Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

Bank of America finally realized that they were thinning out their presence in a growing market with a strong economy and finally created a regional president for Grand Rapids.  I am hoping this will translate into them moving offices back into the core and wanting their name on a signature piece of real estate.  I think CWD has a good portfolio for them to choose from.  :D

29 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Bank of America finally realized that they were thinning out their presence in a growing market with a strong economy and finally created a regional president for Grand Rapids.  I am hoping this will translate into them moving offices back into the core and wanting their name on a signature piece of real estate.  I think CWD has a good portfolio for them to choose from.  :D

Agreed. BOA sold a bunch of banks in Southwest Michigan to Old National (which is now making a big push into West Michigan). Then thinned out their West Michigan presence. Now they are back with a regional president saying they are going to focus on GR, including adding a dozen branches in the next year. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of announcement about a new office downtown soon. 

Seems like a big waste on someones part. Huntington took their space (and signage rights) recently. "Close it all down... oh, wait! Start it back up!"

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Agreed. BOA sold a bunch of banks in Southwest Michigan to Old National (which is now making a big push into West Michigan). Then thinned out their West Michigan presence. Now they are back with a regional president saying they are going to focus on GR, including adding a dozen branches in the next year. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of announcement about a new office downtown soon. 

Seems like a big waste on someones part. Huntington took their space (and signage rights) recently. "Close it all down... oh, wait! Start it back up!"

Joe

Banks aren't exactly known for their fiscal wisdom ;)

• Like 2

What Bank of America did makes no sense.  I cannot recall ever seeing a bank do what they did.  They basically ruined themselves.  They had one of the best ATM and branch networks, along a very robust commercial lending department, and reduced it to virtually nothing.  They basically told all of their customers they wanted nothing to do with them.  I doubt they will be welcomed back with open arms.  Good riddance.

3 hours ago, arcturus said:

Remember, this is the same B of A which bought Countryside Mtg.  We know how that went.

I was still in college living in Phoenix when that happened.  A good friend of mine was in middle management at Countrywide.  From what I remember  BofA buying Countrywide was somewhat of a government intervention thing.  I admit I was a little surprised when they started loosening ties with the region in 2014-15, as if it were 2009 and the area was considered no growth, and not worth being part of their acquisition.  Although in fairness to them they acquired access to the region through LaSalle Bank and predecessor Standard Federal.  Who did almost no investment or expansion of their presence.  Once Michigan National was acquired the banks based in larger markets paid no attention to W MI.  I would bet the network they inherited here was probably more neglected than healthy.  Perhaps because this all took place between 2001-2008 which was certainly not an era of great economic progress.

In terms of them vacating the Trust building, they usually prefer to have their offices in more high profile locations.  It will certainly be interesting to see how they end up "re-entering the market."

• 5 weeks later...

This thing sure has been a secretive project. Seems like anytime something this size or larger is in the works, the rendering hits every form of media in the area. This has been in the works for a long time and all we have is an elevation plan provided by GRDadof3 on this board. No renderings, nothing in the news...Very strange.

Edited by GRLaker

4 hours ago, GRLaker said:

This has thing sure has been a secretive project. Seems like anytime something this size or larger is in the works, the rendering hits every form of media in the area. This has been in the works for a long time and all we have is an elevation plan provided by GRDadof3 on this board. No renderings, nothing in the news...Very strange.

It is odd, but I'd still call it a "sure thing". Warner is moving, and 5/3 is taking up Warner's space. Both have been publicly announced. The secrecy is killing me, but I'm hoping they are waiting to reveal something awesome. :)

Joe

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It is odd, but I'd still call it a "sure thing". Warner is moving, and 5/3 is taking up Warner's space. Both have been publicly announced. The secrecy is killing me, but I'm hoping they are waiting to reveal something awesome. :)

Joe

7 floors of parking under 7 floors of office has me bracing for "Courthouse Place! Arena Place's cousin!!!".  If that is the case keep it a parking lot,  even if it takes 2 more decades something better than has to come along.

15 hours ago, MJLO said:

7 floors of parking under 7 floors of office has me bracing for "Courthouse Place! Arena Place's cousin!!!".  If that is the case keep it a parking lot,  even if it takes 2 more decades something better than has to come along.

The thought of it brings back nightmarish thoughts of the Genesee Towers.

DSCN8253.JPG

Edited by GRLaker

35 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Genessee Towers still at least didn't feel that cheap when they were used.  I don't admit my Flint origins often, but it was a decently kept building in the 80's as I remember it.

I don't doubt it was great at the time. But the style did not age well...at all. Compare that to what they were going to originally build at Lyon and Ottawa...That was a timeless look. 

Edited by GRLaker