RVA2CLT

Help Stop Excessive 'Soft Commenting' in Topics!

10 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RVA2CLT said:

I may be totally out of line and off base, and I welcome anyone to 'check' me, but I feel I must bring this up.

I have been a little annoyed/discouraged from coming to the forums lately as I am finding topic after topic to be flooded with post after post of soft-commenting.

These comments contain no information, updates, nor throw up any real questions for discussion/debate or anything that really contributes/builds on the subject matter of each topic.

I see a lot of personal statements and 'back and forth' conversations between forum members in a topic which really should be in a PM or even an IM, just page after page of it or a lot of comments about 'I like this' or 'I think that if *insert general thing* is so then this other *obvious general correlation* is so'.

Maybe I'm just a super dick this week, but i appreciated being able to following a topic with relevant information, updates, and debates without a bunch of comments posted just for commenting sake.

Look, I do my best to search topics and not repost or re-share things that have already been shared or discussed in depth, because I know my fellow forum members don't want to see a new update to a topic, First Ward Park for example, only for me to say 'I like turtles and think there should be a turtle pond.' When the current discussion and last comment is about Dixie's Tavern building use. 

I just think we should ask ourselves before we post excessively, is this really contributing anything or sparking a conversation that hasn't already been hashed out already 5-10 pages back. 

I obviously take this too seriously.

Rant over.

This happens to be a slow time for news, so it's a lot of commentary. There's still breaking news sprinkled in there here and there, just not much going on right now

If discussion stops, the community will die, like most other UP boards.

2 people like this

I'm new to having an account with UP but I've been following it for a pretty long time. I love the community here. People try to keep things as polite as possible. Very little talk about the bad topics: politics, religion, sex, and money. Although, money is discussed pretty regularly here haha. 

The civility and good humor this forum has is always pleasant to read. People don't come just for the facts and development discussion. They also come for the discussion. Intelligent discussion among like minded people.

I personally don't mind and sometimes enjoy the banter that goes on and it doesn't take much away from the site experience.

Yes, the main purpose of this site is to talk about "urban" stuff which mostly means planning/development/architecture/skyscraper/Charlottean/economics or just chit chat in general. But if all that is posted is lists of new projects or whatever, the site loses its heart. Once people stop visiting to post, people stop visiting to read. The forum dies.

Now that that's said, I agree about people adding random posts to currently happening discussions. You wouldn't just walk up to someone in the middle of their conversation and blurt something out. It's frustrating to click on a page hoping for some new information or news and just having it be something completely irrelevant. But occasionally it's funny and often it's meaningful conversation, albeit not always on topic.

Also, you do take this too seriously. :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

This whole thread should've technically gone in Charlotte Coffeehouse, but shucks, it's still good improversation.

People don't understand the enthusiasm some have for development. I'm not sure why I like it but I just do. It has nothing to do with my studies or background. It just fascinates me. 

I'll try to have conversations with friends about stuff and sometimes they'll be mildly interested but I have to be careful to not carry on and on.

I bring up new developments about USC's campus or Columbia and most people basically say "cool." It's not that they dislike hearing about this stuff; they think it's "neat" but it just simply doesn't interest them. 

This topic should probably be moved to coffee house since there is pretty much nothing relevant going on.

UrbanPlanet is a discussion board, not a news outlet. We're here to talk about the urban environment - cities, streets, transit, buildings, economics, etc., and share thoughts and opinions about any related topic. As long as everyone is respectful towards each other then any and all comments are welcome.

If anyone has any concerns about this matter, please feel free to contact me or any of the other staff via PM. 

Thanks

1 person likes this