Enough with the cross-posting, already.

Vrtigo

There has been an awful proliferation of cross-posting (same content in multiple different threads) recently. I realize that people want to ensure they are being heard, but this is getting to be a bit obnoxious. Pictures, news articles, or even general commentary shouldn't need to be posted in multiple places in the same forum.

Can we do anything to clarify the intent of a given thread to help direct our members to which thread a given piece of information belongs to? With so many that cover the same geographic area or specific topic, I can see where the confusion comes from.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried when I first changed all the pinned threads. That was before we had so many projects, however, I would advise that we limit all the new threads as they seem to get buried two, three or even four pages back, but that is a suggestion. 

I get confused too, because many times I have forgotten a new thread was started. I thought it was more efficient to keep all the projects by area of town. I tried to follow the keep it simple stupid strategy.

As I stated months ago, when U-P was upgraded and the mods attempted to consolidate topics within the forum, inherently the underlying software is ill-suited as a digital library, for which is what most followers tend to use it from time to time, as no provision exists to browse logical subject headings and sub-headings.  The Community Software is a blogging cage and is just not designed for human-viewable indexing and access points, as if it were a catalog with a controlled vocabulary, and even if it were, it would require a "professional-grade cataloger" to periodically manually each post with the industry-standard best practices.  I'm not speaking one way or another on the "cross-posting", but it's not difficult to observe frustration among those who choose to do so.

If the software at least would afford autonomy for each posting member to assign multiple subject and sub-categories from an HTML dynamic move-remove select-items listbox, for each post, then the mods could be empowered to create an agreed upon controlled list from which those selections could be made.  The effect would be that a post could be generated in whichever thread deemed germane to the content, but it could be cross-linked for access through a browse-and-click or through custom-criteria search filters, far more adapted to semantic-ranking and type-ahead "soundex" than the cheeZee search now provided.  Just a thought, in case aspiring developers may view this 10 years from now.
-==-

18 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I tried when I first changed all the pinned threads. That was before we had so many projects, however, I would advise that we limit all the new threads as they seem to get buried two, three or even four pages back, but that is a suggestion. 

I get confused too, because many times I have forgotten a new thread was started. I thought it was more efficient to keep all the projects by area of town. I tried to follow the keep it simple stupid strategy.

Fair points for sure, and I can completely understand where you were coming from. However, is it reasonable to say that maybe we are relying too much on these general geographic area threads?

It makes sense to me that, when we are discussing Gulch development as a general concept, that posts should go there. However, when we are discussing the Buckingham project specifically, that posts would go in that thread, and so on. I think this would not only reduce our reliance on these general geographic threads, but also ensure that each specific thread is kept more current and consolidated. You guys might initially have to do some more policing and moving posts around, but I think we would adjust pretty quickly.

Here's an idea:

Now that this forum allows for meta-tags on a given post thread, could we encourage the tagging of each post thread with its respective geographic area and then retire the existing geographic region threads? This would take some experimenting to ensure that it truly aggregates these threads in a helpful manner, but could be a nice positive change.

Archived