Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brickhead

Incredible photos of Richmond

16 posts in this topic

Scenic Virginia Photography

This site by Ted Backherms contains some of the finest, most artistic photographs I have ever seen of Richmond. There are tons of pics of the skyline, the James River, Canal Walk, Shockoe Slip, Hollywood Cemetery, panoramas, and many other Richmond locations. Click on the link and enjoy Richmond like you've never seen it before. Very impressive.

2002-1214_164754_1d_std.jpg

2003-0905_164955_8622_1d_std.jpg

2002-1214_151236_1d_std.jpg

Great pics. Richmond is underrated. I had no idea the city was like that...and that is sad, considering I lived in the area for a time!

Richmond has always had one of the best skylines on the east coast...to me.

Its one of those deceptive cities. You would think Richmond is much larger then what it actually is. The skyline, itself, would make you think that the city is about 350,000 to 400,000 in population .

I agree with PompeyJohnson... Richmond's skyline can deceive you about the true size of the city (not that Richmond is small), and it represents one of the nicest skylines, in my opinion. Every time I drove by Richmond I allowed time to stare at its skyline, especially around Christmas. There is a wealth of nice shots of Richmond on the Internet, but it seems to be "well hidden".

Great post!!!

You know, I think y'all are right. Richmond's skyline can be deceptive. The city itself is just under 200,000, but the greater metro area is about 1.1 million. Downtown Richmond has the usual assortment of business offices and city government, but it also has the state government, several federal offices and courts, the Medical College of Virginia, and nearby is Virginia Commonwealth University and Virginia Union University. There's a lot of stuff packed in DT Richmond, but there's always room for more!

Brickhead, I agree with you 100%. I hate to use the word "deceptive" about Richmond because there is a lot more to do there than most places I've been to. The metro area is large enough to justify the skyline, although the city's population isn't. Anyway, I am really happy for Richmond and I wouldn't mind to see similar "deceptive" image for NC cities, too :)

:D

Well, happening upon this thread has just made my day! Thanks for all the encouragement and comments!

Richmond looks bigger from this angle (from top of DMV HQ):

2003_1022_e_std.jpg

Ted Backherms

There are some really cool looking historic buildings in those photos. Thanks for sharing!

That's definate a great angle! I've seen one with the Richmond skyline in the distance that blew me away, it was my an Interstate but I don't have a copy of it and I haven't been able to find it again.

For some reason Virginia cities dont get the attention they deserve. They certainly deserve alot of attention.

Anyone noticed that in the newest GEICO commercial with the white van traveling through a city? That city is Richmond, and the commercial also makes it look rather large.