Jump to content

Spartan

Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

Recommended Posts

Just now, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Jacksonville is a total dump but it DOES have a river through it, Beaches and is in Florida.

lol. Youre right. Being near water always gives a city an advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, j-man said:

lol. Youre right. Being near water always gives a city an advantage. 

We are near water, but have done NOTHING to grow toward it smartly, or utilized it as a resource/ feature. Hopefully the plans for River District change that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus when I travel nationwide or even globally people know NASCAR is based or centered here.  Had an Aussie immediately know of Charlotte down under.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Pretty sure Charlotte is well known as a financial center. 

And how uninteresting is that...... I'm talking about something relevant. lol 

 

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Plus when I travel nationwide or even globally people know NASCAR is based or centered here.  Had an Aussie immediately know of Charlotte down under.

But that still isnt that interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, j-man said:

And how uninteresting is that...... I'm talking about something relevant. lol 

 

But that still isnt that interesting. 

We have the WORLDS LARGEST MAN MADE LAKE, per Donald Trump

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

We have the WORLDS LARGEST MAN MADE LAKE, per Donald Trump

...Donald Trump? ugh what could be worst to be tied to?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlotte is trying to figure itself out, we’re still a relatively young city. I’m sure as time goes on something will come out of us, but don’t expect us to be the next Orlando.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, j-man said:

And how uninteresting is that...... I'm talking about something relevant. lol 

 

But that still isnt that interesting. 

I guess it matters to someone people are flocking here. They must like the weather the location the cost of living availability of jobs.    Not sure what might interest you but thousands are moving here for something.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, j-man said:

And how uninteresting is that...... I'm talking about something relevant. lol 

 

But that still isnt that interesting. 

Speaking as someone who lives far away from Charlotte, in San Diego, I can agree that it's the biggest city known for nothing.  I'm from North Carolina originally, and used to live in Charlotte, so of course I'm well aware that it's a major financial center.  And I know NASCAR is there.  But people who don't follow NASCAR and who don't pay attention to where major banks are headquartered (i.e., most people), Charlotte is known for nothing.  Many millions of people pass through the Charlotte airport every year, and most never leave the airport.  And while they're in the airport I have a feeling the majority have no clue where they are.  Maybe they don't even know what state they're in!

People constantly confuse Charlottesville, VA, and Charleston, SC, with Charlotte.  It's incredible.  When the KKK march happened in Charlottesville, there was a popular meme circulating on Facebook referencing the location as "Charlotte, Virginia."  During one of the recent hurricanes that flooded Jacksonville and Charleston,  I watched a CNN weather guy reporting about the flooding "in downtown Charlotte."  He referenced "downtown Charlotte" a couple times while showing live images that were clearly out of Charleston!  After a commercial break a news anchor came on to clarify that the flooding was in Charleston, not Charlotte.

On New Years Eve I was in a conversation with someone who thought Charleston was in North Carolina.  I suspect she was confusing Charlotte with Charleston.  About a year ago, I was discussing the violence that occurred in Charlotte during the BLM march after the police shooting.  She tried to correct me saying "you mean the Klan rally."  No, I said, the Klan rally was in Charlottesville.  I'm talking about the BLM march in Charlotte.  She had a blank look on her face.  I tried to explain to her that Charlottesville and Charlotte are completely different places with nothing in common.  Blank look.

As for the thousands of people moving to Charlotte, they're following jobs and better weather, not a city identify.

As for the idea mentioned above of a zoo or aquarium in Charlotte, if you really want to distinguish Charlotte, think of something unique.  San Diego has the many-decades-old reputation for the best zoo.  It would take an enormous investment to come close to that.  Besides, NC already has a zoo.  Make that one better.  And Baltimore and Boston are known for their aquariums.  I don't have any good ideas myself, but I think it needs to be something that only Charlotte can be known for, perhaps tied to its textile mill history, like the (IMO, wonderful) plans to create a place to see artisans at work at Savona mill (with restaurants and shops) and a trolley from UT Charlotte to take people there.  If that's done right, it could be a terrific tourist draw.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Charlotte is trying to figure itself out, we’re still a relatively young city. I’m sure as time goes on something will come out of us, but don’t expect us to be the next Orlando.

