Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

• 2 weeks later...

Used a new wide angle lens that I got recently. A bit fish-eyed but not bad. :)

38162696396_198d22a79a_b.jpg

26442057529_93b1d251a6_b.jpg

38162697976_8e336b5289_b.jpg

This is one big-ass crane. The picture doesn't do it justice compared to standing 20 feet from it.

26442058589_cd5d97c12d_h.jpg

26442059969_143c888ba8_h.jpg

As I mentioned in my phone post, the BA cranes gets really close to the Waters Building when it rotates to put the next section on the tower crane base. I'm talking maybe 36 inches. Someone used some mad math skills in figuring out how to logistically do all of this. 

26442052319_f602ff1844_h.jpg 

I had to go to a meeting but then went back through downtown on I196 coming from the West Side. You could definitely see the crane from 196 and it wasn't even close to being topped out yet. 

• Like 1

Crane is topping off just now.  The cab is being mounted on the pivot right now, and will go up next.  So if you see it heading home tonight, it will be at full height.

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Yep. I’m stuck in traffic. Four cranes to assemble one. :)

Correction. 5 cranes. Crane lovers need to get down here. :)

Yeah.  I've got nine or ten cranes I can see right now from my window.  Lotsa cranes.

23 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

The cab is barely above the roofline of the courthouse.  So I now guess it's going to be shorter than the courthouse.  Unless they add to the crane later? 

I thought the same thing. I was expecting the crane to be taller based on what had been speculated on the height of the building compared to the Courthouse. 

Will they keep this crane onsite for the Hyatt development as well?

Joe

56 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I thought the same thing. I was expecting the crane to be taller based on what had been speculated on the height of the building compared to the Courthouse. 

Will they keep this crane onsite for the Hyatt development as well?

Joe

Are the towers not being built simultaneously?

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Maybe they are. For some reason, I thought Warner Tower was getting a significant jump on the Hyatt Place building, but maybe I just made it up. :)

Joe

From their release:

Orion will begin site work and underground utilities immediately. The footings, foundation and parking decks will be poured first, followed by the installation of a 22-story tower crane which will remain for the duration of the project.

The Hyatt Place hotel footprint will serve as a staging area for the office building steel equipment. Construction will begin on the hotel once the steel is in place on the office building.

https://www.wnj.com/News-and-Events/News/Orion-Breaks-Ground-On-Two-Tower-Development-in-He

It's hard to say for sure but I don't think the tower crane as it sits today is to the 22 floor level yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

From their release:

It's hard to say for sure but I don't think the tower crane as it sits today is to the 22 floor level yet. 

It depends on how they define how tall a 22 story crane is.   The person who wrote the quote likely had little technical concept of these things.  A modern 22 floor building  can be anywhere from 250-400ft these days.  I heard it mentioned that the crane was barely taller than the courthouse.  The courthouse is 206ft tall so if the boom is above the courthouse even a little bit it may be around 220ft which if you devide by 10 would equate to the laymans definition of 22 stories.   It very well may be topped out.

10 hours ago, MJLO said:

It depends on how they define how tall a 22 story crane is.   The person who wrote the quote likely had little technical concept of these things.  A modern 22 floor building  can be anywhere from 250-400ft these days.  I heard it mentioned that the crane was barely taller than the courthouse.  The courthouse is 206ft tall so if the boom is above the courthouse even a little bit it may be around 220ft which if you devide by 10 would equate to the laymans definition of 22 stories.   It very well may be topped out.

So it might turn out that the office tower portion is right around the same height as the courthouse? That'd be a bummer. Although it is only 15 stories tall and even if they do pretty healthy ceiling heights of 12' + a two-story lobby and that would put it right around 200'. 

Based on this it's right around 180' + the mechanical penthouse.  But these are from early 2016 so I don't know if another floor was added. This only shows 14 floors by my count. 

26543272172_dfbb5631a6_o.jpg

31 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

So it might turn out that the office tower portion is right around the same height as the courthouse? That'd be a bummer. Although it is only 15 stories tall and even if they do pretty healthy ceiling heights of 12' + a two-story lobby and that would put it right around 200'. 

Based on this it's right around 180' + the mechanical penthouse.  But these are from early 2016 so I don't know if another floor was added. This only shows 14 floors by my count. 

Yes, those are old documents.  It's my understanding that Warner Tower is 15 stories tall, and will be about 200 feet, just shy of the 206 foot tall courthouse.   This building will not be dominant in the skyline, but the 2 tower project will add much needed infill, street presence, and activity to CBD.  

34 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Yes, those are old documents.  It's my understanding that Warner Tower is 15 stories tall, and will be about 200 feet, just shy of the 206 foot tall courthouse.   This building will not be dominant in the skyline, but the 2 tower project will add much needed infill, street presence, and activity to CBD.  

That sounds about right, from my recollections of plans unveiled this year. I agree, it's going to totally change the feel of the CBD, to the point that after it opens, we won't be able to remember it being a big surface parking lot. 

57 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

That sounds about right, from my recollections of plans unveiled this year. I agree, it's going to totally change the feel of the CBD, to the point that after it opens, we won't be able to remember it being a big surface parking lot. 

I was driving east on 196 yesterday and was a little disappointed that the building won't stick out from a height perspective, but it will add a lot as far as infill of the cityscape.

Joe

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm excited about the hotel adding to a deadish area of downtown.