Hyatt Place Hotel-Broad and Calvin

SVL

I just saw the UBJ article. I kinda liked it before. But now I don't. Here's why. The motor court pass through makes the the building seem off balance. Why not move the building back a little to have that drop off location for guest. I know that rendering is preliminary, but this building as is will not make it. I'll have to see the site plan for it. 

And GvilleSC I do agree with you on a new Broad Street streetscape. It really do have a disjointed feel to it right now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
9 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

The original is pretty ugly, but ANYTHING, and I mean a freakin mini- Landmark building, would look better than Aloft and the DRB approved that one. Not sure why they would ask for changes on this one.

My problem is not the architecture, but the orientation. I don't see retail, the front door should be at the corner, etc.

4 hours ago, gman said:

Me too. It's has a great modern look, fitting in well with that area.

Well I wish I could see the beauty in it, but I just can't. To me it has no imagination, no character, and no soul. It looks like an ugly municipal jail that they ran out of money for. A five year old could have drawn up a cooler looking building. If that's the modern, then give me the past any day! Further, I don't think it fits in with the area at all, it stands out like an albatross. If only it fit in with the area, it would be more attractive. :blink:Just my opinion, not saying I'm right, just sayin. 

This Hyatt place, while pretty uninspired, leaves the Aloft in the dust. :ph34r:

I have mixed views.  The building that's being torn down is bad.  I think that it was an '80s re-do of an older building; I vaguely remember when it was built.

However, are we sure that there is no hotel room bubble downtown?  The typical drivers of hotel room demand (I'd guess)-- tourist and business events and office space-- don't seem to be growing as quickly as the number of hotel rooms.

The 2010s architectural style will be terribly dated in 20 years, too.  It'd be better to just copy older and timeless styles of architecture, such as neo-Renaissance, colonial or the like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Skyliner said:

I'd love to see no fewer than 5 tower cranes operating simultaneously in downtown Greenville.  Asheville is currently experiencing a significant construction boom and the tower cranes are a nice addition to the downtown skyline.

Charleston too. Check the pic out at the top of this article: http://www.postandcourier.com/opinion/commentary/opinion-time-to-draw-a-red-line-on-rampant-development/article_7462d20c-2145-11e7-8ac2-1b99bda61b2c.html We should have three or four up at once within the next few months. 

Edited by gman430