Spartan

Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

This building looks great when close up and at street level, but it looks really bad from South Boulevard.
That large grey long box on top looks terrible - Too bad the glass does not extend up far enough to 
block the view of the components on top of the building.

Photos? Last time I was in town the box on top looked like it’d shape up nicely. A lot nicer than the barely sheathed chillers not so hidden atop 300 South Tryon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sorry I did not get a pic,  but look back 1 page at the 
Nov. 5th post from Nicholas and zoom in on the first pic to see what I am talking about - 

I noticed it as I passed on South Blvd. the other day - all in all a great building though - but I wish the glass had gone a little higher to screen 

(or block) the view of this thing on top of the building - all the other pics on the previous page are so sleek and clean

1 hour ago, midtownclt said:

sorry I did not get a pic,  but look back 1 page at the 
Nov. 5th post from Nicholas and zoom in on the first pic to see what I am talking about - 

I noticed it as I passed on South Blvd. the other day - all in all a great building though - but I wish the glass had gone a little higher to screen 

(or block) the view of this thing on top of the building - all the other pics on the previous page are so sleek and clean

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about lol.  You talking about this shot?

DSC_4388.jpg

• Like 1

YES THAT IS THE ONE - SEE THE THING ON TOP.

THE BUILDING LOOKS GREAT IN ALL THE PICS WHERE YOU CAN NOT SEE THIS

BUT FROM SOUTH BLVD DRIVING BY IT WAS SO PROMINENT.

I don't really mind it. Funny stuff though, I reread most of this thread from the beginning, and boy did we hate the idea of this project. I guess cant change what is already demolished.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, midtownclt said:

YES THAT IS THE ONE - SEE THE THING ON TOP.

THE BUILDING LOOKS GREAT IN ALL THE PICS WHERE YOU CAN NOT SEE THIS

BUT FROM SOUTH BLVD DRIVING BY IT WAS SO PROMINENT.

Agree completely.

It looks like painted particle board IRL.

Its like a booger dangling from the prom queen's nose.

• Like 4

My co-worker's spouse works for a major contractor working on this DFA project. They're both from out of town and came here for this job. She says that whenever he tells people where he's working, he constantly gets shade for DFA razing the original buildings.

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I this this is the best new building built in the last 10 years outside of uptown.   Thats all I will say about it.  

For me that is Rail Yards.  This is second, but only by default as what has been built other than stick built forgettable appts?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

For me that is Rail Yards.  This is second, but only by default as what has been built other than stick built forgettable appts?

I like the RailYard too but this one a little better. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, nicholas said:

This is turning into a really cool little intersection:

DSC_4618.jpg

The utilities and transportation elements in that picture look more urban than the generic architecture. Such a disappointing replacement for former gathering areas.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Easily the most interesting building being built in all of Charlotte right now. This type of architecture is what Charlotte needs to not just be another stick in the mud city as it currently looks. Lets be  honest here. Charlotte is the largest U.S. city not known for anything. Not its history, not its landscape, etc. So I feel that all of the surface  and vacant lots in and around uptown should capitalize on making really big nice parks like RB and more interesting buildings like this one, then I believe Charlotte can be a memorable city in that way. But it does take the cake for cleanest downtown(Uptown) for most people.  

Edited by j-man

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

Easily the most interesting building being built in all of Charlotte right now. This type of architecture is what Charlotte needs to not just be another stick in the mud city as it currently looks. Lets be  honest here. Charlotte is the largest U.S. city not known for anything. Not its history, not its landscape, etc. So I feel if all of the surface lots in and around uptown should capitalize on making really big nice parks and more interesting buildings like this one, then I believe Charlotte can be a memorable city in that way. But it does take the cake for cleanest downtown(Uptown). 

I was pondering this (Charlotte being largest US city known for nothing) - and wondering if it's just pure fantasy that the State would/could commission a Large State Run Aquarium (to compete with Georgia Aquarium) or Zoo in Charlotte?  We don't have anything like that now.  Maybe these would help Charlotte stand out

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

*cough* San Jose *cough* Fort Worth *biggest cough* Columbus, Ohio *done coughing*

Ok ok. Maybe add in Jacksonville. But still. my point still stands.

10 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I was pondering this (Charlotte being largest US city known for nothing) - and wondering if it's just pure fantasy that the State would/could commission a Large State Run Aquarium (to compete with Georgia Aquarium) or Zoo in Charlotte?  We don't have anything like that now.  Maybe these would help Charlotte stand out

totally agree. And better museums. Just googling attractions in Charlotte makes me cringe. 

• Like 1