Greenville Projects & Development Map

Spartan

• 4 months later...

Ok everyone, I've decided to go ahead and release this map. This thread will serve as the UrbanPlanet.org official development tracker for Greenville. You'll note that right now it's centered on Spartanburg... I made one for Spartanburg first because there is less over all development, I'm more familiar with it, and the amount of work needed to get it up and running was less daunting. My overall goal was and is to get one of these maps on each of the South Carolina subforums. I planned (back in October) to go through the Greenville forum and develop an up to date list of Greenville projects for y'all, but I quite frankly haven't had the time to deal with it (or Columbia's for that matter). 

My idea was to use Spartanburg as a template (which is, in turn, based on Charlotte's version of this map), but obviously to delete everything and make it all about Greenville. I think this is a very cool/useful tool to geographically track developments and link to the appropriate discussion threads. It will help lurkers and casual readers find the threads they are looking for and hopefully be something everyone can use. You'll see the way I have it organized is by color, but I listed each project individually, rather than by category, so that each individual project will show up in a defacto index when you view the map legend.

Anyone who is a registered user of UP can have edit permissions. You just need to let me know that you're interested to get it set up. Its a Google Maps based product, but I don't think you have to have Gmail as a prerequisite. I will retain access to it for moderation purposes but I will leave it in your capable hands to make updates. Obviously, UP staff will retain the right to boot people if they abuse their privileges.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

On 2/23/2016 at 8:56 PM, ausrutherford said:

Map appears blank for me...

What browser are you using? It should work with any browser, though IE may have some issues. It works with Chrome, Firefox, etc. If you continue to have issues, please let me know and we'll try to get it figured out.

Also, I changed the default view to Greenville. Sorry about that. The data will remain as Spartanburg until it's changed. 

29 minutes ago, Spartan said:

What browser are you using? It should work with any browser, though IE may have some issues. It works with Chrome, Firefox, etc. If you continue to have issues, please let me know and we'll try to get it figured out.

Also, I changed the default view to Greenville. Sorry about that. The data will remain as Spartanburg until it's changed. 

Im using Safari. 

The map in this article could be a good starting point for all of the planned hotels. I think there was a list floating around of all of the apartments/condos planned or under construction and then there are just a few other office/retail (Erwin Penland, corner of Falls Park Drive/Main St, etc).

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/study-downtown-convention-center-not-recommended-for-greenville/

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2016 at 10:38 PM, ausrutherford said:

Im using Safari. 

I asked our administrator and he said the only requirement is Java. My best advice is to tell you to make sure you have your browser software up-to-date and that you have java updated too. 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

http://gvltoday.6amcity.com/read-mayor-knoxs-white-letter-about-the-future-of-downtown/

I took the survey on rating the new buildings. Everyone will have a different opinion. Most buildings I'm ambivalent about, but I wish the survey had negative stars for the Link Apartments building (Rhett and River Streets). I get depressed every time I have see it driving down Augusta Street into downtown. It's bad now, and I think it will only get worse with time. What were they thinking?

Otherwise, I'm glad the city is now pushing hard for 1st floor pedestrian use in all new construction. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FUgrad02 said:

http://gvltoday.6amcity.com/read-mayor-knoxs-white-letter-about-the-future-of-downtown/

I took the survey on rating the new buildings. Everyone will have a different opinion. Most buildings I'm ambivalent about, but I wish the survey had negative stars for the Link Apartments building (Rhett and River Streets). I get depressed every time I have see it driving down Augusta Street into downtown. It's bad now, and I think it will only get worse with time. What were they thinking?

Otherwise, I'm glad the city is now pushing hard for 1st floor pedestrian use in all new construction. 

I was very pleased with the related letter by Mayor Knox White.

The survey was interesting, although very limited in options.  For example, a building may be functionally well-designed, but it may also lack enduring aesthetic appeal.  The best rating I could offer was 4 stars for the Falls Park Place building.  My two least favorite buildings in the survey were the Greenville News building and the EP360 building (1 star each).

18 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

I was very pleased with the related letter by Mayor Knox White.

The survey was interesting, although very limited in options.  For example, a building may be functionally well-designed, but it may also lack enduring aesthetic appeal.  The best rating I could offer was 4 stars for the Falls Park Place building.  My two least favorite buildings in the survey were the Greenville News building and the EP360 building (1 star each).

Agreed. It was hard to separate my opinion of the architecture vs my opinion of the overall building/project. 

One thing I have noticed about the buildings being built next to the Church St bridge is that they all seem to be the exact height of the bridge itself. When you're driving on it, it feels like you are driving on the top of the buildings and all you see is the ugly flat tops.This would be a positive of removing the bridge I suppose. I rated the new appts there lower because you simply can't see them very well - they don't really fit in b/c of the bridge, or perhaps they weren't designed well considering the bridge.

I love the mayor's approach here though, get some feedback from the residents and look for ways to improve on all the good things going on! Kudos Knox!

Edited by distortedlogic

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Any savvy person willing to update the development map here? So much going in it would be an undertaking, but would be cool to follow. 

I second this. While I am willing, it's the savvy that I lack.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:12 PM, distortedlogic said:

Any savvy person willing to update the development map here? So much going in it would be an undertaking, but would be cool to follow. 

This map isn't as pretty, but the dots are more current for the higher profile projects.   Smaller ones aren't included.   http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/yFj  Zoom in to see more detail

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...