Town Center North

vdogg

I don't think this is Sifen's project, I think it's just included in the marketing to help sell his property (much like how the Walmart & Block 11 are illustrated)  .  I believe there was an Inside Biz article about the office park.  If I come across it again I'll post it.

I don't think this is Sifen's project, I think it's just included in the marketing to help sell his property (much like how the Walmart & Block 11 are illustrated)  .  I believe there was an Inside Biz article about the office park.  If I come across it again I'll post it.

I remember many many years ago this was to be town center west. This is newer than that and has a different design but you may be right. He probably just threw this out there to make that mess he's putting in across the street more palatable. According to a post in the marketplace thread this may be a moot issue anyway.

Edited by vdogg

I've been checking this listing periodically for a couple of years and it doesn't change much.  The new building has had a LOI supposedly for a couple of years but with no actual action.  The designs have been updated recently though and there are rumors of Wegmans attached to this site (with the rumors and updated designs occurring pretty close together).  I think this center was banking on the "lack of available big box availability in Town Center", but with everything going on at the mall and an ultimate redevelopment of the Kmart center, Town Center Marketplace hasn't panned out.

I tried (briefly) to find the article about the office park but to no avail.  I'll probably come across it in a month or two looking for something else...

I recall the owner being very open to tearing buildings down (not all) and going for dense,  mixed use development.  The type of stuff that creates a lot of excitement on this page.

No details yet, supposed to be phase 2 of Sifen's development across the street. Look at the image on page 11 on bottom left corner. Need to do some research to see how serious this is.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/FC620516-B481-4F6F-98C0-102F15193987.pdf

I know that a lot of VB city employees have been emptied out of "Pembroke 6" and the surrounding buildings as they are going to be torn down to make way for condos/apartments etc. 

I was driving by there today and thought it looked a bit empty. Personally I think they should get rid of the two low rise to the all the way to the west and clear everything to VB Blvd. Start TC North with few nice mid/high rise on the Blvd, and work your way in from there. Retail and residential closer to VB Blvd and business closer to the apartments. Have all public entrances face away from those apartments. It's not exactly a good neighborhood unfortunately.

hopefully pembroke 1 stays.  i like the slender the core, the way it comes outward and holds up the rest of the tower.

From the looks of the drawing, it's the only building that stays. Unfortunately it looks like it will be the second tallest building other than a new tower as well. 

Jackpot!  I was looking around google images for "Town Center North" and found unusual pictures focusing on the pembroke office park.  The text mirrors what was said from the old CMSS architects website about town center, but he four banners and multiple images per banner you can click through obviously show the North development.  Enjoy! 

It is interesting why they show their "history" and "vision" for the pembroke office park, but highlight their "reality" and "culture" for TC.  Weird.  You'll see what I mean when you visit their website.

http://www.saunderscrousearchitects.com/towncenter.html

Here they are for instant gratification:

towncenter_history-03.jpg

It looks like 3 Pembroke originals will be staying.

towncenter_community-02.jpg

Two more parcels are not rendered to the left up VB blvd from the tallest building.  They are shown in blue on the first pic though.

towncenter_community-01.jpg

Pembroke Station, huh?

towncenter_reality-02.jpg

Notice the curved street.  That's a bit funky!

Edited by metalman
Added info and commentary.
  • Like 1

Jackpot is right. I looked at the website for the architectural firm, and their project at Rockett's Landing looks to be a go (I live not too far away in downtown Richmond). This looks legit. Which is great. This has high density and features an urban street grid. Those funky curved streets? They're starting to be implemented in major cities as a way to reduce traffic speed 

I'm pumped right now.

I like it. It's got a Nova/DC feel, which seems to be a trend with the architecture creeping into some of the more recent projects. My only complaint, I wish they'd get rid of all the Pembroke buildings. Those things are dated and an eyesore. I'd rather see open space than have those things continue on. Also, I really wish this would go all the way up to Va. Beach Blvd.

I caught an employee walking out of Pembroke 6. She said originally it and Pembroke 3 were to be torn down but not now. Who knows for sure I guess... 

My mother worked there and said the same thing. I get the feeling their trying to get as much life out of those decrepit buildings as they can. If they truly want to keep them, those buildings need to be extensively renovated.

I think these buildings would look cool if they were renovated with all-glass or mostly exteriors. Both the inside and outside of these buildings look like they haven't been updated in 40 years, especially the stucco. I wouldn't mind keeping them to add to the density, but a makeover is sorely needed!

Found this on Google...this is in Iowa, but something like this definitely has a nice contemporary look that would compliment the other renderings.

And Village Inn must stay! :P

glass.jpg

Edited by BFG