vicupstate

Residence Inn/ Spring Hill Suites - Washington And Spring

36 posts in this topic

HOPEFULLY they only use a portion of the site and dedicate some land for "future development". It seems too large of a site for this single use. Anyone have insight to offer?

HOPEFULLY they only use a portion of the site and dedicate some land for "future development". It seems too large of a site for this single use. Anyone have insight to offer?

Well I remember they wanted 300 rooms for the site. I assume two hotels means two buildings + 350-400 parking spots. 

Well I remember they wanted 300 rooms for the site. I assume two hotels means two buildings + 350-400 parking spots. 

Plus a restaurant and/or bar might be a possibility, which may have direct access to the street. There might also be street level storefronts 'carved out' of the hotel space along the street.  Hopefuly some or all of that is involved.    

Plus a restaurant and/or bar might be a possibility, which may have direct access to the street. There might also be street level storefronts 'carved out' of the hotel space along the street.  Hopefuly some or all of that is involved.    

Im sure there will be some of that considering what JHM has done with the Hyatt. 

How many stories will this development be?    Three hundred rooms plus 350-400 parking spaces is about the size of the Hyatt Regency.  The Hyatt's rooms require a seven story building.  I think the Hyatt has a bigger footprint just for the rooms.   Is this a 12 story or taller building?

Is Spring Street garage unusable? Are we guaranteed structured parking on this site? I don't imagine this to be very tall unless they choose creative stacking (and an unnecessary price tag associated). But this is all speculation at this point. 

Edited by GvilleSC

Is Spring Street garage unusable? Are we guaranteed structured parking on this site? I don't imagine this to be very tall unless they choose creative stacking (and an unnecessary price tag associated). But this is all speculation at this point. 

Spring St from what I have heard is pretty much filled due to Wells Fargo and others, so it would most likely need its own.

Id imagine an underground parking situation might have to come in. 

Residence Inn/ Spring Hill Suites

7 stories, 240 rooms, 

Plans call for a small, intimate bar with about 10-12 barstools and overflow seating at the corner of Spring and Washington streets and a 1,500 retail space will be available for lease at the corner of Irvine and Washington streets. A check-in/motor court area will front Washington Street.

Plans for the project will be reviewed at the Nov. 5 Design Review Board meeting. Meadors says JHM hopes to begin construction in the first quarter of 2016 with completion in the second quarter of 2017.

Seem like a good height for this area. I imagine there will be some facade tweaks asked of the developer. I wish it included more retail along Washington. 

It will be interesting to see what happens across the street with the Watson place.

Good height, slightly lower hotel room amount doesn't worry me. I would, however, like more retail/restaurant space.

Architecture will change...

Good height, slightly lower hotel room amount doesn't worry me. I would, however, like more retail/restaurant space.

Architecture will change...

Agreed. Retail and restaurant space is vital, imho.

RISHS_1-635x325.jpg

Nice to see another parking lot bite the dust!

1 person likes this

Nice to see another parking lot bite the dust!

I think the parking lot might look better.  This one takes the trendy horizontal/vertical banding to the extreme. Funny that the DRB finally also has concerns about this style now, stating that it is very similar to other buildings downtown, and will look dated in 15 to 20 years, something I keep thinking every time I see another one of these same designs.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/november-greenville-drb-urban-panel-meeting/

**crickets**

I've heard they put this on ice as they see what happens to the hotel market with all the new openings.

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

I've heard they put this on ice as they see what happens to the hotel market with all the new openings.

Seems really odd they would spend the money and go through the approval process just to put it on ice. Also, all of the current hotels proposed downtown were pretty much known when this one was being planned to my knowledge so it shouldn't have come as a surprise to JHM. 

Edited by gman430

JHM confirms this project is NOT on hold and is moving forward. 

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, gman430 said:

JHM confirms this project is NOT on hold and is moving forward. 

Great news....this will be a successful venture for them. This and the new courthouse will be great additions to this area of downtown!

Posted (edited)

Construction is imminent. Parking lot is now closed off to vehicles. 

Edited by gman430
1 person likes this

^^glad to hear it! This property is a great one to see being put to use!