TPAC Tower Condemned|Implosion or Rehab|2018

Paramount747

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they replace TPAC, I hope they find a way to go with something similar to the Schemerhorn.

That would be the ideal, I would hope that Schermerhorn has set a standard. I fear that it won't happen for the simple reason that performing arts theaters tend to be more avant garde, rejecting classicism.

Imagine though a large classically designed theater on the Bicentennial Mall along with the new museum and library...it'd be an awesome sight.

That would be the ideal, I would hope that Schermerhorn has set a standard. I fear that it won't happen for the simple reason that performing arts theaters tend to be more avant garde, rejecting classicism.

Imagine though a large classically designed theater on the Bicentennial Mall along with the new museum and library...it'd be an awesome sight.

It's been said at least once ago.  Let alone on the Mall, just Imagine even on a somewhat smaller scale, a repurposed and adapted Tennessee Theater, had the old Warner (Sudekum) Bldg, not been leveled for the present day Cumberland.  It then could have been like an Orpheum and remained in common proximity to a now re-burgeoning district, close to the convention center and to "midway".  Not trying to beat a dead horse on what could have been and obviously is beyond realistic reach.  I guess it was the circumstantial "progressivism" of a quarter century ago which lead to the forgoing of what less fortunate cities (compared to Nashville) ended up preserving by their default of having little or no investment initiatives (before balancing preservation with sensible growth became an issue).

-==-

They could go for something like here in Dallas with the AT&T Performing Arts Center, one of the anchors of the Arts District. 

ATT-051-800x528.jpg

We can agree there is probably little chance of the tower being rebuilt. It will be rehabilitated and most like additional engineering done to make it stand another 35 years. What is needed is a facade update at the street level instead of a blank wall. It would be nice to see some residential somewhere there as well. I was hoping for some residential somewhere on Union Street.

I am not very impressed with TPAC. Paducah, KY, has a much more impressive (although smaller) venue than Nashville does for large productions.  It may be serviceable in the sense that it can host large productions, but it isn't awe-inspiring or modern. That being said, I would probably choose some other things to invest in before I invested in a performing arts center to replace TPAC. 

The Carson Center is only 10 years old. Yes, it is very impressive. The Nashville Symphony has played there before. 

It's been said at least once ago.  Let alone on the Mall, just Imagine even on a somewhat smaller scale, a repurposed and adapted Tennessee Theater, had the old Warner (Sudekum) Bldg, not been leveled for the present day Cumberland.  It then could have been like an Orpheum and remained in common proximity to a now re-burgeoning district, close to the convention center and to "midway".  Not trying to beat a dead horse on what could have been and obviously is beyond realistic reach.  I guess it was the circumstantial "progressivism" of a quarter century ago which lead to the forgoing of what less fortunate cities (compared to Nashville) ended up preserving by their default of having little or no investment initiatives (before balancing preservation with sensible growth became an issue).

-==-

What could have been, Rookzie. It was gone before I even knew about it, but from pictures it was a tragic loss. When you consider all the vast swaths of surface parking at the time... all possible sites that Giarratana could have built his apartment tower... it's even more of a senseless loss. That building looked like an art deco gem, and as were all commercial buildings at the time, it was built to last a long time. 

Archived