Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

13 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

It would be nice having taller buildings toward the center of downtown. Smaller buildings just get blocked behind the big three (Amway, Marriott and Plaza Towers). The skyline would really improve with more density behind the three.

They'll be essentially the same height as the Kent County Courthouse, give or take a bit smaller. So yes, from the hill over by JBZoo they won't stand out very much.

grand_rapids_skyline_by_ii_mccloud_ii-d3

Sort like this up close though. 

22487223618_e3d6c47f00_c.jpg

I just had higher hopes since it was right in the middle of downtown. With other areas already developed or being redeveloped, there are less chances of a taller buildings there. Now it seems like the parking lots near Van Andel Arena are the only remaining spaces but doing so would cover the view overlooking downtown going north on 131.

I guess we won't get anything like what was proposed before...

image.jpeg

I have strong mixed feelings on this. Obviously I was hopeful that there would be a striking change to the skyline, however the more I anticipate moving back to Grand Rapids from Chicago/Evanston the more I think about the things that I'll yearn for in GR. For me, the top of that list is a vital street-scape. If you've been to Evanston you'd note that there isn't much of a skyline to brag about. It's rather stubby and scattered. However, at street level there is energy and vibrancy. In a small downtown area you can feel lost among all of the businesses and mix of offices and residential. I guess all I am saying is that I resonate with the disappointment, yet I am extremely enthusiastic that this project, among many other downtown will continue to bring that vitality and vibrancy that so many of us are drawn to. 

30 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

I just had higher hopes since it was right in the middle of downtown. With other areas already developed or being redeveloped, there are less chances of a taller buildings there. Now it seems like the parking lots near Van Andel Arena are the only remaining spaces but doing so would cover the view overlooking downtown going north on 131.

I guess we won't get anything like what was proposed before...

image.jpeg

Wow, this rendering makes me really sad... lol.  -Would've been nice...

Does anyone know who owns the large surface lot between Ionia and Division?  (just NE of the Lyon/Ottawa site)

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

One of my favorite office buildings I've ever photographed is this one in DC. Speaks classic with modern touches. I'd take this at that corner any day. Taller too. :)

2438063966_c8dfd27434_o.jpg

funny you should mention DC. I think of DC as a good example of where it is ok to  be a city of mid-rises. I know they have taller buildings elsewhere, but DC proper seems pretty nicely balanced. 

I'm a huge fan of skyscrapers, but again, I'm not against what's being built right now. I think Arena Place and the Warner tower interact with the street level MUCH better than two of our tallest buildings- Riverhouse and Plaza Towers. 

Joe

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's a little more closeup of the retail level (ground floor). Joe's right in that regard. It will be interesting to see how that curved glass wall is executed. Could be pretty cool. 

If you click on it and then go to the bottom left, you can go to the Full Size image. 

26132824015_d8e4725f25_o.jpg

I like that there are 4 street level spots for rent as well as 2 lobbies. I think that'll make a pretty vibrant street level (and on all three sides). 

Joe

38 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Correct. At least the Southern half anyway. The other half is owned by an LLC. 

I would assume The VAI owns the other portion.  They bought the Catholic Information Ctr awhile back which included the northern portion of the lot.

Edited by ctpgr34

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I like that there are 4 street level spots for rent as well as 2 lobbies. I think that'll make a pretty vibrant street level (and on all three sides). 

Joe

Agreed. The 'densification' of this part of downtown is definitely a plus, especially with a hotel across the street in the Waters Building. Imagine walking out of your hotel there and having at least "something" there in the form of retail. 

I wonder if the coffee shop might have trouble being "embedded" in the building, with no street level frontage. I hate to pick the design apart too much because it's been a long time coming on this site. 

51 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Is there a time frame on this thing going up, or is it still somewhat of a "wait and see" kinda project?

I don't think this is wait and see. Warner has signed on and their lease is coming up in the next few years. I think it's just a matter of when they break ground, not if. 

Joe

99% sure this will happen.   Warner hasn't signed their lease yet, but I'm guessing they will.  Will break ground this fall.  The office portion is pretty impressive, residential is less so... similar to Arena Place. 

4 hours ago, urbanland said:

99% sure this will happen.   Warner hasn't signed their lease yet, but I'm guessing they will.  Will break ground this fall.  The office portion is pretty impressive, residential is less so... similar to Arena Place.

are you "in the know"?

11 hours ago, urbanland said:

That's exciting. Other than the issues with the parking levels, I like Arena Place. So if that is the "worst" part of the development, can't wait to see the office tower!

From what's been posted so far, it looks pretty disappointing.  Not that I'm terribly surprised with Orion involved in the project.  They seem to be in the business of building rather hideous residential projects.  I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm rather afraid this one will turn out as another pig-ugly monstrosity a la Arena Place.  I still like to believe this is just a ridiculously overly-complicated and expensive lease negotiation tactic... Wishful thinking, probably.

It appears there are 7 actual floors of office space, wonder how much of that is Warner, and how much of that is available to other tenants? 5 floors for Warner?  I suppose the office space could grow if more tenants signed leases.

I'm patiently waiting for a rendering of the office tower.....Apparently they aren't concerned or interested in marketing the tower for more tenants?  They are probably approaching prospects behind the scenes, unfortunately keeping us armchair architects in the dark. 

I am a little disappointed that the office tower is not taller, but before this project was announced I did say that I would be happy with a 10 story building that filled the entire site.  I agree, filling the site, and ground floor activity is most important.

I don't see 10,000 SF of ground floor space for a "grocery store."  Largest open section is just over 6,000 SF.   It's my understanding that 20 E Fulton still has 10,000 SF of retailer space.  I think that may be a better fit for a grocery anyway.  We will see.

I wonder if that's glass or metal panels covering the garage on the residential portion?  In the end, it will probably be louvered panels or nothing at all!

On 4/4/2016 at 9:36 AM, mpchicago said:

It appears there are 7 actual floors of office space, wonder how much of that is Warner, and how much of that is available to other tenants? 5 floors for Warner?  I suppose the office space could grow if more tenants signed leases.

Okay, I will answer my own question with regards to the space breakout.  As of the latest plans available to the public, it appears there are 5 floors for WNJ, one spec floor, and one designated for a bank.... Interesting.  I also noticed that the ground floor plan calls for a retail banking center.  They are obviously being very conservative/cautious about adding too much speculative space.  Again, more square footage can be added if they found other business to come on board.  Let's hope!

• Like 1

Surprised they are only doing one floor of unleased space. Hope they can find a few tenants to make it worth adding an additional 4-5 stories. Wonder if that changes the structure a ton (since they've already passed the 12th story threshold? 

Personally, it seems like Orion could sink the plans for 12 Weston and lure potential tenants into a larger Warner building. 

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Surprised they are only doing one floor of unleased space. Hope they can find a few tenants to make it worth adding an additional 4-5 stories. Wonder if that changes the structure a ton (since they've already passed the 12th story threshold? 

Personally, it seems like Orion could sink the plans for 12 Weston and lure potential tenants into a larger Warner building. 

Joe

12 Weston is kinda ugly anyways. I like this idea better.