Greenville Projects & Development Map

Spartan

On 6/14/2019 at 9:24 AM, Den2Gvl said:

Drove by the Greek Orthodox church this morning in downtown and they had a big sign displayed for some construction that they'll be doing . I wasn't able to get a good look at it though. Anybody know what they're doing? 

I feel like that sign has been there for years...

• 6 months later...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, vicupstate said:

CityView Corners

Pretty big deal for this area which has been stagnate for years until Woodside Mil was redeveloped. City View was an incorporated town for many decades, but surrendered its charter in the late '90's I think.   

When I initially read this post, I attempted to look up more info on City View being incorporated as a town but that’s literally all the inform I could find. Do you know if it had its own city council/mayor, police force, etc? I’m just trying to figure out the extent of it being a “town.”

Edited by GVLover

5 hours ago, GVLover said:

When I initially read this post, I attempted to look up more info on City View being incorporated as a town but that’s literally all the inform I could find. Do you know if it had its own city council/mayor, police force, etc? I’m just trying to figure out the extent of it being a “town.”

There would have had to been a council and a mayor. There was no police force, fire department, water or sewer either.  It did provide street lights as I recall and probably some form of zoning perhaps. It was pretty small and low tax base for sure.  It may have been incorporated to prevent annexation by Greenville, albeit I doubt Greenville would have ever sought to annex it.  Some people can be irrational about that.   I'll see what info I can dig up. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Land Area:

various sources cite 2.5 or 3 Square Miles. In 1975, 18 acres were annexed into the town.

Population:

A 1978 article quoted the population as around 2,800 (probably from the 1970 census). The town lost 25% of its population between the 1970 and 1980 census. Population was estimated to be 1,490 at the time of the 1995 referendum.

Surprisingly lacking in population density compared to Greenville, even in the early days, and esp. considering it was apparently mostly made up of former mill villages (?).

Edited by Exile

10 hours ago, Exile said:

Surprisingly lacking in population density compared to Greenville, even in the early days, and esp. considering it was apparently mostly made up of former mill villages (?).

Just dividing the land area by the population does not give an accurate picture in this case.  The town was bisected by a big chuck of rail/power/industrial land. I would estimate it to be at least .75 of a square mile, maybe a full square mile. Obviously  no one lived in that part. The residential areas are as dense as you would expect a mill village to be. The Parker High School property was also fully within the town, so that would skew the number a bit as well.    

BTW, if Greenville HAD merged with City View, much of the new development around Hampton Station (all the apartments)  would now be in the city limits.  The part that wouldn't already be in the combined city would be contiguous.   

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It's been 7 minutes already and neither Gman430 nor Apladdin have  remarked that 'tower' in Greenville only means 5 stories. 

I posted about this in another thread. Didn’t even see it here unti now. :lol: Don’t forget about Distortedlogic. Better include him also. :D And you’re wrong. It’s only going to be four stories tall. Either that or it’s some sick April Fools joke by the DRB. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:32 AM, vicupstate said:

There would have had to been a council and a mayor. There was no police force, fire department, water or sewer either.  It did provide street lights as I recall and probably some form of zoning perhaps. It was pretty small and low tax base for sure.  It may have been incorporated to prevent annexation by Greenville, albeit I doubt Greenville would have ever sought to annex it.  Some people can be irrational about that.   I'll see what info I can dig up. 

Just came across this today.  It is an EXCELLENT primer on the history of City View and also the efforts by the county to revive the area.  Honestly, the city needs to just annex this whole area.  They have already annexed part of it and property taxes would be lower anyway.  Ideally, the city would seek to do a major revitalization that does not displace the people already living there. 

City View Community Plan

• Thanks 1