Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

Spartan

Sorry to continue this thread along the off topic path but Atlanta is very much a vacation destination for African Americans (and people of African decent globally) for what it’s worth. 

As far as Charlotte becoming more of tourist destination, the development of the Gold District and Savona could go a long way.  I believe a space needle/ CN tower type project is the only thing that could drastically boost tourism.  I’ll add a ”Sceptre” tower to the armchair developer thread. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

MODERATORS: Please move this conversation to the Charlotte sucks thread in the Nashville forum.

Back to DFA - Anyone know when the retail will start opening?  Delivery to DFA is Q1, right?  

None of the retail tenants have been announced yet, so Its not clear when it will start delivering. I've talked to Cousins a few times and they have been getting tons of interest, but had a few things fall through.  They seem more intent on finding the right programming for their space, vs signing the next Fast Casual Poké Restaurant.

Outside of maybe the top 3 largest metros in the country, no city is “known” for anything unless they’re a tourist destination. It isn’t exclusive to Charlotte. The only reason people (whom I’ve never encountered) confuse Charlotte’s geographical location with Charleston, Charlottesville, etc is because of the name similarity,  not because Charlotte has no identity. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Well they also have many more events both sporting events and conferences, not sure we will ever be able to catch up to those cities. But I'm not really sure that matters.

Sporting events and conferences? Lame. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I mean. Yes. Literally. (And putt putt)

Yes I did. And it still is more known than Charlotte. just saying. Don't forget, the beach, better food, more beautiful natural landscape, and better weather.  Whatevers left can go to Charlotte.:tw_wink:

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Better... food...?????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes lol. Maybe not so much now becuase of the variety and how large Charlotte is, But I've lived in both and I stand by my statement. 

Edited by j-man

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Yes lol. Maybe not so much now becuase of the variety and how large Charlotte is, But I've lived in both and I stand by my statement. 

I Just can't agree with this. For every decent restaurant in Myrtle Beach, and that what they are... decent, from my experience, theres a half dozen great/good in Charlotte. I mean theres probably a bunch more places to get seafood, if thats your thing, but that doesn't mean they do seafood good lol.

Also I don't think I can agree with it having more natural beauty. Maybe before all of Myrtle Beach was built haha.

Edited by Guest

Charlotte's cuisine is really good.  It's way better than Chapel Hill's, which surprises me because Chapel Hill has a much more international, diverse population due to the Universities and the RTP.   Chinese food and bagels around here stink, for example, whereas, in Charlotte, there are much more (and better) offerings.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I Just can't agree with this. For every decent restaurant in Myrtle Beach, and that what they are... decent, from my experience, theres a half dozen great/good in Charlotte. I mean theres probably a bunch more places to get seafood, if thats your thing, but that doesn't mean they do seafood good lol.

Also I don't think I can agree with it having more natural beauty. Maybe before all of Myrtle Beach was built haha.

Ok. I feel as though Myrtle has better mom and pop places for like BBQ and seafood. I'll give Charlotte tacos and beer, because that is basically every other place to eat here.  When I say better, I mean its easier to get a good cheap meal in Myrtle compared to Charlotte.  I like Prices Chicken tho, lol. And when I say natural beauty, I mean the waterways, the Live Oak trees, an d the Palmetto trees. Charlotte doesnt have any spectacular natural aspect. If so please let me know. 

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

As an example, Freedom Park.

So about Dimensional Place, any hints anyone can provide about potential retail tenants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense, but this is a man made lake, that isn't that memorable. 

Edited by j-man

9 minutes ago, j-man said:

Ok. I feel as though Myrtle has better mom and pop places for like BBQ and seafood. I'll give Charlotte tacos and beer, because that is basically every other place to eat here.  When I say better, I mean its easier to get a good cheap meal in Myrtle compared to Charlotte.  I like Prices Chicken tho, lol. And when I say natural beauty, I mean the waterways, the Live Oak trees, an d the Palmetto trees. Charlotte doesnt have any spectacular natural aspect. If so please let me know. 

