Norfolk Mayoral Election

vdogg

Who do you think would be best for the city and why?  I'm interested to hear some opinions from Norfolk residents. I don't have a dog in this hunt as I'm a VB resident, but I do have interest in seeing Norfolk continue to develop into the city I know it can be. We don't normally do politics on this site except when it directly relates to urban development, I say this qualifies. Please keep it civil though.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norfolk resident here. I've read some solid answers from Sheriff McCabe and now Andy Protogyrou, and they have what appears to be a similar vision. I follow AltDaily pretty closely, and have read the reviews of McCabe and Protogyrou. I really like the latter's idea of working with the other cities starting on day one; I like the former's idea of more transparency.

As of right now, I'm mostly undecided. I'm looking for someone to be a game changer, but also listen to the residents' input. City Council dropped the ball with SPQ, Waterside 3.0 and the school board, and all of those stick in my craw. The NEON Festival last week really let me know how awesome this city could be in the next 5-10 (if not more) years, but it's going to take more than just the status quo to make it happen. I want to see this area become the next Charlotte or Atlanta...but that'll never happen if the status quo continues. 

I'd like to see a mayor invest more in the schools, the arts and technology, as well as focus on getting more Fortune 500 business. Overly depending on the military with all the defense cuts will hurt us in the long run.

Ex-Norfolk Resident (Born and raised), Now baltimorian... if that is a word.

I'm pretty much following BFG here. They have pretty much missed the ball on very important ventures in my opinion. I see things differently when it comes to how you fix schools and school systems.  I'm a believer pumping money into schools is a cover up from underlining problems that need to be addressed in a community that are a result of other things.  The Neon Festival and the creation of the arts district was big not only for Norfolk, but for the reason (we need culture up in this B****).  Its positive, i wish the city could support this more, but I'm a novice on the topic.  I would like to see the next mayor take care of house cleaning items, but really look to urbanize Norfolk's core. I think Norfolk and HR is a very unique area that can be grand, but we have been stagnant, lets just be honest.  Lost of the running for the brewery was a good indicator of the change needed to one, bring in culture and cultures, and two expand the likability of the city. The new mayor should have a clear vision that the residents can support. I'm not sure if what is currently out there supports the vision I have for Norfolk.  I will say Andy would be my choice today if it would happen tomorrow, i was hoping to see more candidates, but its more time for things to happen....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've become more and more interested in this race, to the point of where I've attended a forum. It's short notice, but there is a debate tonight at the Slover. I think Channel 13 may air it later this week.

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but if you're in Norfolk, please vote tomorrow. This is one of the biggest elections this city has seen in quite some time, and the future of this city rides on the outcome...

Kenny Alexander is Norfolk's first new mayor in 22 years. Mayor Fraim did a lot, but now it's time to see what the future brings for a growing city.

Without getting too political, I would've been okay with Protogyrou or McCabe winning, but I think Kenny is the perfect person to carry the torch.

3 minutes ago, BFG said:

Kenny Alexander is Norfolk's first new mayor in 22 years. Mayor Fraim did a lot, but now it's time to see what the future brings for a growing city.

Without getting too political, I would've been okay with Protogyrou or McCabe winning, but I think Kenny is the perfect person to carry the torch.

Same here. I prefered Protogyrou, yet none of the candidates repelled me. In my opinion, the differences between the candidates were minor ones.

Archived