Town Center North

vdogg

the property it sits on i believe.  has this ever been posted?  

http://wplsite.com/portfolio-items/pembroke-transportation-study/?portfolioID=3594

this looks to be the pembroke mall site as you can tell what looks like armada hoffler tower in the bottom right corner.

http://www.clarknexsen.com/go/project-types/commercial-municipal/  

the property it sits on i believe.  has this ever been posted?  

http://wplsite.com/portfolio-items/pembroke-transportation-study/?portfolioID=3594

this looks to be the pembroke mall site as you can tell what looks like armada hoffler tower in the bottom right corner.

http://www.clarknexsen.com/go/project-types/commercial-municipal/  

Nope, never been posted. That definitely looks like AH in the foreground. Don't know how realistic this plan is though. It's dated 2012. I'd love to see it come to fruition but the mall just got done with extensive (and has ongoing) renovations. Not seeing them investing all that money just to tear it down. This would've done wonders in helping the area feel like a cohesive downtown though.

• 2 years later...

Any updates on this?  The building at Broad & Independence was torn down earlier this year & Chick Fla A has been built on the site of the tallest proposed building. I came across some additional renderings with more details but nothing firm. 

Pembroke Station masterplan

• Mixed-use revitalization project.
  • 400 Residential units.
  • 200 Hotel units.
  • 3 Parking structures.
  • 750,000 SF planned office space.
  • 100,000 SF planned retail space.
  • Multiple courtyards and plazas.
  • Pedestrian areas for urban parks and pocket parks.

https://archinect.com/saunderscrousearchitects/project/pembroke-station-masterplan

18 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Also, I don't think Chick-fil-A is sitting where the tallest building sits. It's close to it but I don't think it's on the property itself.

Unfortunately it is. I'm at that Chartway a couple times a month. It and the old pawn shop are the two buildings on the corner & CFA is right next to them (like the tower in the design).   Assuming this is still happening, I'd focus on the NE portion as phase one since the building was demolished and the rest is surface parking.  

Wow.  They've added a lot more renderings since when I first found the site.  The vision just might be moving  along!  

Better than the market place across the street.

Did anyone notice Mona Lisa-like faces overlaying the windows on the tallest tower?  I wonder if that is actually part of the concept!

Edited by metalman
Addition

Just now, metalman said:

Wow.  They've added a lot more renderings since when I first found the site.  The vision just might be moving  along!  

Better than the market place across the street.

I just wish they could switch locations to create a nice fluid skyline. 

Hopefully Norfolk can follow suit and give HR a building boom.

Intriguing. Do we know how many owners/ownership groups are involved with the parcels w/in the subject area?  Have there been any transactions or consolidation lately?  Which ones do Sifen own? Have there been any plans filed with the city recently?  These are but some of the pertinent questions to which I have zero answers.   Trying to figure out how difficult this might be to pull off ...& anytime soon....

I like the basic premise here. The architecture isn't bad--quite appropriate for its location. I think, overall, it's a fairly modest stab at  re-development. Something I could actually see happening. Again, depending on property ownership and willingness, etc.

I read earlier in this thread that Sears owns the Village Inn property. Hmm. The way Sears has been hurting for cash, I can't believe that they haven't sold the land. Their rental ROI must be fantastic. 

Edited by baobabs727

Sears does not own the land for Village Inn (at least not anymore). It's owned by a trust out of CA. I'm going to do a little more research into the rest of the parcels. I suspect this is a vision that would happen if the investors saw enough demand/return but that hasn't happened.  The new CFA is a bad signal to me but I'm sure we'll see something happen eventually. 

Edited by 23320
  • Like 1

Everything on the site plan is owned by Pembroke Office LP, which is at least partially owned by Great Atlantic Property. They've been talking about building on this site for over 10 years…

The remaining parcels are owned by variety of entities but nothing that stood out. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Hyatt Place is very adaptable with their architecture. If its in the suburbs it looks like a suburban hotel if its in an urban/downtown setting it blends in to that look. It will be interesting to see what it looks like to get an idea of how Downtown VB is perceived. 

You sure were right. Here are but a few of the examples I located via Google.

IMG_2409.PNG

IMG_2410.PNG

IMG_2411.PNG

IMG_2412.PNG

IMG_2413.PNG

IMG_2414.PNG

IMG_2415.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

6?  Boo!  Now I'm imagining a squatty rectangle or something taking up enormous swaths of territory with acres of surface parking. Waiting for architectural rendering. Hopefully the architecture will be somewhat as good as the "better" ones above from around the country. I don't know. It's probably gonna look like a Holiday Garden Inn. 

OK, out of curiosity, I just googled "6 story Hyatt Place."  Totally different designs came up from the ones I had already posted above. So here they are. We might be able expect something as incredibly "beautiful" as these.  Yuck.

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.PNG

IMG_2557.JPG

Edited by baobabs727