Height limitations and reasons for them...

Paramount747

I was not sure where to put this, but I am a little confused about our downtown code. 

I am referring to the article in which a gentleman paid 4.1 million dollars for a 1 acre parcel in the Gulch. It stated the lot he purchased could realize a 10 story structure with bonus height for LEED certification. However, less than a quarter mile away, stands Icon at 22 stories and 240 feet.

Some of these height restrictions are sometimes only feet away from each other. Parts of Sobro allow for 30 stories, and some allow for 8.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Another example was the

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might have something to do with the urban plans metro (I think it was metro) made years ago. They cooked up what should go where. I don't think it should have much legal force though. They're good plans that help the density of the city, but it seems private developers have more ambitious goals for our city and they should be allowed to go for it.

IMO...Inside the downtown loop = unlimited height (with a few exceptions like LoBro...maybe Germantown).

agree completely. lower broadway should be protected and keep its feel. other than that, if it's within the downtown loop, some of these height restrictions should be thrown out the window. land prices are sky high. allow developers to build tall buildings if they want to. will only encourage more development long term as developers will be able to more easily make the numbers work (and will allow us to have a dense urban fabric)

I was not sure where to put this, but I am a little confused about our downtown code. 

I am referring to the article in which a gentleman paid 4.1 million dollars for a 1 acre parcel in the Gulch. It stated the lot he purchased could realize a 10 story structure with bonus height for LEED certification. However, less than a quarter mile away, stands Icon at 22 stories and 240 feet.

Some of these height restrictions are sometimes only feet away from each other. Parts of Sobro allow for 30 stories, and some allow for 8.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Another example was the

Since it was adopted in 2010 the why is probably buried in council debates somewhere but the DTC is easy enough to read. 

http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Community-Planning-Design/Community-Plans/Downtown.aspx

Archived