Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that they still have the parking garage screening on the north side along Lyon, but not sure the material is different than first proposed. On the apartment side along Ottawa, it appears that the units now go all the way down to the 2nd floor, whereas before parking garage screening was floors 2 through 7, so that's an improvement.   Will the glass be the dark charcoal as depicted?   I hope not. -840e774943daaaaa.jpg

Edited by mpchicago

I think the Apartment side looks decent, the office side looks a bit bloated. With Ferris Coffee opening their cafe in the Trust building, If the last retail spot in the Waters building and the retail in this building get filled, it might actually re-invigorate the intersection of Pearl and Ottawa.

The "office lobby" (curved) entrance is ok. Nothing exciting and sort of out of date. The big vertical blank thing (with the W on top) sticking out of the side doesn't serve a purpose visually. Not sure what it is there for.

Otherwise 8/10. They got a good ground floor layout. No pedestrian dead spots. Complete infill

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The big vertical blank thing (with the W on top) sticking out of the side doesn't serve a purpose visually. Not sure what it is there for.

I know that the one on the apartment side is a fire escape/stairway.

Also, I'm doing a SketchUp as we speak. I have the office portion at about 200 feet with the utilities at the top giving it about another 10 feet.

I think I would end up singing the Star Wars "Imperial March" every time I go into WN&J's offices.  Just has a sinister feel to it.  The curved facade is a nice touch, and at least it seems like we might be breaking through the 12-story glass ceiling.

Still kinda wondering what is up CWD's sleeve for downtown office space.  If/when WN&J does move, they leave substantial vacancy at 5/3, with the completely vacant Calder Building and 50 Monroe (still expected to become a hotel??)

14 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

I know that the one on the apartment side is a fire escape/stairway.

Also, I'm doing a SketchUp as we speak. I have the office portion at about 200 feet with the utilities at the top giving it about another 10 feet.

So about the same height as the courthouse.  I am picturing it out my office window now...look forward to the SketchUP.

I like it. I think the renderings seem

a bit dark, but I think it will play off other buildings nicely. I agree, much better parking situation than the first apartment building showed. It's going to add a lot of vibrancy at the street level. Thumbs up. 

Joe

p.s. Great job on the quick sketchup @WMrapids

• Like 1

The office building reminds me of a taller version of the north office building across the street from Butterworth Hospital. I like it though. It blends in with the area without being a shapeless rectangle like the others around it. It was also a great idea to cover up the front portion of the parking structure with glass. The apartment tower is the same tired look that we're seeing far too much of, but I like that they at least cut in at the top and put what looks to be a patio up there. Also, not making half the building a parking ramp is a monumental step up from the previous design.

Edited by GRLaker

3 minutes ago, gvsusean said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like this? It's so uninspiring. Has so much garbage been put up lately that when something is OK we like it? Then again, its probably just me. Haha

It is a case where so much garbage has gone up that this looks like a masterpiece in comparison. However...It's no Lyon and Ottawa tower from the early 2000's by a long shot.

• Like 1