Opinion on Orlando's I-4 Conroy Exit bridge sign?

bsutter2

I think it looks great when coming from Tampa and you see this awesome sign with Downtown in the background. I just cant wait till downtown gets more buildings and looks a little more impressive from a distance. (BTW sorry, couldnt find a pic)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This can give you a rough idea of what it looks like. Excuse the blur.

img39037ao.jpg

Personally, I love the sign. I like how it acts as a gateway to the city and lets you know that you're entering Orlando proper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW... somebody that was accually doing less than 70 MPH on I-4, :rofl:

I believe Daytona's overpass decoration came first, followed by Palm Bay (Central Florida). Then Orlando (which I think is the best), later Jax.

Jeez...... I don't no how I forgot that. I got my easts and wests screwed up, which, I found out is very easy to do beings I-4 actually runs due North/South through downtown Orlando........anyway.

I personally think the sign is great. It is a gorgeous bridge also. To be honest, I'm not really sure how anybody could have a complaint about it.

Viewed from the Westbound lanes, the sign reads "Go the hell home!"

They're putting up similar signage for Altamonte Springs at the I-4/436 bridge.  Apparently, this has become quite the trend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they're just planning for the day when the sprawl is so great along I-4, people won't be able to tell they're passing through Orlando unless a gigantic sign declares it.

The Orlando bridge predates the JAX bridge by a couple of years. Interestingly enough, both of these structures were paid for with a significant amount of private investment. The Millenia Mall people needed the exit, and knew that they would generate a huge tax base. They fronted the money and got some incentives later on.

In JAX, most of the funding for the architectural items were bought by Flagler Properties. I am not sure if they received any incentives or not. but they spent some $$ on the structure and landscaping. IMO, the JAX bridge is not as good looking as the ORL bridge. The JAX bridge is skewed to the road, so the JACKSONVILLE sign is not as "readable". Also, the concrete beams are a little uglier than the steel box girder at Conroy. The monuments (towers and obelisks) are comparable, ORL are a little bit grander, but the JAX bridge seems to be more to scale with the rest of the structure. They could have done a better job color matching them with the rest of the structure though.

I really like this, fiber-optic lighting and Mellenia (sic) towers and all. However, they really need to fix the off ramp going eastbound on I-4 to Conroy. There should be 2 lanes turning right, not one; they don't need the 2 lanes turning left. Any opinions out there on this? That way, if you are going towards Target, you don't have to weave, and there's more capacity for the bulk of the movement through the off-ramp's signal.

They are similar, but like was said before, Orlando's makes a greater visual impact, not only because the structure is a bit taller, but its also in a built up area of town, whereas JAX's is just over the city limits in a wooded area. I like these kinds of signs, hopefully we will get more decorative overpasses in the future.

does anyone have a picture of the JAX sign?

I pass it every day but have no pics. I'll try to remember to grab my camera and take a snapshot or two of it.

As to compare the overpass to others, I would have to say the pedestrian walkway over International Speedway Blvd. in Daytona Beach is the best.

:wacko: No offense, but you all have WAY too much time on your hands with this topic. Come on people, their only Interstate overpass bridges. :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nooooooooo! Someone just trivialized my job into "its only an interstate bridge." If it wasn't for interstate bridges, it would take you forever to get to the mall.

Interstate bridges are just as important as any other type of bridge.

I'm a bridge engineer and I have spent the better part of my career designing "interstate" bridges. They are a lot more complex than they look. We work hard to make them look simple.

Boy, no more coffee for me...

Archived