Charlotte was founded in the 1700s tho. Thats plenty of time to have character by now....Myrtle Beach was established only 82 yeaars ago and has a sense of place.

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I guess it matters to someone people are flocking here. They must like the weather the location the cost of living availability of jobs.    Not sure what might interest you but thousands are moving here for something.  

I agree with those things but none of that has to do with my initial point. Sure its affordable, good jobs, and has all 4 seasons.... its THE typical average  American city. Im talkinig about attractions people actually travel across country or even the world to see or want to go to.  I get it "Charlotte is still growing"

Edited by j-man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Speaking as someone who lives far away from Charlotte, in San Diego, I can agree that it's the biggest city known for nothing.  I'm from North Carolina originally, and used to live in Charlotte, so of course I'm well aware that it's a major financial center.  And I know NASCAR is there.  But people who don't follow NASCAR and who don't pay attention to where major banks are headquartered (i.e., most people), Charlotte is known for nothing.  Many millions of people pass through the Charlotte airport every year, and most never leave the airport.  And while they're in the airport I have a feeling the majority have no clue where they are.  Maybe they don't even know what state they're in.

People constantly confuse Charlottesville, VA and Charleston, SC with Charlotte.  It's incredible.  When the KKK march happened in Charlottesville, there was a popular meme circulating on Facebook referencing the location as "Charlotte, Virginia."  During one of the recent hurricanes that flooded Jacksonville and Charleston,  I watched a CNN weather guy reporting about the flooding "in downtown Charlotte."  He referenced "downtown Charlotte" a couple times while showing live images that were clearly out of Charleston.  After a commercial break a news anchor clarified that the flooding was in Charleston, not Charlotte.

On New Years Eve I was in a conversation with someone who thought Charleston was in North Carolina.  I'm sure she was confusing Charlotte with Charleston.  About a year ago, I was discussing the violence that occurred in Charlotte during the BLM march after the police shooting.  She tried to correct me saying "you mean the Klan rally."  No, I said, the Klan rally was in Charlottesville.  I'm talking about the BLM march in Charlotte.  She had a blank look on her face.  I tried to explain to her that Charlottesville and Charlotte are completely different places with nothing in common.  Blank look.

As for the idea mentioned above of a zoo or aquarium, if you really want to distinguish Charlotte, think of something unique.  San Diego has the many-decades-old reputation for the best zoo.  It would take an enormous investment to come close to that.  Besides, NC already has a zoo.  Make that one better.  And Baltimore and Boston are known for their aquariums.  I don't have any good ideas myself, but I think it needs to be something that only Charlotte can be known for, perhaps tied to its textile mill history, like the (IMO, wonderful) plans to create a place to see artisans at work at Savona mill (with restaurants and shops) and a trolley from UT Charlotte to take people there.  If that's done right, it could be a terrific tourist draw.

You are soooooo right. I thought Charlotte, and Charleston were well known enough for people to know the difference but people always get them and Charlottesville confused...I don't get it. like they all cannot be anymore different.  And tbh. I cant think of anything unique for this city that is being stuffed with transplants. 

 

And lets point out a big giveaway.....what's Charlotte's biggest slogan at the moment in recent years...lol "Charlotte's Got a Lot." They know what people say about this city, and they are trying to prove them wrong. Just hasn't worked yet. *shrugs*

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, j-man said:

And lets point out a big giveaway.....what's Charlotte's biggest slogan at the moment in recent years...lol "Charlotte's Got a Lot." They know what people say about this city, and they are trying to prove them wrong. Just hasn't worked yet. *shrugs*

Charlotte isn't a major vacation destination and likely never will be, other than for regional tourism within the Southeast. I don't think any of us are in denial on that. It is a great place to live, work, and explore as a resident, but I wouldn't vacation here myself and that is ok. People come in regionally to spend money at sporting events, conventions, a weekend away in the city, Carowinds, etc... but you aren't going to have massive amounts of people flying in from Singapore and Madrid to come check out Charlotte. 

San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Orlando, Boston, Honolulu, San Diego, Chicago, etc... are always going to be the big vacation cities in the USA and where international visitors want to visit. That hasn't really changed for decades. 

Edited by CLT2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte isn't a vacation destination and likely never will be, other than for regional tourism within the Southeast. I don't think any of us are in denial on that. 

