skirby

"East Little Rock" until it is renamed

26 posts in this topic

On Friday Moses Tucker and Cromwell Architects announced a mixed use project for the area to be known as "East Little Rock" until a new name is made known. The development will included a 50,000 square foot warehouse located on 3.5 acres at 6th and Shall. Plans are to expand the building by 20,000 square feet and one third of the building will be the new headquarters for Cromwell. Plans call for retail, apartments and restaurants to be included in the remaining space. This building is located just south  of the recently announced eStem school and located a couple of blocks from the River Rail, if the AHTD doesn't remove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


This reminds a lot of the East Village in Tulsa. I was there for a little arts fest a couple summers back and it was really nice. I hope this can get off the ground. With the two breweries and distillery, this could be a really cool little area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a nod to East 6th as the defining street and to the breweries emerging in the area, how about calling it "The 6PAC" as shorthand for the 6th Street Production & Artisans Corridor?  The area's warehouse spaces could be particularly suited for production and retail space for specially-crafted goods, as well as sound recording studio space (with occasional public live performances) — both complementing nearby educational opportunities that emphasize skills necessary for business and community development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Friday Moses Tucker and Cromwell Architects announced a mixed use project for the area to be known as "East Little Rock" until a new name is made known. The development will included a 50,000 square foot warehouse located on 3.5 acres at 6th and Shall. Plans are to expand the building by 20,000 square feet and one third of the building will be the new headquarters for Cromwell. Plans call for retail, apartments and restaurants to be included in the remaining space. This building is located just south  of the recently announced eStem school and located a couple of blocks from the River Rail, if the AHTD doesn't remove it.

Included is the building containing Rock Town.

UfGW6d.jpg

Building to be HQ for Cromwell.

9z1vwc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plans for the HQ building include a restaurant facing Shall St. and 20 loft apartments on the 2nd floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody know what will happen to Rocktown Distillery, if anything, as a result of this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette about this development. No name has been chosen yet so I will call it "East Rock" until one is picked. MT says in the article that two restaurants and three commercial tenants   are considering the development.

Shall Street side:

6y9y1l.jpg

Rendering by Cromwell

ZYVjes.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2015 at 3:31 PM, skirby said:

Plans for the HQ building include a restaurant facing Shall St. and 20 loft apartments on the 2nd floor. 

There is a possibility that another restaurant will be added to the Cromwell HQ's project. Also, an addition building located at 1212 E 6th (21,800 SF) will be added to the development. About the development going on one of the owners of Lost Forty remarked  they wouldn't mind that another  four or five breweries open up around their location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Local architect Tom Fennell is presenting his plan for Interstate 30 tonight. Details about the plan are published here. http://m.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/02/23/the-fennell-plan-to-convert-i-30-hear-about-it-tonight

I think this is currently the most important issue downtown and I hope the right decisions are made for the future of the city. 

This plan would improve connections and aesthetics with plans to be able to convert to a boulevard in the distant future. Meanwhile, Lost Forty seems to be thriving and I can't wait for Rebel Kettle to open next door. This area does feel cut off from the River Market though due to the interstate.

Edited by Heartland25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Heartland25 said:

Local architect Tom Fennell is presenting his plan for Interstate 30 tonight. Details about the plan are published here. http://m.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/02/23/the-fennell-plan-to-convert-i-30-hear-about-it-tonight

I think this is currently the most important issue downtown and I hope the right decisions are made for the future of the city. 

This plan would improve connections and aesthetics with plans to be able to convert to a boulevard in the distant future. Meanwhile, Lost Forty seems to be thriving and I can't wait for Rebel Kettle to open next door. This area does feel cut off from the River Market though due to the interstate.

Practically any alternative to the Highway Department's 10 lane monster is preferable. The notion that the white flighters' driving time from Cabot and Saline County is more important than the continued redevelopment of central and east Little Rock, is ridiculous. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LRU1967 said:

Practically any alternative to the Highway Department's 10 lane monster is preferable. The notion that the white flighters' driving time from Cabot and Saline County is more important than the continued redevelopment of central and east Little Rock, is ridiculous. 

Agreed.  But let's be honest...while I like the "boulevard" proposal, but it was idealistic at best....  I don't belittle anyone for envisioning the a perfect scenario, but that was never, ever going to happen.  I'd feel stronger about it if there WERE no freeway and one was proposed, but the freeway is already there.  The proposed improvements most definitely need to be reviewed and refined, especially as it relates to mitigating further "division" to the east and west side, but pretending like everybody is suddenly going to jump on their bikes and public buses to get to work is entirely preposterous in a southern U.S. city that lacks the density and hassle to drive public transportation.  It's simply too easy to get around by car in greater Little Rock.  I wish it were more dense and mixed in use, and maybe in one hundred years, it will prove differently, but solutions need to be dipped in a coat of ideal, but grounded in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Architect said:

Agreed.  But let's be honest...while I like the "boulevard" proposal, but it was idealistic at best....  I don't belittle anyone for envisioning the a perfect scenario, but that was never, ever going to happen.  I'd feel stronger about it if there WERE no freeway and one was proposed, but the freeway is already there.  The proposed improvements most definitely need to be reviewed and refined, especially as it relates to mitigating further "division" to the east and west side, but pretending like everybody is suddenly going to jump on their bikes and public buses to get to work is entirely preposterous in a southern U.S. city that lacks the density and hassle to drive public transportation.  It's simply too easy to get around by car in greater Little Rock.  I wish it were more dense and mixed in use, and maybe in one hundred years, it will prove differently, but solutions need to be dipped in a coat of ideal, but grounded in reality.

