Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

Spartan

28 minutes ago, Spartan said:

The more I read about the lobby, the less I like it. The fact that they are saying it doubles as a place for public art is complete BS. What it amounts to is that 1/4 of their frontage on Camden Rd is going to be dead space most of the time. I'm not going to bring my friends who are in town for the weekend down to South End so we can stand outside and look at stuff through windows. Though I guess  that could be Charlotte's niche - art displays that are closed off to the public most of the time. After out stop in South End I could take them up to the Carolina Theater and look at some art through their lobby windows AND a reconstruction of what their entrance used to look like.

Don't forget about the actually foundation buildings collection that's only open 9-5. 

The name is escaping me but a well known curator in the area is actually getting a really nice collection together for the project. I agree the lobby is dead space along Camden but the site plan is still heavily improved 

you take your friends to whatever restaurants are here, and just so happen to walk by the art plaza. No big deal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

As a rule of thumb, don't take anything I say seriously.  Even the serious stuff.

I was having a bad day earlier and TBH I was probably still hung over. :alc: And when I'm hungover, I can be cranky. Monday is my Friday or Saturday, so don't take what I say seriously on a Tuesday morning. :D

• Like 2

Haha, yeah my sarcasm does not translate well online - sorry if I offended! It was definitely a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular (unless the architect is reading this - I hope he takes it personally). I agree that the building is a whole is a lot better, but I get irritated at unnecessarily large lobbies. I think they are the 'jacked-up pickup trucks' of the architecture world. 

I actually like the idea of saving the facades an incorporating it into the new building if its done well. The Fat City building in NoDa is a reasonable comparison, though I think you need the upper portion to be setback a little further to make it 'feel' right.

5 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So this post is due to boredom and is in no way meant to disparage Food Truck Friday or anything about its legacy and importance. But I'm curious: Did anyone ever go to FTF and not like it? I could never get into it.

I liked it until it started to get very busy, within the past 18 months. So now I tend to go to FTF in Matthews, which is pretty good especially when trucks from the South End FTF go to Matthews. 

^ Yup. I liked it "back in the day' before it got too crowded, but I stopped going when the lines started to get long and I realized it was impossible to escape the sounds of all the generators.

While I haven't been a patron in more than a year I really did appreciate the number of people it managed to attract on a regular basis. So I guess its the old Barraism "No body goes there anymore, its too crowded."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So this post is due to boredom and is in no way meant to disparage Food Truck Friday or anything about its legacy and importance. But I'm curious: Did anyone ever go to FTF and not like it? I could never get into it.

Yeah I am not really a fan. Standing in clouds of cig smoke, while being surrounded by drunk bros waiting hours for food I can get in 10 minutes the next day.....not really my thing

• Like 1

I love it in principle, but when I go just have to be sure to get my food EARLY, eat quickly, then relocate to the CM patio to hang out. Where the CM patio used to be insanely packed on Friday nights its been at a healthier level as FTF got more popular, a trade-off I haven't minded all. 

Anyway, I wish they'd go with the idea of shutting down Camden and have trucks lined up and down the street. The new planned FTF lot is smaller than the current one I believe; either it will be even more crowded and hectic, it'll hold fewer trucks, or it'll be less popular since its a little farther removed from anything else of much interest. 

1 minute ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

^ I think the plan was to shut down Kingston for the trucks and people sit/socialize on the lawn of the new lot. 

Don't be ridiculous! That plan is too easy, let's cram everyone into the small lot. This is the city where new apartment block residents demand culture, and then want apartments that destroy culture. 

Lin all seriousness, if that is the plan then it's a good one. 

6 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah I am not really a fan. Standing in clouds of cig smoke, while being surrounded by drunk bros waiting hours for food I can get in 10 minutes the next day.....not really my thing

I took an out-of-town visitor there back in the summer. It seemed like something you might do now and again.

But it's been 6 months and I haven't been back.

Can't stand cigarette smoke.

On 11/11/2015, 8:21:27, ah59396 said:

Charlotte is not alone in this regard.

It's happening in every boom town in America.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'm really surprised that nobody showed up to speak against the rezoning for this project. 

http://www.charlottefive.com/if-anyone-is-opposed-to-the-south-end-development-plans-they-didnt-tell-city-council/

I think enough people are happy enough with it now and the loud mouths who aren't obviously didn't care enough to show up so whatever. 

• Like 3