Okay, so there you hit the nail on the head. Cheap food. Thats because its a bargain tourist spot. I mostly agree with that, though I do think if you travel to the more international sections of town you'll be amazed how much good cheap food there is. Not to mention nestled into every neighborhood in Charlotte theres something authentic if you look for it. Lupie's, Eddie's Place, Price's, Alexander Michaels, Lang Van, Brooks' Sandwich Shop, Pinky's, Los Paisas, etc etc

When i say cheap, Im not talking about it just being low budget. Im saying you can get something like a better tasting bbq sandwich  in Myrtle than Charlotte. Like the basic foods from a hole in the wall restaurant . These drive in places are over hyped here in Charlotte  to me.. .....so are we actually agreeing here? lol :tw_sweat_smile:

Edited by j-man

28 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

fb9d98d60ae9c548b344c2a793015f74.jpg

As an example, Freedom Park.

So about Dimensional Place, any hints anyone can provide about potential retail tenants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet on the retail tenants  and based on this discussion thread we need an all you can eat seafood buffet in there LOL 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not yet on the retail tenants  and based on this discussion thread we need an all you can eat seafood buffet in there LOL 

I know this is a joke, lol but I would honestly  have a reason to eat out if there was one here. Beats shrimp tacos! :tw_joy:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Say what you will, but this place is packed on a nice day, and there have been days that I have seen 3 separate photo shoots going on (prom pictures, family pictures, wedding pictures, etc.)  Sorry if it doesn't live up to your Redneck Riviera standards, lol. 

LMAO. not the Redneck Riviera!! It just gives me a cold vibe. Not that warm and inviting.

7 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

OFF TOPIC:  To quote the great philosopher Ice Man: No you mean notorious.  IMO Myrtle Beach is singularly the worst beach in both Carolinas and potentially all of the Atlantic coast.  Years of pumping sand up onto the beach and directing all the storm water drains onto the beach has literally created a man made monstrosity.  The beaches there are just as man made as this lake in FP.   And the food there is nothing short of tertiary for the state of SC (Charleston and Greenville both have better restaurants), and certainly not comparable to CLT.  Live oaks are a dime a dozen on the coast.  You can get those anywhere from Jacksonville to Jacksonville and they all look the same.  I will take Charlotte for being known as a banking center, a beer city (one of a few with this density), a burgeoning tech center, and an up and coming city in general, over putt-putt golf, live oaks, cheap food, and bad beaches.   Frankly, I am happy with where things are going and it takes time to build a cultural image - both nationally and locally.  Being known for nothing or only slightly known for good things is better than being infamous - .

More importantly, can we stop talking about this crap in this thread.  There are threads for this conversation...take it there.

I stopped talking about this long ago. i kept getting quoted. And yes Greenville maybe, but Charleston indeed has the best restaurants in all the Carolinas hands down by a landslide. Its 10 ten in the U.S. and Charlotte doesn't come close. maybe top 100 for the Queen City. Myrtle has pretty average beaches for sure, but still the area gets more visitors (18 million+ every year) than any single beachfront area in the U.S.  minus maybe MIA, and beaches in California and Hawaii. But ok moving along. 

Edited by j-man

Random roadway intersection in Myrtle (which includes an established seafood restaurant):

Myrtle.thumb.jpg.fc08b0a41b323c4a939cb19fbed375cb.jpg

Random roadway intersection in Charlotte (which includes some history and public art (one of my favorites in Charlotte)):

charlotte.thumb.jpg.fdee28b1eb21f13954d0a0547ef8414e.jpg

I'll take Charlotte 100% of the time over Myrtle.

Back to topic, have they announced any retail tenants for dimensional place?  Looking forward to this and railyard opening, they're my two favorite projects in Charlotte.

• Like 3