San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Orlando, Boston, Honolulu, San Diego, Chicago, etc... are always going to be the big vacation cities in the USA and where international visitors want to visit. 

I agree. I didnt want to say all that but they took me there in the comments. lol But on the other hand there are inland cities with no vacation appeal that are desired for travel like Atlanta, Memphis, and even Dallas that people want to visit. 

4 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Charlotte does have character and does have a sense of place.  It may not be well known to some and it may not be up to some peoples "standards" but Charlotte is a great place with plenty of things to distinguish it from other places (aviation museum, Carowinds, whitewater center, awesome breweries, finance, NASCAR, etc.).  What Charlotte needs to keep doing is to build on what it has.  It irritates me when people complain about the lack of this or the lack of that and then suggest that we copy something that another city has.  And who cares if there are people out there that don't know the difference in Charlotte, Charleston, and Charlottesville.  There are plenty of people out there who do the same with Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus or Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Indianapolis, etc.  Now lets get back to topic and take the rest of this conversation to the coffeehouse.  

 

I didn't take the conversation there. I was responding to someone who talked about those things. I just said this building is nice and should be the direction Charlotte goes to have more of a staple or interest...but whatever you say,. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, j-man said:

I agree. I didnt want to say all that but they took me there in the comments. lol But on the other hand there are inland cities with no vacation appeal that are desired for travel like Atlanta, Memphis, and even Dallas that people want to visit. 

Atlanta and Dallas are top 10 metro areas in the USA, with  2 - 3 times more people than Charlotte (which isn't a top 20 metro area), so they are going to attract more visitors due to sheer size. Memphis has a unique niche with tourism due to music, and they are lucky they have it because the city is under performing economically and has some severe crime / poverty problems that are also known nationwide. Charlotte can't really magically come up with a tourism niche if it hasn't organically happened... otherwise everybody sees through it as fake. Hence we don't have a huge tourism niche. Memphis organically developed as a start up hub for rock n' roll and blues.... if they labeled themselves as "City of Rock N' Roll" before the rock n' roll happened... it would have been like Greensboro calling themselves "Cosmopolitan Shopping Hub of the South." It ain't true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

Atlanta and Dallas are top 10 metro areas in the USA, with  2 - 3 times more people than Charlotte (which isn't a top 20 metro area), so they are going to attract more visitors due to sheer size. Memphis has a unique niche with tourism due to music, and they are lucky they have it because the city is under performing economically and has some severe crime / poverty problems that are also known nationwide. Charlotte can't really magically come up with a tourism niche if it hasn't organically happened... otherwise everybody sees through it as fake. Hence we don't have a huge tourism niche. Memphis organically developed as a start up hub for rock n' roll and blues.... if they labeled themselves as "City of Rock N' Roll" before the rock n' roll happened... it would have been like Greensboro calling themselves "Cosmopolitan Shopping Hub of the South." It ain't true.

And that is my entire point. Im actually agreeing with you. Charlotte just has to continue with consistant growth with buildings like this and  they it wiil add appeal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, j-man said:

Charlotte was founded in the 1700s tho. Thats plenty of time to have character by now....Myrtle Beach was established only 82 yeaars ago and has a sense of place.

I agree with those things but none of that has to do with my initial point. Sure its affordable, good jobs, and has all 4 seasons.... its THE typical average  American city. Im talkinig about attractions people actually travel across country or even the world to see or want to go to.  I get it "Charlotte is still growing"

  I guess I would rather live in a city that is livable and great to live in versus a tourist magnet.  There are plenty of places worldwide that are huge tourist cities but not places  you would want to live necessarily.   We will never probably be in the category of cities you are talking about but I am not sure what American cities would qualify outside of the top 5 or 6.  

Well this whole conservation and debate should be moved to the 1000 Room convention hotel based on what I am hearing should be renamed 100 room motel thread LOL!

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

  I guess I would rather live in a city that is livable and great to live in versus a tourist magnet.  There are plenty of places worldwide that are huge tourist cities but not places  you would want to live necessarily. 

Speaking of which, Venice, which is overwhelmed by tourists who hugely outnumber residents, is about to impose a tax on people who visit but don't spend the night (cruise ship visitors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.