Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

Spartan

6 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

Nothing really new to add but a different view, it looks like another concrete pour day despite the weather and the scaffolding is starting to come down on the lower floors. 

20180226_163827.jpg

20180226_165603.jpg

Should really start to fly now. The bulkiest part of the pour is done. I'd imagine we see a floor every 1.5 weeks from this point forward. 

Just now, Cadi40 said:

The floors are truly high, 163 feet for 8 floors is wonderful, will you be able to see it from afar?

163 feet is 18 feet taller than Ashton, so yes. 

• 2 weeks later...

With all of the new development in this area, I’d love to see South Boulevard become a great thoroughfare.  I’d love to see South Blvd between Remount Rd and Uptown reduced to two lanes of one-way Traffic and have dramatically expanded, grassy/tree-filled sidewalks, a tree-filled median and bike lanes.  The median would separate the car lanes from the bike lanes, and the bikelanes would be adjacent to the sidewalk, but separated from the sidewalk, by a further, grassy/tree-lined area.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Camden has been one of my favorite stretches to watch grow over the last five or so years. That said, I'll second another poster it would be awesome to close off Camden from motorists and make it a stroll area put in some picnic tables where I can eat my Price's.

• Like 4

On 3/29/2018 at 2:38 PM, Sigma said:

Camden has been one of my favorite stretches to watch grow over the last five or so years. That said, I'll second another poster it would be awesome to close off Camden from motorists and make it a stroll area put in some picnic tables where I can eat my Price's.

I had a summer internship in commercial development and commercial propert management in 2001 at MECA Properties.  At the time, MECA’s entire office was located in one the Camden Row office suites (MECA developed Camden Row).  Camden Row was newly developed, the design center and atherton mill were fairly recently re-purposed/re-developed, Kingston Flats was just about to break ground (if I recall correctly), and I remember how much character and potential I believed the area had back then.  It’s amazing to see how far the Camden area (and surrounding areas, including wilmore and west blvd) have progressed in the last 17 years.  

For those of us who grew up in Charlotte in the 1980s, and prior, that area was primarily crime ridden and in a state of disrepair.  Largely a place you’d never go unless it was after dawn and before dusk.  My father prosecuted a fair number of murder cases that occurred in and around the area.  There were also many unlicensed liquor houses, several hard drug dens that led to murder cases involving what we now refer to as “stick-up boys”, and very high rates of petty crime just off of or very close to Camden.

It’s somewhat disappointing that “affordable housing” is being pushed out of the area by way of gentrification.  However, there are still a lot of long-time home owners in the Wilmore area who always cared about the community and now possess incredible equity in their homes and the land on which their homes are located.  IMO, the area around Camden, in particular, has by and large been a great success story in revamping what was previously a decaying part of Charlotte’s “urban core.”  Although, I do wish we saw less stick-built generic mid-rise nearby.  In time, however, I believe that we’ll see redevelopment of the generic stick-builts as land values continue to increase along with the demand to live close in along a transit corridor.  It’s a phenomenon that I saw play out extensively during the years I spent living in DC during the early 2000s (and I do recognize that DC’s heavy rail METRO system is miles ahead of anything in or planned for Charlotte; however, the proximity of Camden and its near surroundings are certainly comparable, sans the existence of Union Station, to some of the major DC redevelopment that occurred around the H Street NW corridor in DC that used to be one of the roughest areas in the country).

In sum, Camden is pretty sweet for a city of Charlotte’s size (and relative newness in terms of growing to its current size).

• Like 4

In another view, I lived in Dilworth and in the late 1990's a friend who was interested in flipping a house knew I lived near Wilmore and asked me to look around and see if any possible homes might be available for him. I drove every block of every street from Bland down to Palmer and Mint to Camden and there was not one for sale sign. I tried a few weeks later and still nothing. I realized that the market was primed for change and someone(s) was controlling properties, buying, holding for rental use, banking, speculating, and thus waiting for a conventional sale was useless. Insiders only, please. He had missed the inflection point and without me knowing it though I lived only a few blocks away. I duly reported my findings and he went elsewhere. 

When did the speculation in Villa Heights begin? Ten years ago?  Fifteen? More?

23 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

It definitely has changed a lot. For anyone who like to read, check out “The Hornets Nest” by Patricia Cornwell. It is about a serial killer in south end and captures the former seediness of that area perfectly haha

Also check out Historic Charlotte by Dan Morrill.  

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Love this building probably tied with Railyard as my 2nd favorite building underway.  Today. 

IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_8085.JPG

really taking shape. Will be great to see all this screened in high quality materials