Pro Basketball Returns to Greensboro

AlmaPinnix

Professional Basketball Returns to Greensboro

CLICK HERE for the news on the Charlotte Hornets choosing to bring their D-League team to Greensboro…

Greensboro hosted professional basketball when the Carolina Cougars of the ABA played here back in the 70’s and we had a team in the Global Basketball League, with the Greensboro City Gaters at the Greensboro Coliseum, back in the early 90’s….Cougars with Jim Gardner, Ted Munchack and others among the owners, Greensboro Gaters with Joe Moore family in ownership and the Hornets with Michael Jordan in owner’s box….

Fred Whitfield, the CEO for the Charlotte Hornets, has a chance to bring the NBA D-League team back to his old home town….Maybe we will see some P.J. Hairston appearances with the Greensboro team, coming in on loan from the Charlotte Hornets….

Just picked up on this link and CLICK HERE for Jeff Mills from the News and Record on the NBA D-League coming to Greensboro….

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's cool for Greensboro (and the Triad area in general) to finally get a "one step away from the bigs" minor league team. Attendance in the D-League seems to hover at around 2500-3000 people per game. Some markets draw around 5K. A couple teams play in what amount to empty gyms with capacities in the hundreds.

I'm not a huge pro-basketball fan, but as someone who is a likely future resident of the Triad (currently in Va Beach), I think I'll partake in a Swarm game or two. For those more familiar with the pavilion, is there any chance for increasing capacity beyond 2500?

On 1/20/2016 at 3:57 PM, HRVT said:

It's cool for Greensboro (and the Triad area in general) to finally get a "one step away from the bigs" minor league team. Attendance in the D-League seems to hover at around 2500-3000 people per game. Some markets draw around 5K. A couple teams play in what amount to empty gyms with capacities in the hundreds.

I'm not a huge pro-basketball fan, but as someone who is a likely future resident of the Triad (currently in Va Beach), I think I'll partake in a Swarm game or two. For those more familiar with the pavilion, is there any chance for increasing capacity beyond 2500?

I'm sure they are redesigning the pavilion for a larger configuration in the future. I think as far as attendance goes, the team should do quite well. Greensboro is one of the larger markets in the  d league and this is basketball country.

• 1 year later...

22491464_496818784014350_388650678676738

170114_header_harrison.jpg?itok=oI7XgcgS

Fieldhouse-interior-2-78cf26bec5.png

Charlotte's NBA affiliate the Greensboro Swarm game to be nationally televised tonight on ESPNU at the field house at the Greensboro Coliseum. 

Pretty cool that this is airing on national tv! The NBA G league is like the AAA of minor league basketball

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/11/30/swarm-to-debut-sponsor-logo-in-tv-game.html

24255132_515245312171697_758891923230083

Archived