Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

11 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Not sure who owns the building that Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc. is in (maybe Downtown GR, Inc.?) but the new green paint looks pretty sharp. from the different pics, I've seen.  ^^^^^

Yeah we were down there walking around last weekend and were stunned that it kind of just happened without any fanfare but it looks amazing. Super sharp, updated, etc. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2018 at 4:08 PM, mpchicago said:

Not sure who owns the building that Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc. is in (maybe Downtown GR, Inc.?) but the new green paint looks pretty sharp. from the different pics, I've seen.  ^^^^^

The Federal Square Bldg and the Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. building are one building they we’re combined sometime around 1939 I think after the YMCA  moved out. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2018 at 4:08 PM, mpchicago said:

I saw them working on it.  I'm pretty sure that instead of repointing the brick first, they blew the whole thing full of caulk.  Whether that was a good idea, I suppose we'll find out in 30 years.  But that probably helps explain how they pulled it off so fast.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 5:28 PM, GRDadof3 said:

What more unfavorable news will hath befallen us. Agony!! 

By the end of the day, she'll finally be down to a decapitated tower, sans crane.  The last piece of the counterweight is about to make its way to the ground.  I can't believe how long it takes to pull one of these things back apart.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

Fun Fact:  Sears Roebuck and Co., filled that spot before moving to that massive (now demolished) store  at Woodland Mall 50 years ago this year.   

Fun Fact part deux: in olden times, it was occupied by Rathbun Block and Messmore Block on Monroe and Morey Block on Pearl. An alley separated them from Ledyard's Block, which still stands to this day as the Ledyard Building.

https://grpl.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16055coll17/id/11/rec/4

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZAP! said:

Fun Fact part deux: in olden times, it was occupied by Rathbun Block and Messmore Block on Monroe and Morey Block on Pearl. An alley separated them from Ledyard's Block, which still stands to this day as the Ledyard Building.

https://grpl.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16055coll17/id/11/rec/4

Wish we still has a street called Waterloo

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I noticed that the parking deck is fully screened now. At least you can't see the cars...

929592186_Warnertowerscreening.thumb.jpg.fa8a30e3b5c77886aa4a1c682b7b082a.jpg

You know....I don't hate it. I'm actually a fan of this development in a sea of rectangular metal boxes. It's no Lyon & Ottawa tower circa 2000, but it's not bad.

7 hours ago, GRLaker said:

You know....I don't hate it. I'm actually a fan of this development in a sea of rectangular metal boxes. It's no Lyon & Ottawa tower circa 2000, but it's not bad.

You know the bar is high when it's good because at least it isn't made of corrugated metal....  <_<

On 12/12/2018 at 9:02 AM, GRLaker said:

I don't think it's bad either. "Middle of the pack" architecturally speaking for me. It definitely could have used some better glass.