Dimensional Place (Common Market South End site)

Spartan

28 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Happy with it? Doubtful. Resigned shrug? More likely. This is just par for the course in Charlotte.

If you are unhappy with the project then why didn't you show up? I live in Wilmore and every neighbor I talked to is happy with the changes they made. Sucks losing CM but it's already been replaced by Craft, Bulldog, etc.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Looks like it doesn't matter since everyone is now happy with this project.

That doesn't answer the question. I've had numerous people still complain to me about this project. We changed it once with public outcry, it can be done. Bottom line is if people didn't go those people should just shut up because it's just empty words 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, go_vertical said:

What has happened to this forum? Spartan states his opinion that he doesn't hate it and doesn't like it. Sounds to me like he would rather have something better but it is what it is. In return he gets "why didn't you do more" and "you didn't answer the question". Is he getting interrogated? Maybe he doesn't hate it enough that he is losing sleep over it. I know I would rather see something better but the only time I ever think about it is when I see a new posting about it. Over on the first ward thread everyone that says the park that was delivered to the city is boring, uninspired, and bland gets called childish and pathetic. Did I accidentally type city-data in the browser? Why does everything have to be so damn black and white anymore? Are the people on this forum not allowed to have their own opinions anymore? I have been a member of these forums for over ten years now and I've never seen people behave like this until now. 

Yeah this thread took a weird turn. No worries though. As I've always said, and as is our policy here on UP, as long as you are respectful you can share any idea you want. If anyone has something to say to me personally then I always encourage them to PM me directly. This message board is a place to share ideas and opinions, and I certainly hope that everyone here feels welcome to share anything want, even if everyone else disagrees with it. 

As for this thread - I've apparently struck a nerve with some folks, so my apologies to everyone for not making it to out city council last Monday. IMO that shouldn't negate my opinion, but whatev's. 

Anyway..... This development is a positive for South End and Charlotte as a whole.  I look forward to seeing construction start on this.  Although it's not a perfect design, hopefully other developers will take note and develop buildings like this that actually engage street level activity, especially in South End. 

4 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Anyway..... This development is a positive for South End and Charlotte as a whole.  I look forward to seeing construction start on this.  Although it's not a perfect design, hopefully other developers will take note and develop buildings like this that actually engage street level activity, especially in South End. 

In my opinion, the most important thing about this project is that developers and companies now know that we have a voice. We have a voice and we will do what we can to make change and to improve things for the community at large. While we might not have gotten 100% what we want, we have opened up an outlet to improve future projects. Maybe the next project we manage to get our way!

56 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

In my opinion, the most important thing about this project is that developers and companies now know that we have a voice. We have a voice and we will do what we can to make change and to improve things for the community at large. While we might not have gotten 100% what we want, we have opened up an outlet to improve future projects. Maybe the next project we manage to get our way!

More to come on this, and I agree this is so very important. You guys would be amazed how much developers are starting to "fear" THOUGHTFUL backlash on bad projects.

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I hope this is right.  It make me sick to think what's going to happen at the DFA site primarily because of the loss of the interesting building stock there, but we have buildings similar to some of those elsewhere in the city, so their loss is not the end of the world.  On the other hand I am very concerned about the assemblage of buildings on W. Trade St. (Polk State, Builders, etc) that have, at least on paper, been slated for demolition.  Losing those buildings would truly be a devastating loss of prized early 20th century architecture.  I hope the entities that own those buildings have seen the backlash at DFA and will decide to renovate the buildings (or sell them to someone who will) rather than destroying them and replacing them with thoughtless projects such as a super block apartment or worse, parking.

So I would say that movement is afoot and UPers (or is it UPteers) will soon have a chance to put actual money where your mouths are.  Historic District Designation is being pursued by various community organizations around the city with the intent of preserving the unique buildings that we have left.  A "go fund me" type support campaign will likely accompany each to help out with rezoning fees and other administrative costs.  I would imagine that a link will be made available in or around this cyberspace that we currently occupy.  When this occurs, perhaps donations could be made in the name of UP in order to track our collective impact.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2015 at 3:42 PM, archiham04 said:

So I would say that movement is afoot and UPers (or is it UPteers) will soon have a chance to put actual money where your mouths are.  Historic District Designation is being pursued by various community organizations around the city with the intent of preserving the unique buildings that we have left.  A "go fund me" type support campaign will likely accompany each to help out with rezoning fees and other administrative costs.  I would imagine that a link will be made available in or around this cyberspace that we currently occupy.  When this occurs, perhaps donations could be made in the name of UP in order to track our collective impact.

Can you be more specific? There are pretty specific requirements for a historic district designation, none of which require rezonings or any costs (as opposed to applications to approve modifications to buildings within existing districts) to get. I like the idea of somehow preserving what's left.

In Charlotte the designation of a Local Historic District is done so through the rezoning process and treated legally as a zoning overlay district.  It's designation is subject to the standard minimum $3,600 rezoning fee (plus any associated consulting/administrative costs).  National Historic district also has an associated application fee.  I am not aware of any designations that are recognized by Athorities Having Jurisdiction that do not require a fee.  If you know of one please let me know.

I have always been under the impression that city staff initiates the process of designating a neighborhood as a city historic district.  It's a zoning designation, sure, but not one that I've ever seen a property owner apply for on their own.  

city staff is involved with the process and makes recommendations to council... and most likely can initiate a designation, but most designations start within the community.  Edwin Peacock for example often cites his successful effort to designate his street as a historic district, as one of his personal accomplishments.

• 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, Prodev said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/12/site-for-dimensional-fund-advisors-headquarters.html

Cousins & DFA closed on the land. They incorrectly reported the price and excluded one parcel, so the actual total price for the 2.3 acres is $12.15 million, which is $121 per foot!

It doesn't matter what Gaines Brown's artist/urban design friends say: he sold his property for the biggest retirement package possible. He knows why he sold it the way he did, and he is okay with it because he "put in his time" and earned it. He represents a 20th century mindset that has no place in the 21st century. I hope the razing of these buildings lights a fire, and I hope it burns through the old way of doing things with a quickness.

20 minutes ago, Prodev said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/12/site-for-dimensional-fund-advisors-headquarters.html

Cousins & DFA closed on the land. They incorrectly reported the price and excluded one parcel, so the actual total price for the 2.3 acres is $12.15 million, which is $121 per foot!

bye bye Southend, hello Uptown Extension. that kind of price is going to kill eveything around it.

Honestly though, if someone offered me $12m to sell my property I would probably do it too; unless I were financially in a position to where an extra $12m wouldn't be an impact on my life. Its ridiculous that South End can command a price like that.