe Holmes of Charlotte City Partners to identify opportunities to keep what has made South End what it is today.

Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to tell a land owner they can not sell but I do believe Tobe can assist with brining together a community meeting to discuss the plans and options for the area.

Councilwoman

LaWana Mayfield
Charlotte City Council
District 3

I did this as well this morning and got a bit off basis response to what I was writing about.  She did copy two folks from City Center Partners on her response to me.  When I responded back I reiterated my points and its not that I oppose the development in general.

Good morning and Thank you for your e-mail,

I do listen to the concerns of the residents and I also have concerns regarding the impact of this development. I am working closely with Chuck and Tobe Holmes of Charlotte City Partners to identify opportunities to keep what has made South End what it is today.

Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to tell a land owner they can not sell but I do believe Tobe can assist with brining together a community meeting to discuss the plans and options for the area.

Councilwoman

LaWana Mayfield
Charlotte City Council
District 3

hehe, this my friend is a form letter. 

I received an identical letter, and I believe Jayvee did too.