I can't disagree with what you say.  But looking back at the horrible mistakes Little Rock has made, I'm afraid the 10 lane freeway will be one we regret. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LRU1967 said:

I can't disagree with what you say.  But looking back at the horrible mistakes Little Rock has made, I'm afraid the 10 lane freeway will be one we regret. 

Could be...I'm not a proponent of it being 10 lane, but certainly that corridor could be improved.  I just hope they're looking to make the right improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Architect said:

Could be...I'm not a proponent of it being 10 lane, but certainly that corridor could be improved.  I just hope they're looking to make the right improvements!

I think the idea of keeping a large section below grade and building a deck over park type area to reconnect east and west is a good alternative. The main issue really isn't the interstate itself but the awful exit and on ramps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Smith said:

I think the idea of keeping a large section below grade and building a deck over park type area to reconnect east and west is a good alternative. The main issue really isn't the interstate itself but the awful exit and on ramps.

Agreed, something similar to Kylde Warren Park in Dallas. The current elevated freeway is very ugly and noisy and the exit and on ramps are silly.

I just want the city to have a say in what gets built through downtown.  AHTD  seems to have no interest in considering different/better proposals so hopefully it gets brought to court.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2015 at 10:22 AM, skirby said:

On Friday Moses Tucker and Cromwell Architects announced a mixed use project for the area to be known as "East Little Rock" until a new name is made known. The development will included a 50,000 square foot warehouse located on 3.5 acres at 6th and Shall. Plans are to expand the building by 20,000 square feet and one third of the building will be the new headquarters for Cromwell. Plans call for retail, apartments and restaurants to be included in the remaining space. This building is located just south  of the recently announced eStem school and located a couple of blocks from the River Rail, if the AHTD doesn't remove it.

The powers who make up the Downtown Little Rock Partnership have announced the area of "East Little Rock" will be known as "East Village".  I think "East Rock" would have been a better name because "East Village" signifies what? I don't think anyone would see the area as being a village in any form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, skirby said:

The powers who make up the Downtown Little Rock Partnership have announced the area of "East Little Rock" will be known as "East Village".  I think "East Rock" would have been a better name because "East Village" signifies what? I don't think anyone would see the area as being a village in any form.

Perhaps the intent of the name wasn't so much about how the area is viewed currently, but how it may be transformed and what it could be in the future.  Admittedly, I may be reaching a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2015 at 9:48 AM, Smith said:

This reminds a lot of the East Village in Tulsa. I was there for a little arts fest a couple summers back and it was really nice. I hope this can get off the ground. With the two breweries and distillery, this could be a really cool little area.

 

On 3/10/2016 at 3:21 PM, skirby said:

The powers who make up the Downtown Little Rock Partnership have announced the area of "East Little Rock" will be known as "East Village".  I think "East Rock" would have been a better name because "East Village" signifies what? I don't think anyone would see the area as being a village in any form.

Maybe they read my comment from last October and liked the name? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cromwell has purchased an addition building located at 1212 East 6th, next to Rock Town, for further development. This building is a former 22,000 square foot warehouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EStem Public Charter Schools has purchased the warehouse across the street from Heifer International and should start work on the building soon. Just down Shall Street Cromwell should start on their HQ project in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it has a long way to go but I have high hopes for this area. Not too high, it is Little Rock and I have seen their track record of wasting potential. But it would be amazing if it could turn into (on a smaller scale of course) something like Columbus, Ohio's Brewery District or Denver's LoDo. Much more likely, LR can look to Tulsa's East Village and Blue Dome District for some inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been announced that Rock Town Distillery will be relocating to 1616 E. Capital. They will be constructing a 16,000 square foot building to house their operations and  is a few blocks from their current location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised by that with as well as Rock Town has been doing, wonder what will happen to the old location. I am also hoping maybe they can get this area to grow and become something major but lets not forget its surrounded by some rather low level housing areas which could impact anything beyond small scale development.

 

-R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2016 at 3:21 PM, skirby said:

The powers who make up the Downtown Little Rock Partnership have announced the area of "East Little Rock" will be known as "East Village".  I think "East Rock" would have been a better name because "East Village" signifies what? I don't think anyone would see the area as being a village in any form.

Maybe we can get this thread renamed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.